In praise of older plugs.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can anybody tell me the difference between 32 and 64 bit plugin, that is physically modeled(no samples)? Is it "only" that you don't have to JBridge it to your 64bit daw or is there sth I miss?

I also still like Oddity and the Korg plugs. Nice stuff

All the real Pros(tm) still use Model E.

ludvicek wrote:Can anybody tell me the difference between 32 and 64 bit plugin, that is physically modeled(no samples)? Is it "only" that you don't have to JBridge it to your 64bit daw or is there sth I miss?
Yup, I believe so. The RAM footprint of erm, 'real' synths is negligible compared to the RAM required for sample libraries. 64 bit is only really beneficial in a heavily sample-reliant workflow, as you suspected :).

Rah wrote:I also still like Oddity and the Korg plugs. Nice stuff
+1. And ImpOSCar is still as fat, yet lightweight, as the day I got it! Amazing.

Even though they have newer versions, I would say that Absynth and FM8 still have the guts of synths from that initial wave. Still great, cpu light synths. The newer features in Absynth can use some cpu but FM8 barely registers.

I'm still waiting to get my copy of Edirol VSC. :hihi:

Winstontaneous wrote:VAZ Modular has been around a long time and still sounds fabulous. The Cosmo Oscillators, Granular Oscillator, K Filter (Korg MS20) and Comb Filter are phenomenal. It also has some interesting Buchla/Serge-inspired control modules, crazy sequencers, and hosts VSTs.

It's one of the few things I miss from Windows. I haven't found a modular with its combo of great sound / deep programming possibilities / ease of use since switching to a Mac.
I'm right with you on that. I still use VAZ as one of the benchmark standards in the "do it sound like hardware" tests I do. Hard to say it's old though, there was an update last year if memory serves... it sure does look old though. Every time I use it I feel like I'm using Windows 3.1 :hihi: It's a lot cheaper now then when I got it too, which put's it in line with the price of Zebra 2 but it sounds like Diva. 8)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Even though they have newer versions, I would say that Absynth and FM8 still have the guts of synths from that initial wave. Still great, cpu light synths. The newer features in Absynth can use some cpu but FM8 barely registers.
+1
Really gaining more respect for these synths, especially Absynth.
I'm finding one thing to be annoying about Reaktor and that is its CPU use.
Plus Absynth seems to have the sounds I'm trying to get at anyway.
So much so, I've been contemplating offing K9U and replacing it only with just Absynth (FM8 is a close second in their line though) So far, K5, Reaktor, and even Massive have been somewhat disappointing.

Absynth has been very light on my CPU.

I still use PlastiCZ and Vanguard for their specific 'vintage' sound. Plasticy and chompy.

Messiah has some really interesting features such as being able to stick four waves together to make a longer one, then use osc sync on it for weird effects.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Old doesn't mean bad or not as good.
A minmoog is old, it ain't bad though :wink:

Camelphat and Camelspace are no spring chickens.
Still excellent hough.
Same goes for the Ohmforce plugins.

Speaking of FX I picked up Waves Enigma yesterday. It's been around since about 2000 I think, and is still something special. Actually, it used to be my secret beat wonking weapon a long time ago :oops:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I think we have to differentiate between old plug ins and plug is that have been around a long time but are still currently in development.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I recently got back into older NI synths, got Pro-53, FM7 and Absynth 3, and love them to bits, especially FM7.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Return to “Instruments”