Full list Native alternatives of UAD plugins!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I want to start to make a full up-to-date list of Native alternatives of UAD plugins. Let's keep this list up-to-date! (need some help here...)
Comments are welcome too ofcourse ; )
Thank you.

Cooper® Time Cube Mk II Delay Plug-In
EP-34 Tape Echo Plug-In
MXR® Flanger/Doubler Plug-In
Roland® RE-201 Space Echo Tape Delay Plug-In : SoundToys Echo Boy
Roland® Dimension D Plug-In
BOSS® CE-1 Chorus Ensemble Plug-In

1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection : Softube Tubetech Fet
SSL G Series Bus Compressor Plug-In : Cytomic The Glue / Waves SSL G-Buss comp
dbx® 160 Compressor / Limiter Plug-In
Fairchild® 670 Compressor Plug-In : Waves Puigchild
Teletronix® LA-3A Classic Audio Leveler Plug-In : Waves CLA-3A

Neve® 33609 / 33609SE Compressor Plug-In
Precision Buss Compressor Plug-In
Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Plug-In : Softube Tubetech CL 1B

Little Labs® Voice Of God Bass Resonance Plug-In
Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
FATSO™ Jr./Sr. Tape Sim. & Compressor Plug-In
Studer® A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder Plug-In
SPL® Vitalizer MK2-T Plug-In
Precision De-Esser Plug-In : Sonnox Oxford Suppressor
Precision Enhancer kHz Plug-In
Precision Enhancer Hz Plug-In
SPL® Transient Designer Plug-In : SPL Transient Designer Native
Moog® Multimode Filter / Multimode Filter SE Plug-In
Little Labs® IBP Phase Alignment Tool Plug-In

EMT® 250 Classic Electronic Reverb Plug-In
Lexicon® 224 Digital Reverb Plug-In : Lexicon PCM bundle
EMT® 140 Classic Plate Reverberator Plug-In : Lexicon PCM vintage plate
DreamVerb Room Modeler Plug-In

Brainworx bx_digital V2 EQ Plug-In : Brainworx bx_digital V2 EQ Native
Manley® Massive Passive EQ Plug-In
Trident® A-Range Classic Console EQ Plug-In : Softube Tubetech Trident-A
Pultec Pro EQ Plug-In : Softube Tubetech PE-1C / Sonimus SonEQ
Harrison® 32C / 32C SE Channel EQ Plug-In
Neve® 1073 / 1073SE Classic Console EQ Plug-Ins
Neve® 1081 / 1081SE Classic Console EQ Plug-Ins
Neve® 31102 / 31102SE Classic Console EQ Plug-Ins
Cambridge EQ Plug-In : Sonnox Oxford EQ
Helios® Type 69 EQ Plug-In

Precision Multiband Plug-In
Precision EQ Plug-In
Precision Limiter Plug-In : Sonnox Oxford Limiter
Precision Maximizer Plug-In

SSL E Series Channel Strip Plug-In : Waves SSL Channel
Neve® 88RS Channel Strip Plug-In : Slate Digital VCC

Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Plug-In : Softube Tubetech CL 1B
HUH :!: :?:

guess he's right...
Finally!

Dived on to my hardware emulation list already? (see my sig)

Or the one by my friend, called audio-hardware-emus.com (which seems to be down at the moment)?

Granted, I'm a bit behind on things, but yea.

Harrison for example has their "Harrison Mixbus" host, alternately there's PhenixInFlight Audio with Thriller EQ. The Roland RE-201 was ported by GenuineSoundware.it with the GS-201. The Fairchild 670 was also ported by IKM (amongst others), the AMPEX by Waves and to some extend also by CDSoundmaster, Nomad Factory and Slate. The Pultec by Nomad Factory and G-Sonique (the SonEQ is "inspired" by, it's not a clone!), not to mention URS and Leftover Lasagne. The "Precision Series" are not based upon anything, and Brainworx ported their plugins to UAD not the other way around (native versions were first).

You should definitely separate certain plugins and modules. For example: The Neve 88RS Channel Strip is "not" modeled by Slate VCC - it's a different Neve console - and Slate VCC (along with Waves NLS) do not offer channel strip capabilities (EQ/Comp/Gate), just the modeling of the input gain stage and bus summing.

I admire your effort regardless. But you won't believe how much you can find "natively" and crossplatform, and how much time that will consume to create and maintain such a list. I spreak from experience.

BTW:
TubeTech and Telectronix - doesn't work, two different firms, different hardware design. You were right with Softube however, but it's a different plugin (FET Compressor). And in terms of LA2A, there are NI, MellowMuse, IKM, Line6, PhenixInFlight, AcusticaAudio (Nebula), etc, etc, etc.

Not counting SynthEdit "esque" emulations.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

UAD is goin' down man.

They still act like they have the corner on emulations and we still all have 486s
They act pretty arrogant given the current climate and horsepower we have.

Starting with their abandonment of the UAD-1 as if that would lead us helplessly to pony up more for the UAD-2

UAD is goin' down man!

:D

Er... UAD 1 was dropped in like 2008 mid to early 2009, we have 2012 now?

Granted, the stuff could be more DSP efficient, but it still is a DSP solution that can not be underestimated. And, they still offer tools that others don't, not to mention that they were forerunners of emulations.

Horsepower alone doesn't do the trick.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Not even close, two different animals.

All the UAD Neve plugs.... good luck with that one.
As much as I don't like the DSP cards (only because of the latency and price)
I must admit that many of the UAD plugs have no replacement.

:-o

AndrewSimon wrote:All the UAD Neve plugs.... good luck with that one.
As much as I don't like the DSP cards (only because of the latency and price)
I must admit that many of the UAD plugs have no replacement.
Which Neve's do you think are particularly good other than the 33609? I've replaced the 1073 with PSP's ClassicQex and I imagine it would also work as a great 1081 substitute. The 88RS can be replaced with Slate VCC plus ClassicQex. In fact, that combo should actually get you closer to the sound of a Neve channel strip than anything UA's done.

On the whole, I really think EQ's are a particularly weak point of the UAD platform (other than the Massive Passive which is just in another league based on some A/B samples I've heard - I never actually activated that demo to the massive DSP usage).

For compression, I think the UAD has a lot of competition. There's Softube, Cytomic, Waves, IKMM. When it comes to reverb, I don't think the UAD stands along anymore now that there's Valhalla, Lexicon, AAR, etc.

When it comes to consoles, UAD has nothing that touches VCC. When it comes to tape emulations, I think Slate's VTM is just as good as the UAD Ampex (but different) and better than their Studer.

I definitely feel like UA are just another fish in the pond. They've been producing consistently high quality plugins lately, but there's a load of other companies doing that on the native side now without the downsides of the limited DSP platform.

bitman wrote:UAD is goin' down man.

They still act like they have the corner on emulations and we still all have 486s

Starting with their abandonment of the UAD-1 as if that would lead us helplessly to pony up more for the UAD-2

UAD is goin' down man!

In the immortal words of the man picutred below: "You've GOT to go DOWN, maaan!!!"

"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

bitman wrote:UAD is goin' down man.

UAD is goin' down man!

Why the smileys man? Are you saying that you'd actually be happy to see UAD go titsup? I find that train of thought very strange myself..

And UAD is not acting arrogantly IMHO, they are just committed to the path they started with back in the day. There is plenty of native alternatives already for plugin lovers.

Mellow muse has neve enulations and Sknote has many of the things your looking for. I would say check out waves, slate digital, Ik Multimedia, Sknote, Toneboosters, basically there is a list of native plugins that sound great. to be honest it really sounds like a retarded amount of plugins. I dont see how you can use every single one all the time. but then again I sometimes end up using some of my plugins alot and other have there place. Like I love the gates emulation sknote did the GTS-39 I think its called but I dont use it all the time. Sometimes I want just a nice LA-2A or something else you know :D
look if you look around there is a emulation or something similar maybe even better then what you have. I used to love my UAD plugins but Now I dont even use my card. they sound great but so do pretty much all other developers.

erik.smeets wrote:SSL G Series Bus Compressor Plug-In : Cytomic The Glue / Waves SSL G-Buss comp
Remove the Waves, which is quite poor in comparison, and put the SSL Duende Native in its place. PSP's new BussCompressor is better than the Waves, too.
Precision Buss Compressor Plug-In
Maybe put the PSP here?
Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Studer® A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder Plug-In
Slate VTM. Definitely not the Waves MPX.
SPL® Vitalizer MK2-T Plug-In
Isn't this also a native plug-in?
Precision De-Esser Plug-In : Sonnox Oxford Suppressor
These are very different. I actually prefer the Sonnox.
Not even close.
EMT® 140 Classic Plate Reverberator Plug-In : Lexicon PCM vintage plate
Not even close.
DreamVerb Room Modeler Plug-In
Not even worth discussing. :P
Precision Limiter Plug-In : Sonnox Oxford Limiter
These have very little resemblance to one another.
SSL E Series Channel Strip Plug-In : Waves SSL Channel
Substitute the Waves for the Duende Native.
Neve® 88RS Channel Strip Plug-In : Slate Digital VCC
hmm, no.

What Erik said...

And also Echo Boy (which is a great all rounder) doesn't come near either of the UAD plugins RE-201 SpaceEcho or EP34 Tape Echo for those two specific emulated sounds...

The UAD plugs are limited feature wise, but then they are supposed to be more specific.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way if you want to see what could replace UAD. Nothing can really replace UAD in terms of emulating specific items.

Now... had you looked at just high quality alternatives for various categories, then you might come up with a great arsenal but it would sound different

Channel EQ
Channel Comp
Bus Comp
Bus EQ?
Reverb
Delay

Very little can maintain the sonic integrity of things like a real analog synth or acoustics as well as UAD. Other things smear then with the 'digital' plug in sounds. Not always a problem, but can stop you getting 'the best' sound that you can.

I predict this is going to turn into a big long opinion thread. :)
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

I can offer to take a look on my hardware emulation list (see the link to my studio page in the sig, then clock on EmuList (OLD), then on dynamics, channel strip, general FX). This covers a lot of stuff, but is unfortunately outdated since 2010. It's time consuming.

A lot has happened within the last five years, and there are tons of alternatives on the market now. There can be debates of course in terms of which plugin is the "best" alternative, but this will always depend on the eye of the beholder.

I can however emphasize once more that the UAD has certain plugins that won't be available in native VST form (yet), and native can be (to some extend) better than UAD. Both have their right of existence: DSP and native. However both have their strenghts and weaknesses as well.

Return to “Effects”