Studio One 3?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

I somehow thought this can be used with a touch-screen exclusively.
Just to briefly go back here for a moment ... ^^^ ... because it seems to be a point of relative confusion for some.

Afaik, any software (with no exceptions that I'm personally aware of anyway, mmv) that runs on OSX or Windows can be operated with a mouse (well... command line type apps excluded of course :)) so I made that logical assumption immediately when he said he was using a tablet PC, that his finger was just acting as the mouse... or fingers plural for multi-touch.

But sure, if that tablet had been a proprietary controller thing that actually came with the mixer, something running some other OS from it's ROM or something, maybe a different story.

Ok I got it now, so if you already have a tablet, you can use that to control the new mixer.

That's surely a good idea to save money... I personally still wouldn't use it, though.
I also don't have a tablet :)

And if the tablet has a problem during a live show, you are completely f**ked.
Of course a real console can also have problems, like one channel failing, but it is very rare that the whole console gets defect.
I don't understand why people mocks a hardware company for announcing a new hardware product.
Very simple answer: because the teaser video was done in a way which let many viewers assume that the new product is gonna be some software.

But - um - wasn't the new hardware thing going to be able to be controlled from some software? With that touchscreeny thingamajig? :?
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

Meh.

Novalis wrote:
I don't understand why people mocks a hardware company for announcing a new hardware product.
Very simple answer: because the teaser video was done in a way which let many viewers assume that the new product is gonna be some software.
In fact, you first see the guy staring at a computer screen, then he runs away with a piece of hardware. That's the exact sum of what they have released.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Bus with one S, I'll try to remember!

hibidy wrote:Bus with one S, I'll try to remember!
Many thanks! :)

The buss spelling has a long history in electronics etc - the abbreviated version is now accepted widely but the original spelling isn't wrong.
Rust Cohle

End of Summer is not far away.

Will we finally get to see S1 v.3 during October ?

egbert wrote:The buss spelling has a long history in electronics etc - the abbreviated version is now accepted widely but the original spelling isn't wrong.
Only "bus" is an actual word in the English language.
I very much doubt that "buss" is the original spelling.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/de ... nglish/bus

Ok, "buss" can mean a kiss, but...

Oxford dictionary is not a complete list of technical terms. Engineering and science are replete with terms not listed in the OED. Perhaps you should get more of a grasp of this sort of thing before you lecture others.
Rust Cohle

Not to nitpick or forward the silly debate about an ad that doesn't mean anything and that nobody should even care that much about, but it was at least partly about software. :)
UC Surface control software for Mac, Windows, and iPad was carefully designed for intuitive and quick performance in a live mixing environment but also serves well in the studio.
That's new software. :shrug:

Now whether their excitement about a brand new purpose built cross platform application for live mixing is something that should excite others is subjective, but it is indeed new software, something that no user of any of their digital mixers has yet but will be using on the other mixers at some point.

It's not - the software - just for the new rack console. It will be for all their AI consoles.

Muziksculp wrote:End of Summer is not far away.

Will we finally get to see S1 v.3 during October ?
Highly unlikely.

The guy in the video who said that (apparently) said something he shouldn't have said... so we probably need to move on from that expectation. :hihi:

Novalis wrote:Ok I got it now, so if you already have a tablet, you can use that to control the new mixer.
Yeah.
That's surely a good idea to save money... I personally still wouldn't use it, though.
I also don't have a tablet :)
Again, you don't need one, it's just Windows or Mac software, use a laptop.
And if the tablet has a problem during a live show, you are completely f**ked.
It's just control software, it doesn't crash the console if the computer crashes. You just reboot. Any FOH guy with half a brain would never run a critical show with only one tablet and nothing else, but probably also have a laptop connected to the thing via Ethernet sitting on the rack, in case something bad happens like someone drops and breaks the tablet... or the house wi-fi goes kaput. :)

But yeah, if you're running a live show with any digital console and the console itself freezes or croaks, you're kinda (at least temporarily) screwed.

We do love our worse case scenarios though. :hihi:

egbert wrote:Oxford dictionary is not a complete list of technical terms. Engineering and science are replete with terms not listed in the OED. Perhaps you should get more of a grasp of this sort of thing before you lecture others.
Gearslutz has a very enlightening thread about this dicotomy, and they concluded pretty much that "bus" is the correct spelling, and "buss" was a mispelling that strated in the 50s and came along in the audio engineering circles, but is now being abandoned, because it's incorrect. So, it should be "bus" and plural "buses". The origin of the word in the latin omnibus.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”