Peak Rider: Sample-accurate, zero latency dynamic peak matching plugin. v1.10 released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PEAK RIDER is Now Available!

Hi all, Impact Soundworks has been producing sample libraries since 2008, but we are now venturing into the realm of plugin development. Our first plugin Peak Rider is now available and we're very excited about it!

Peak Rider is an effect that matches the dynamics (peaks) of a sidechain input to its primary input. It offers several processing modes and tweaking functions, including a ducking mode which inverts the sidechain input, dry/wet knob, response time, and so forth. The plugin works in real-time and is sample-accurate, so it can be used even in live/tracking scenarios.

TRIAL VERSION - Download Now!

What's it for?
---

Peak Rider can be used in countless mix scenarios where you want the dynamics of one signal to match another signal perfectly. Here are just a few examples.

1. Applying saturation + tape excitation to a drum loop normally makes it sound much fuller, but at the expense of dynamics. Peak Rider can match the processed loop to the dynamics of the dry loop, thus preserving 100% of transients and making sure the noise floor stays down where it belongs.

2. A sustained tonal sound like a pad can be matched to the dynamics of a rhythmic part, thus giving the tonal sound a perfectly locked-in groove.

3. White or pink noise can be shaped using a kick or snare track in order to add extra 'sizzle' to your drum hits.

4. Vocals can be given heavy reverb and then matched to a dry vocal track, creating a very spacious vocal sound without excessive reverb buildup.

5. Using the inverted (ducking) mode, a delay channel could be set to trigger only on the soft dynamics of a vocal part, without interfering with the loud notes.

There are countless other mix & sound design possibilities as well.

KEY FEATURES
* Single and multi-band processing
* Minimum & linear-phase crossovers
* Linked and independent stereo analysis
* Mid/side and left/right stereo processing
* Full control over band gain and envelope (attack, decay, transient analysis)
* FOUR processing modes: Exact, Noboost, Duck, Limit
* Full control over effect strength w/ Range and Mix
* Suitable for zero-latency / real-time operation
* Unintrusive serial number copy protection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8-4DFnRwMQ

What's the difference between Peak Rider and a compressor, limiter, etc?
---
Compressors, limiters, expanders (etc) must be set with careful attack, threshold, release, knee (etc) values based on program material. Even with a sidechaining compressor, you would need to continuously adjust these settings to get the same sort of matching effect as Peak Rider, which is incredibly time-consuming and must be redone depending on both the input and sidechain signal. Peak Rider has a "threshold" that constantly changes based on the relationship between the input and sidechain, and it may expand OR compress depending on the signals.

Platform / Price
---
VST & AU, 32/64bit
Free Trial available
INTRO: $79 / List $99

Read More & Download Peak Rider
Last edited by zircon on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Audio demos posted, more to come soon!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Will this require VST3? It's definitely something I can see myself using. I love to use distortion on drums but it flattens the dynamics.

No, it's running just fine as VST2 (we've tested in FL Studio & Reaper so far.)

only 32bit or will it also be available as 64bit?

zircon wrote:No, it's running just fine as VST2 (we've tested in FL Studio & Reaper so far.)
that's good enough for me. I wasn't sure how/if VST2 plugins handle sidechaining. I thought that was the benefit of VST3?

It varies on a per-daw basis, but we're definitely using VST 2.4 for the current version and it's working just fine in multiple DAWs. Of course we'll do more testing as well on multiple platforms.

Yes, this will be 32bit and 64bit.

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this.

Cool! I have use cases for it right now. How much will it cost?

I would much much much much prefer VST3 for Cubase, because setting up a sidechain in VST2 is a PITA in Cubase.

Maybe you could offer both VST2 and VST3 versions at the installation process?

This is really cool. Great idea!

I was dubious at first, but the demos are compelling. How about one with tight vocal harmonies?

bbaggins wrote:I was dubious at first, but the demos are compelling. How about one with tight vocal harmonies?
For that automated hiccup effect? That'll be cool.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Yes, we're looking into having a VST3 version available as well with the install.

Regarding vocal harmonies: you mean a demo where there is a main vocal and a couple harmonies, and the harmonies would be linked to the main vocal dynamics? Sure, I can give that a shot.

bbaggins wrote:I was dubious at first, but the demos are compelling. How about one with tight vocal harmonies?
+1. I wasn't expecting much, but the demos are impressive. Especially the idea of distorted guitar tones with the dynamics of clean tones. I expect there will be a bunch of fun, more creative uses also. I'll be watching this...

Any idea on price?

Sounds potentially very good, keep my eye on this.

Return to “Effects”