Steinberg Retrologue

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Monark Retrologue

What is the secret of Env 3?
I was just trying to use it in order to modulate the pitch, but I didn't succeed, as if the env were not active. What am I missing?!

Seems to have to do with all those Level sliders, why can't they simply use a normal envelope?! Morons...

chk071 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:58 am Not much talk about this synth anymore, but... I wonder if anyone noticed that since version 2, when you use oscillator unison, there's some weird harsh attack transient, which wasn't there in version 1. I'll try to make a demo later, if Steinberg lets you demo version 2 (I only have a license for version 1), but, you can compare it to Sylenth1, or any other synth which has unison on oscillator level (Spire for example), and you will notice that there's something going on in Retrologue which isn't in other synths.
I was able to replicate this. I actually don't find the sound entirely objectionable, but they're definitely doing unison differently.

I miss Retrologue (1 or 2). I sold my license (v2) with Cubase and other Steinberg two years ago I think. Anyway, not sure that I want it again because Halion 6 (incl. Halion Sonic 3) scratches that itch with several great synths IMO. Voltage can replace somehow the vintage sounds of Retrologue, but it reminds me more of Waves Element 1/2. It has a great sound really and can make those round nice basses (Moogish style). Skylab can replace Padshop Pro (both are great synths of course).

Even Sylenth1, I can find two synths that can replace it for me in Halion (Trium and Trip) while Anima is a great wavetable synth :)

The GUI is ok for me. I use 32" monitor with 2k resolution, but it might be small for smaller monitors or bigger resolutions.

Those some presets (not ideal video, but instead of demoing it, it might gives some idea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Zy4tS6JfI

It definitely seems like they want to consolidate their instrument line into Halion and Groove Agent variants.

A smart way to accomplish that would be to permit users to deselect sample libraries during installation, and/or to install them to a preferred drive. I didn't pick up Halion because of this - my OS SSD didn't have enough free space for the damn thing.

EnGee wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:03 am I miss Retrologue (1 or 2). I sold my license (v2) with Cubase and other Steinberg two years ago I think. Anyway, not sure that I want it again because Halion 6 (incl. Halion Sonic 3) scratches that itch with several great synths IMO. Voltage can replace somehow the vintage sounds of Retrologue, but it reminds me more of Waves Element 1/2. It has a great sound really and can make those round nice basses (Moogish style). Skylab can replace Padshop Pro (both are great synths of course).

Even Sylenth1, I can find two synths that can replace it for me in Halion (Trium and Trip) while Anima is a great wavetable synth :)

The GUI is ok for me. I use 32" monitor with 2k resolution, but it might be small for smaller monitors or bigger resolutions.

Those some presets (not ideal video, but instead of demoing it, it might gives some idea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Zy4tS6JfI
I just changed my resolution from Full HD to 1366x768, now the GUI is much bigger and easier to use (applies to all my programs actually, including Air plugins, Reaper, Word, browser etc.) :)

I never liked Steinberg's suites, too much for me, I like individual plugins.
I had a look at the Voltage GUI, it seems much more basic than Retrologue.

I have just spent an hour (what a pleasant demo mode, no noise, timeout or anything) comparing Retrologue to Sylenth1, soundwise I think they can sound similar, but, as much as I like Sylenth1, I think Retrologue sounds a bit better.
Feature-wise it is also way superior.
A pad comparison, matched as closely as I could (19MB, sorry, didn't want to compromise on the audio quality in this case):

https://app.box.com/s/h06ixoknssdd33d1t19c8tbguctml0v8

Now that I understand the third envelope, it is quite useful and flexible :)

I think it is fair to say that Retrologue is one of the most complete "analog" synths out there. At 100 bucks it's almost a bargain :)

e-crooner wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:10 pm I have just spent an hour (what a pleasant demo mode, no noise, timeout or anything) comparing Retrologue to Sylenth1, soundwise I think they can sound similar, but, as much as I like Sylenth1, I think Retrologue sounds a bit better.
A pad comparison, matched as closely as I could (19MB, sorry, didn't want to compromise on the audio quality in this case):

Nice. :)

And I thought you weren't the guy for supersaws. :D

Hehe, I ain't. But I know where I am here :hihi:

e-crooner wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:10 pm
I just changed my resolution from Full HD to 1366x768, now the GUI is much bigger and easier to use (applies to all my programs actually, including Air plugins, Reaper, Word, browser etc.) :)

I never liked Steinberg's suites, too much for me, I like individual plugins.
I had a look at the Voltage GUI, it seems much more basic than Retrologue.

I have just spent an hour (what a pleasant demo mode, no noise, timeout or anything) comparing Retrologue to Sylenth1, soundwise I think they can sound similar, but, as much as I like Sylenth1, I think Retrologue sounds a bit better.

Now that I understand the third envelope, it is quite useful and flexible :)

I think it is fair to say that Retrologue is one of the most complete "analog" synths out there. At 100 bucks it's almost a bargain :)
Yes, Voltage is a very simple subtractive synth. Retrologue is much more extensive but still not the same character. Anyway, Voltage is very easy to use and still produces a good range of sounds :) The other synths in Halion 6 (which is not a suite of synth, but Halion Sonic 3 is) are the same philosophy, easy to use but versatile and they are completely different from each other, so you have many options.

Bought it from someone here on KVR :) My first synth purchase in a long time, like years, but I think those 15 bucks are a good investment. (Actually it comes bundled with some entry-level Cubase version, but I won't even install that. It seems many people get that bundle for free when they buy certain Midi keyboards.)

As good as the synth is, registering, authorizing, downloading, updating etc. is quite a process. Do I really need a Steinberg download manager just to download a plugin?! 8)

On the bright side, it seems that the demo version from their site is quite outdated (5 years old) and now I have the latest version. Good to see they keep maintaining their plugins :)

Got it quite cheap in Sell & Buy, couldn't resist.
Sounds good!

A pity that I never got it stable an my system.
Always hangs after calling it up even in Cubase.
And all other DAWs also.
Don't know what's wrong here.

Strange, on my W10 it seems to work flawlessly so far.
Yesterday the Repro 5 demo crashed Reaper, but Reprologue not a single time during hours of demoing...

When did you last test it? The latest version seems to be from last year. There was some release note document which listed the bugs fixed.

Was a month ago.
I can't get it to work long enough to make a song.

Return to “Instruments”