Any news from Klanghelm?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tonhelm wrote:Image
Just gorgeous :love: !

tonhelm wrote:
medienhexer wrote:Any news for the impatient? :-)
Oh man, I know why I don't want to announce stuff before it's ready to release. There are always last minute changes, little nitpicks, new ideas that suddenly need to be implemented before the release, so it's just not possible to give a proper release date before a beta is finished. But I kinda announced it already. It's to late :help: You ask - I answer, simple as that 8)

The beta for the free version is done. Here's a screenshot of the free version:

I'm holding back the release until the big version enters beta phase (in about a week I hop) and I got some first feedback to estimate the remaining work.

In any case, I'm glad that you're keen on new Klanghelm plugins.
So in this case: thanks for your impatience :wink:

Tony
Shut up and take my money! :hyper: :wheee: :hyper:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Also waiting (im)patiently!

Great looking GUI ! And I bet it will share same high standard as DC8C.
So is that an all purpose saturator ? A console emu ? Something else ?

I'm guessing a sort of console emu.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

jens wrote:
tonhelm wrote: The beta for the free version is done. Here's a screenshot of the free version:

I'm holding back the release until the big version enters beta phase (in about a week I hop) and I got some first feedback to estimate the remaining work.

In any case, I'm glad that you're keen on new Klanghelm plugins.

Tony
Shut up and take my money! :hyper: :wheee: :hyper:
Shut up and upload the interface alone, process disabled ! :P

Aiynzahev wrote:I'm guessing a sort of console emu.
Looks like a cross between that and a saturator with the drive function. I really like the Klanghelm compressors so this should be interesting.

This is a saturation (distortion) plugin with (optional) crosstalk capabilities and further influence on the strength of the distortion (drive), the shape (ASYM) and the frequency response (RESPONSE) or better said, how strong the frequency is influenced.

It's not a console emulation of any sort.

See it as plain drive module or "preamp" if you will. If I got that right, IVGI (as this plugin is called) currently offers saturation from a tube-type distortion device. It will offer mode components in the full version.

Think of... MellowMuse SATV or SoundToys Decapitator... only that it's not like that currently.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

ferez21 wrote:
TheoM wrote:Got to admit, it took me a while, but i have not only warmed up to DC8C, i am positively sizzling when i use it! :-o
Theo, what have changed from your initial use of it? Any tricks i should know about as a first time user to shorten the learning curve?
Well i was trying initially to start OFF with advanced mode, and it was laid out in a way i didn't understand, then i would switch to simple and the sound would change (which is expected as the settings can't be the same between the two modes as such)

So believe it or not i checked a few presets which i don't normally do with this type of effects to help understand it better.

Also, the first thing i got to know after this what the simple mode very very well and exactly how each algorithm worked.

I am not 100% with advanced mode yet but i am pretty sure i have nutted out the kind of sounds simple produces. Now i am working with presets to fully understand the advanced mode as well as trying to replicate my own simple presets.

I'll get there eventually but my own advice in this case is to choose only one mode to start with instead of swapping all the time like i was, and learn it thoroughly. I do recommend simple first, as it has plenty of control like any other tool to get great results. Use all four modes, do some drastic compression, gentle, and just get to know how they all react. it's almost like 4 different plugins and then the advanced mode on top. When comfortable with simple mode, dedicate time to learning the advanced mode.. this is where i am currently at. and the way i am doing it in my case is now that i have some songs with settings in simple mode i love, is to switch and try figure out exactly where the changes are then learn how to get a similar sound with advanced. Of course this might seem silly to some as advanced allows you to do much more but it's my own method as such of learning the tool. That way i can learn what the differences are between them and at least it is showing ME how to get the sounds i like with the advanced mode, as i already HAD the sound i like just before.. make sense? Then once i feel i *understand* it and all the controls, i will start experimenting and getting deep into the extra and what advanced mode can actually *do* above and beyond simple. I hope i am explaining it right but it's the correct method for the way my brain works. Learn how to get the basic sound i want, then experiment with all the extra features and sculpting to understand what they actually do.

Look it just didn't have the immediate results i am used to with other stuff and i have to admit it really does not sound like other comps at all IMO..did anyone else find this? it's got a very unique flavour..i don't think it's "standard", i think it's "klanghelm" and even in simple mode, to appreciate this tool, you need to learn that klanghelm sound. Like with most comps i can nut them out immediately as they all seem to have a flavour, yes, but react the way i would expect generally. There is something about DC8C that simply doesn't (even the free one) and was throwing me or putting me off.. but it really seems a matter of just learning how to use it as it's very capable.

Anyway sorry for convoluted reply, i promise you it makes sense to me :lol: but yeah it's hard to explain in text what's in one's brain sometimes. I guess the very simple version of the answer would be.. devoting a lot of time to it to understand it's internal behaviour, since the initial impressions (in my case) was that it was "off" or weird. So the answer is time. There's the simple version. :oops:

Theo, think of it this way, with DC8C you have 4 simple compressors. They are: 1) smooth, 2) snap, 3) punch, 4) crush. Each of them is a unique compressor with some basic controls that they all have in common. The only controls are what you see on the panel.

Then there's a fifth compressor with a lot controls called advanced. That has nothing to do with the other modes, this is an additional mode and it's kind of a super-compressor with all of it's parameters.

Now, this is not to mention you still have DC1A which is even another compressor.

So basically: if you own DC8C and DC1A you essentially have 6 compressors to play with split between two plugin dll's.

tonhelm wrote:
medienhexer wrote:Any news for the impatient? :-)
Oh man, I know why I don't want to announce stuff before it's ready to release. There are always last minute changes, little nitpicks, new ideas that suddenly need to be implemented before the release, so it's just not possible to give a proper release date before a beta is finished. But I kinda announced it already. It's to late :help: You ask - I answer, simple as that 8)
Tony
Yeah, sorry for that. Occupational hazard, as they say. Although I can't say if this came with the job or if the job came because it's always been there ;-)
tonhelm wrote: In any case, I'm glad that you're keen on new Klanghelm plugins.
Tony
Well, the compressor was a great first product - great features, first rate sound, complete format and platform support, crazy GUI, stable, and yes... a very generous price.

Of course I am / we are looking forward to hearing any news on your development. :-)
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

It is a near perfect compressor for doing side-chaining because of how flexible the curves are. I find that Vengeance sidechainer is a bit unnatural sounding and it's hard to set it up so that it doesn't create clicks from the sudden volume changes. This is VST3 so I can use it in Cubase Artist. I really appreciate VST3 compressors. Otherwise I'd have to dish out $$$ for the full Cubase and still have a complex process to go through.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Theo, think of it this way, with DC8C you have 4 simple compressors. They are: 1) smooth, 2) snap, 3) punch, 4) crush. Each of them is a unique compressor with some basic controls that they all have in common. The only controls are what you see on the panel.

Then there's a fifth compressor with a lot controls called advanced. That has nothing to do with the other modes, this is an additional mode and it's kind of a super-compressor with all of it's parameters.

Now, this is not to mention you still have DC1A which is even another compressor.

So basically: if you own DC8C and DC1A you essentially have 6 compressors to play with split between two plugin dll's.

Isn't it rather the case that the four styles in simple mode and also the DC1A are different "ROM"-presets of the advanced mode?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:

Isn't it rather the case that the four styles in simple mode and also the DC1A are different "ROM"-presets of the advanced mode?
That's what i thought.. would only make sense
:hug:

jens wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Theo, think of it this way, with DC8C you have 4 simple compressors. They are: 1) smooth, 2) snap, 3) punch, 4) crush. Each of them is a unique compressor with some basic controls that they all have in common. The only controls are what you see on the panel.

Only Tony can answer with certainty, but I thought I read something on Gearslutz that he posted that stated it worked the way I described. Perhaps he'll pop back into this thread to clarify.

Return to “Effects”