Closest thing to Cobalt (Leslie Sanford) (64bit update)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

n/m
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

pocvecem wrote:If you sample a single wavecycle and play it back in a sampler all frequencies are equally transposed. So the higher note you play the brighter the sample will sound. Same effect occurs when you import such a single cycle wave into synths like Synthmaster, Alchemy ....
To avoid this you have to sample every note or at least every second.
But isn't Cobalt doing the same thing? I mean isn't it using the single cycle waveform as an ocsillator, the same way Toxic3 or whatever would? I'm thinking the difference would be that I'm using a rendered sound, instead of a 1:1 copy, but otherwise the same.

Feel free to correct me. I don't claim to really know what's going on :oops:
It's

Hi all
Anyone has fresh news of Leslie?
I would so much to ask him a 64 bit version of Cobalt... :oops:

I liked Cobalt, and then when I was actually going to buy it.. it wasn't available anymore :?

It would be cool if he made it into a CM edition as it isn't selling now anyways.

newluc wrote:Hi all
Anyone has fresh news of Leslie?
I would so much to ask him a 64 bit version of Cobalt... :oops:
He could probably do it one afternoon after lunch. Talented guy...I was sad to see him bow out of plugin development.

Examigan wrote:I liked Cobalt, and then when I was actually going to buy it.. it wasn't available anymore :?

It would be cool if he made it into a CM edition as it isn't selling now anyways.
They've chosen to stick with apps that are mac/pc, so a mac version
of Cobalt would have to be created. In essence, CM traded some great
small-footprint pc-only instruments, for a few more meg of daft samples
on their 8gig dvd...

...thud :hihi:

glokraw wrote:
Examigan wrote:I liked Cobalt, and then when I was actually going to buy it.. it wasn't available anymore :?

on their 8gig dvd...

Or if he didn't want to support it at all anymore, just release it as freeware.

Examigan wrote:
glokraw wrote:

on their 8gig dvd...

Or if he didn't want to support it at all anymore, just release it as freeware.
Perhaps it was poor sales of the plugins released after Cobalt,
that led to his change of focus. Lots of work, for little reward.
Sometimes people get so accustomed to freebies, and they don't
respect the commercial releases. If he saw his collection in
typical warez locales, that may have iced it. He's not an old codger,
so maybe there will be a new product in some other sphere.
Cobalt and SanfordPhazerCM are brilliant.
(It's easier to control releases and value of physical media
compared to digital works. If an author prefers a particular commercial
product to conclude it's run, it's fine by me.)
Cheers

cosmosis wrote:
pocvecem wrote:If you sample a single wavecycle and play it back in a sampler all frequencies are equally transposed. So the higher note you play the brighter the sample will sound. Same effect occurs when you import such a single cycle wave into synths like Synthmaster, Alchemy ....
To avoid this you have to sample every note or at least every second.
But isn't Cobalt doing the same thing? I mean isn't it using the single cycle waveform as an ocsillator, the same way Toxic3 or whatever would? I'm thinking the difference would be that I'm using a rendered sound, instead of a 1:1 copy, but otherwise the same.

Feel free to correct me. I don't claim to really know what's going on :oops:
Erm, i'm not very good at explaining such things (especially in english) but i'll try. Here are two pics of a saw wave from Cableguys Curve2CM that should explain it.

First a normal saw wave without bandlimit. You see that the spectrum doesn't end at 20khz.

Then the same saw wave with a bandlimited oscillator. You see a -3db cut at 8khz and a complete roll-off at 16khz. These two frequency cuts remain static no matter which note you play.

I don't know if the oscillators in Toxic are bandlimited or not. But with a single sample or single cycle .wav played back with a sampler the frequency cuts are "transposed" by the note you play.
The only way i see to keep the frequeny character of a synth is sampling all note numbers and make a multisample file.

Hope that helps.
EAT - SLEEP - SYNTH
http://soundcloud.com/pocvecem

OK, so I think I gather that using a single-cycle waveform as an oscillator is not that different than how a sampler like kontak would play back transposed samples.

I doubt I'll be spending too much time, but I'm thinking it might be fun to make Kontakt instruments out of the vocal waveforms from Cobalt, chromatically sampled (for private use). It's probably not the best use of my time, but maybe I'll learn something :)
It's

fandango, can you email me when it's convenient for you?

I was going to pm/email you, but you have those options disabled. :)

Cobalt 64bit :o

Wow!!!
Thank you Leslie :)

pocvecem wrote:But with a single sample or single cycle .wav played back with a sampler the frequency cuts are "transposed" by the note you play.
The only way i see to keep the frequeny character of a synth is sampling all note numbers and make a multisample file.

Hope that helps.
Ah, I just re-read this and it clicked. So sample every note unless you can get a hold of the original waveform or at least before it's been filtered.

Also, yay for Leslie peeking his head out.
It's

Leslie got in touch with me shortly after I posted with a 64bit beta to try out. I've been trying to keep quiet about it until Leslie had a chance to email the old customerbase. Cranked up to 11 on the excitement scale. :D

Thank you so much Leslie!

I got my update email awhile back (maybe a week or so).

Return to “Instruments”