Any news from Klanghelm?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In an email discussion about this topic, Tony said the four compression styles in the easy mode are separate compressors, which can't be exactly replicated with the Expert mode.

samsam wrote:In an email discussion about this topic, Tony said the four compression styles in the easy mode are separate compressors, which can't be exactly replicated with the Expert mode.
Which matches up with what I remember from that Gearslutz (coulda been KVR) thread, and what I also remember him saying about DC1A being a separate compressor too!

Actually Tony just answeredthis in another thread - it is yet a bit different:

tonhelm wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote:What about an option to create some custom settings under the hood, but then save them as extra buttons, say 4 more buttons under the normal snap, punch, etc?

That way you could have a number of custom set ups but still only deal with basic controls while mixing.
well, that's a tough one, because there are so many ways in DC8C to influence, for instance the release time. IIRC, in SMOOTH mode for instance, you control the GR smoothing the prog dep and the actual release at the same time with the release knob. the controls in EASY mode are kind of macro controls. depending on the mode the ratio knob can also change the shape parameter and so on. One thing, I really often do is leave attack and release at minimum and control the timing of the compression with the GR smoothing alone. To make a custom mode I'd need to be able to map the gr smoothing to the release knob in easy mode. Can you follow me? That's not easily done, unfortunately :(

Tony

So the styles are indeed presets of the advanced mode plus then the available controls become macros which 'under the hood' control several parameters at once in a certain way - which is totally smart&awesome and which is why it is fair to say that each style is like a different compressor, even if every individual setting that uses any of the styles could be fully replicated with the advanced mode.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

^ what I posted was quoting Tony so unless he's changed his mind, he said easy mode presets cannot be replicated in advanced mode

Huh? Where is your quote? :?

I quoted Tony, right there above your post in which you state that you quoted him and he indirectly says in this post that the styles are indeed subsets of the advanced mode, so I have no idea what in the seven holy cow's name you could possibly be on about... :help:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:Huh? Where is your quote? :?

I quoted Tony, right there above your post in which you state that you quoted him and he indirectly says in this post that the styles are indeed subsets of the advanced mode, so I have no idea what in the seven holy cow's name you could possibly be on about... :help:
You have no idea what i'm on about? Really?

What I wrote was quoting Tony. I didn't make that clear in my first post (which may have seen like my paraphrasing what he said) so I clarified it in my second. I quoted him, from an email he wrote me, meaning I used his words. No, I didn't use the KVR quote function as it doesn't exist for external emails, and i didn't use quotation marks. I just quoted him.So, in effect, we both quoted him.

Quoted. To quote.

the controls in the easy modes are indeed kind of macro controls as I wrote in another thread. But I had to apply other tweaks to each of them to make them coherent and to avoid volume jumps when switching between the modes. I also refined every mode to stand out and give it its own stamp.

Also the attack and release parameters are working are bit different in EASY mode - they are not as direct and strong as in EXPERT mode and more like in other traditional comps.

So in the end the EASY modes can't be exactly reproduced in EXPERT mode, although they share more or less the same algos/processes.

Tweaks I did were for instance:
- applying an additional saturation stage in the CRUSH mode
- changing the order of the processes
- applying traditional knee to some

Tony

The more you know about the DC8C... great stuff, Tony.

Just recently got my DC8C. Wow! Beautiful compressor! It's now my go-to, all the others can get a rest (except The Glue, maybe..). Can't believe I got this for 20 euros. Excellent job Tony, you deserve all the credit.

Tony...are there any updates planned for DC8C?

How do you update something that is virtually perfect? :D

I'd love to hear how DC8C sounds at ridiculous oversampling levels though (like The Glue which can oversample up to 64 times, going to several Ghz of internal samplerate). I bet it'd be awesome.. or perhaps no change at all.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:How do you update something that is virtually perfect? :D

I'd love to hear how DC8C sounds at ridiculous oversampling levels though (like The Glue which can oversample up to 64 times, going to several Ghz of internal samplerate). I bet it'd be awesome.. or perhaps no change at all.

Cheers!
bManic
I agree, this is going to be a hard act to follow. But if anyone can do it...

bmanic wrote:How do you update something that is virtually perfect? :D

Cheers!
bManic
wow, thanks for the kind words.

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of oversampling. That's why I wanted to design a compressor that doesn't need it :)
And TBH, I'm only hearing a subtle benefit with the OS set to 8x. (Un)fortunately, I had to spend a lot of time in the past few months on OS filters due to my upcoming saturation effect. I'll probably apply some changes to the OS in DC8C too. Running DC8C at 64x sample rate would be a great experiment indeed, because I'm not sure how that would turn out, just as you :)

Tony

Any news concerning the new plugin ?

Tony, how are things progressing? :-)
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

:hug:

Return to “Effects”