Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

kbaccki wrote: Was able to reverse engineer the jucer file (which IMO should be checked in), compile with latest JUCE (3.08 vs. 3.02), build for AU, VST, and VST3, 32+64 bit universal. Have not yet brought the same source to windows to compile under VC++. 2DaT doesn't seem to concerned with keep the repo updated across forks etc., but personally I think having all relevant builds source from a single branch would be ideal, including any skin tweaks, jucer file, etc.

BTW, for patch manager, would be nice to have maybe some matrix style glowey glyphs? Also, I think layzer's GUI shows that even with the current size there's plenty of real estate on the left side to squeeze in a minimalist patch UI. Maybe something like this:

Rather than having up/down buttons for bank, patch, etc., drop down a bank/patch menu.
I like that LCD mimic, if it is doable. And where are the compiled binaries for the Mac? Did you use the latest Layzer skin?
Fernando (FMR)

Haven't heard back from layer on the bitmaps, maybe he's busy with stuff. Will update with a OSX build once the various moving parts solidify.

RE: led display... unless one already exists (which I haven't seen), considering putting together a simple side project to create a LED JUCE module. Think I want to stay away from traditional fonts to make it easier to implement (pre-baked) bloom alpha layers, arbitrary scaling and spacing, bleed through of unlit LED elements, etc. etc.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

kbaccki wrote:RE: led display... unless one already exists (which I haven't seen), considering putting together a simple side project to create a LED JUCE module. Think I want to stay away from traditional fonts to make it easier to implement (pre-baked) bloom alpha layers, arbitrary scaling and spacing, bleed through of unlit LED elements, etc. etc.
So, you are going to do it?
Fernando (FMR)

kbaccki wrote: RE: led display... unless one already exists (which I haven't seen)
Xplorer has such oberheimish display, so it seems the resources exist.
http://xplorer.programmer.free.fr/

:-)

P.

my hope for obxd2 (or obxd3) would be 3 oscillators , at least 1 filter type with self osc (possibly a CEM3320 inspired one) , positive&negative amounts for Mod/F Env, reset for LFO, & a bit higher LFO rates.
if no space for a 3rd osc then a sub osc with selectable waveform (must include also sawtooth).
then it'd be all I use. I'd pay for it more than happily.

Why not leave it the way it is? Minor updates, why not, but a third oscillator?! Aren't there enough more powerful synths out there already? The OBXD is an emulation after all...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Why not leave it the way it is? Minor updates, why not, but a third oscillator?! Aren't there enough more powerful synths out there already? The OBXD is an emulation after all...
It's not exactly a emulation, but I agree. Those changes would alter its character completely. I would rather have 2Dat work on a new synth "inspired" by the Xpander/Matrix-12 instead :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Why not leave it the way it is? Minor updates, why not, but a third oscillator?! Aren't there enough more powerful synths out there already? The OBXD is an emulation after all...
if you want to leave it the way it is just keep using obxd., ignore obx2 or future versions. simple.
who cares if there's more powerful synths already? is there one made by 2dat? No. do they sound as good as this? No.
by same logic there was already emulations of ob-x already...but thank god 2dat decided to make one too as it sounds much better than what was available imo.
it'd be my workhorse synth with a few added features. that's all I care about.whether it's an emulation or not i couldn't care less. i only care if it sounds good or not.

2dat 's made the best oscillators out there imo (the saws are best of any softsynth i have ).I'd love 3 of them so i don't even have to use other synths for 3osc sounds (i already load 2 obxd instances instead of of reaching for other synths anyway...)

just letting 2dat know if he makes a workhorse synth out of this I'm happy to support/pay. maybe to be released with another name so clueless trolls who think they care about accurate emulations without having never used or heard the original can remain content as switching off an extra oscillator would be too much challenging for them or would ruin their enjoyment of the synth.
btw OBXD has a 24db slope filter which OP-X did not have nor it shares anything in common with the OBXa CEM3320 24db (doesn't sound even close)....but you'd be crazy to leave it out as it is invaluable feature to have a 24db. by your logic it should be left out cos it's not" emulation."
Last edited by olikana on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fmr wrote:
It's not exactly a emulation, but I agree. Those changes would alter its character completely. I would rather have 2Dat work on a new synth "inspired" by the Xpander/Matrix-12 instead :wink:
the charachter of what ? not of the sound. you'd still be able to make the same exact sound ignoring or switching off the added features.
btw the xpander has most of the features I suggested :roll:

Hey, I have no problem at all with a more complete synth. But why not make a new one (for which he could reuse most of the code), then he would not have to give a crap anymore whether features have anything in common with Oberheim gear.

Whether the saw is THE best out there, well, that is a rather subjective issue...

I suppose three of those oscillators would be too much for my computer anyway. I could use one or two instances and that would be it.

olikana wrote:
fmr wrote:
the charachter of what ? not of the sound. you'd still be able to make the same exact sound ignoring or switching off the added features.
The character of the Oberheims. You have no Oberheim, AFAIK, that has three oscillators. And the Xpander has most of the features you suggested AND a lot more, with the advantage that is is known by many people, who are eager to get one. But it still only has two oscillators...
Fernando (FMR)

When you got quality oscillators, two are simply enough most of the time. And for those rare cases when they aren't you can always stack two instances.

I was listening to the audio demos of the Arturia SEM yesterday, that synth sure does sound good and mighty, even without the sub-osc.

olikana wrote:
fmr wrote:
Like fmr, I can't remember having ever seen an Oberheim with three oscillators.

If you want something which is "Oberheimish" but with three oscillators, take Image-Line SimSynth. In addition to the "Oberheimish" filters it will give you three "Moogish" oscillators. And even 6 oscillators if you set them dual. In short: a kind of mongrel which gathers the two world giving you the proud impression that you play a Moog in the same time than an Oberheim. With its three oscillators you will be happy.

But please, let the people who enjoy the Oberheim sounds with two oscillators stay with these two oscillators (I repeat, Oberheim has never wanted to put three oscillators on their synths, and they were devilishly right!). A third oscillators would make something so much different that it would be quite impossible to recognize the Oberheim sounds in it. So go to a SimSynth, it costs almost nothing (it is very cheap, you would miss something incredibly good for you by not taking it while it matches perfectly your criteria) and you'll be happy.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

[Duplicate - mea culpa...]
Last edited by Breeze on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breeze wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I was listening to the audio demos of the Arturia SEM yesterday, that synth sure does sound good and mighty, even without the sub-osc.
Actually, I got the Arturia Collection a few months ago. I just remembered that Arturia implemented a limited Mod Matrix as I discussed earlier on a separate page (the source of my "inspiration"? :oops: ), as well as customizable Key Follow for 5 choices out of all possible destinations and 5 more selections from same (pan + all other destinations) for setting individual variations for the 8-voices.

It's a limited but very flexible implementation; the Mod Matrix works exactly like the Xpander/M-12 and allows CC control to be an offset of the patch setting in either direction, and the Key Follow options allow fine tuning control signals over ranges, solving some modulation behaviors that don't work across the entire keyboard and can't be fixed any other way.

Without the effects and the sub-osc, the SEM V was actually the one synth that sounded closest to the OBXD. Some OBXD patches I made from SEM patches sound exactly the same.

Return to “Instruments”