Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Thanks!

inkwarp wrote:a multitude of freebies, ( which i still use, esp. stuff like smartelectronix, uhe freebies ( tyrrel is awesome for a freebie, then there is podolski..and zebralette etc... vember surge, all great synths )
Um...sorry for going a bit off topic, but...since when is Surge free? Unless I'm missing something...
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:
inkwarp wrote:a multitude of freebies, ( which i still use, esp. stuff like smartelectronix, uhe freebies ( tyrrel is awesome for a freebie, then there is podolski..and zebralette etc... vember surge, all great synths )
Um...sorry for going a bit off topic, but...since when is Surge free? Unless I'm missing something...
he has got the advert for free, probably...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

OBXD sounds really great but the gui is so horrible it really turns me off... it doesn't look like the graphics are easily accessible on the Mac version so I can't easily modify it either...

beely wrote:OBXD sounds really great but the gui is so horrible it really turns me off... it doesn't look like the graphics are easily accessible on the Mac version so I can't easily modify it either...
Horrible? :nutter:

Doc Brown wrote:
beely wrote:OBXD sounds really great but the gui is so horrible it really turns me off... it doesn't look like the graphics are easily accessible on the Mac version so I can't easily modify it either...
Horrible? :nutter:
..and full of GRATITUDE for an awesome FREE synth, labour of love, with tons of energy spent to code it and shared kindly and FOR FREE with all of us computer musicians.

:shrug:

beely wrote:OBXD sounds really great but the gui is so horrible...
If you search this thread, you'll find some more recent posts where Layzer links to some compiled versions with different looking GUI colors that might strike your fancy. I'm fine with it except for the actual bgd color, which I personally would have liked to see lighter and much less saturated, closer to the original OB-X color. Hopefully there will eventually be a new version for the newer build to make room for more options, so it's likely to change somewhat. But it's really not that bad and it's the sound that really matters.

If you have the skills you're welcome to try your hand at suggestions. Historically, Layzer put the GUI together but it was somewhat of a community project... ;)

Diego_C wrote:..and full of GRATITUDE for an awesome FREE synth, labour of love, with tons of energy spent to code it and shared kindly and FOR FREE with all of us computer musicians.
As I said, it sounds really good and I was really impressed having a quick play last night. But I find the gui painful to look at and it makes me not want to use it (I wasn't really asking whether other people *agree* with me, I was seeing whether anything could be done about it, even if it was just on my machine).
Breeze wrote:If you search this thread, you'll find some more recent posts where Layzer links to some compiled versions with different looking GUI colors that might strike your fancy
I did go through these but from what I saw they were all compiled PC versions, there were no Mac versions, so unfortunately they were not anything I could use. And while in many ways some of those were better than the default, they still weren't up to the quality I'd personally like to see.

I had a look at the Mac AU component bundle, but the bitmaps are not exposed so I couldn't modify them.
Breeze wrote:If you have the skills you're welcome to try your hand at suggestions. Historically, Layzer put the GUI together but it was somewhat of a community project... ;)
*If* they could be modified, I was going to have a look to see if I could do something a bit better, but as there is no way I can see to do this, it's a bit hit and miss to do a bunch of graphic work and then hope maybe someone else is going to put it in the product.

Anyway - great synth, which is let down in quality imo by the current graphics...

beely wrote:*If* they could be modified, I was going to have a look to see if I could do something a bit better, but as there is no way I can see to do this, it's a bit hit and miss to do a bunch of graphic work and then hope maybe someone else is going to put it in the product.

Anyway - great synth, which is let down in quality imo by the current graphics...
You can always make an image of what would be your vision of the synth (including the new, currently hidden) parameters, and post it for us to talk about. Since this has been kind of a collective effort, I think noone will oppose to this. If and when we reach a consensus, then you would have to work on the elements, together with 2Dat (which will have a kind of veto power, of course :wink: ).
Fernando (FMR)

If the GUI thing is just about the skin i have to say i still like the current one. Very clear and easy to use IMO.
Calling it "horrible" like beely did is just plain wrong IMO.

If there should be an "official" change of the skin please tell me what you would like to improve. AFAIk this was already dicussed a lot here when the current GUI/skin was done and there were a few changes at that time.
fmr wrote:
beely wrote:*If* they could be modified, I was going to have a look to see if I could do something a bit better, but as there is no way I can see to do this, it's a bit hit and miss to do a bunch of graphic work and then hope maybe someone else is going to put it in the product.

You can always make an image of what would be your vision of the synth (including the new, currently hidden) parameters, and post it for us to talk about. Since this has been kind of a collective effort, I think noone will oppose to this. If and when we reach a consensus, then you would have to work on the elements, together with 2Dat (which will have a kind of veto power, of course :wink: ).

I agree. If you would like to change a GUI that IMO is alreacy good you should have to show how you would like it to look.

Again kudos to layzer for the current GUI. :tu:
Also looking forward to his new approch of the GUI (as mentioned recently). I am quite sure he could do something great again.

PS:
still love OBXD and am looking forward to the new 64-bit update. The 32-bit beta looks promising so far.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

+ 1 on the current GUI

fmr wrote:You can always make an image of what would be your vision of the synth (including the new, currently hidden) parameters, and post it for us to talk about. Since this has been kind of a collective effort, I think noone will oppose to this. If and when we reach a consensus, then you would have to work on the elements, together with 2Dat (which will have a kind of veto power, of course :wink: ).
Indeed - but the effort and energy required in designing something for me and my own tastes, versus designing something for *everyone elses* taste, with the inevitable differences of opinion and compromises is rather different. Not to mention that without knowing how the existing bitmaps are organised, it means extra work in designing the graphics one way without being able to implement and test them, and then even if we get through the group consensus (not to mention the original developer/s opinions of what he wants his product to be) then re-engineering them again to supply something that would work.

I'm not saying I'm against that, just that it's a rather bigger project than I'm willing to undertake at this point.

As can be seen from some of the responses here, some of you don't see a problem with the way it is now. I'm not expecting everyone to have the same tastes as me (which was another reason why I was not stepping up to offer myself to the communal resource). I don't mean to denigrate the work of others, nor deem to suggest mine may be superior in any way - I was looking to see whether there is a way to easily improve the situation and help make this thing more usable to me - and then perhaps in time, offer it up to the community when I was happy with it and if I thought it had some value. It seems there is not.

Unfortunately for my tastes, the current GUI (or at least parts of it, there are other things I like) just doesn't match up to the quality of the synth and imo does it a disservice, so much so that it will probably prevent me wanting to open it up and use it.

For the people who are offended by my opinions, and think it's the most beautiful thing they've ever seen, well you can just happily assume I'm wrong, I have no taste and probably have no skills to be able to do it justice anyway, and we'll leave it at that... :party:

Great synth though. :clap: 8)

I do agree that the skin could be better. It is at least usable, but other than that, I'm not happy with some decisions in it either.

Ingonator wrote:If you would like to change a GUI that IMO is alreacy good you should have to show how you would like it to look.
If the graphics were exposed, then no, I wouldn't, I could just play with it on my own and needn't involve anyone else.

As it is though, then yes, that should be the case, but that's not really was I was after - anyway, I have my answer, so thanks anyway...

It's one thing to complain about a gui because it is ergonomically challenged, but as long as that is not the case (definitely not the case with the OBXD), I will never understand why people spend so much time on skins etc. instead of actually using the plugin. Other than ergonomics a gui would have to be incredibly ugly to make me want to stop using the plugin just because of that when the sound is excellent. Same with Charlatan etc.

Return to “Instruments”