Steinberg Retrologue

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Monark Retrologue

I'm a bit suprised about the good quality of this synth and the features like Unison, Sub-Oscillator and stuff.
What do you think about this new synth?

It's a shame they don't sell it separately as Padshop. I don't use Cubase anymore.

--
All the best,
Paul

Been playing with it all day and must agree with you!

Oscillators: Very clean and smooth, a little more mellow than Sylenth1. I really love the CROSS mode especially. The MULTI mode is great but doesn't seem as wide as other synths I have with unison, so I tend to use a stereo widener after it to just bring up the side (e.g. Voxengo MSED). The sub osc and noise generators are great, the noise especially which I think sounds really good on this synth.

Modulation: Not bad, kinda wish there was a modulation envelope though, we have so many modulation slots and not enough envelopes.

Filters: Impressive, very clean with resonance turned up at full cutoff (which is something that the more average synths fail at). I particularly love the fact that this synth offers 6db/oct with resonance which is a great sound and harder to find (Thor has it too).

Effects: Well these are quite decent. The delay really could use a lowcut as well as the high cut which leads to muddy sounds. I just use Bionic Delay instead which is great. I kinda wish there was a simple EQ on this, akin to Massive, just to shape the sound a little so that presets could be made more complete. A Phaser would be a nice addition also.

Performance: Impressive low CPU usage, very usable as a bread and butter synth.

I most definitely think I will use this synth, although Sylenth, Massive and Zebra2 ain't going anywhere!! Saying that, I think this is an excellent stock synth with Cubase and outshines all the other VAs included by a mile.

Cheers :)

I agree :/
I am more interested in this one :)

A small video I made about using Note Expression with Retrologue.
Retrologue supports VST3 Note Expression (!) and mapping can be used with the modulation matrix. Many of the presets have expressions mapped, so it works out of the box.

This can be used for all kind of controlling parameters also per note (!!). Most interesting IMO for panorama and filter cutoff stuff. But it's not limited to this parameters because it can be mapped in the modulation matrix of the synth.

(switch to 1080p HD in the player and use the fullscreen view, the recording resolution is high enough)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSGhAaxk8xc&hd=1

[edit]
Removed the Screencast link to the video because the 2GB limit was reached)
Last edited by 4damind on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AlienForce wrote:It's a shame they don't sell it separately as Padshop. I don't use Cubase anymore.
They do. It's called Halion 4's VA.

Retrologue appears to be a very cut down and simplified version of the VA inside HALion 4. It lacks the 3rd oscillator, many additional filter types and routing, the flexible envelopes, step mod, more mod sources, more FX, more everything.. :)

Are you sure it's the same algorithms?
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

It' only confirmed that both synth are developed in-house. So it's no licensed stuff from others like in the past with Virsyn...
Maybe they got some ideas from Halion4 but I'm not sure if this is the complete stripped-down VA engine.

penguinfromdeep wrote:Are you sure it's the same algorithms?
Well, I didn't run it through IDA or something. But, from appearances and initial listening, the answer seems to be "yes". The same, but feature limited. Kinda like an "LE" edition of what you could expect in H4.

Some more guys tested and played with Retrologue?

I haven't had a chance yet to play with either H4 or with Retrologue. But I sense I prefer by far retrologue straight forward GUI.

4damind wrote:A small video I made about using Note Expression with Retrologue.
Retrologue supports VST3 Note Expression (!) and mapping can be used with the modulation matrix. Many of the presets have expressions mapped, so it works out of the box.

This can be used for all kind of controlling parameters also per note (!!). Most interesting IMO for panorama and filter cutoff stuff. But it's not limited to this parameters because it can be mapped in the modulation matrix of the synth.

(you can use the fullscreen switch in the player, the recording resolution is high enough)

http://www.screencast.com/t/AEDY1gulFih

( if the video is not viewable because of the bandwide limitation, I have it mirrored on Youtube: http://youtu.be/XSGhAaxk8xc?hd=1 )
Good video that,thanks. I have never played with note expression but that makes me want to have a go :)

Yes! This is really an amazing synth, I'm also surprised because I never liked the other synths that came with Cubase. I haven't tried Halion so I can't comment on that.

I put out a little demo showing some of my favorite presets here:

http://soundcloud.com/terenci-claramunt/retrologue-demo

AnalogModelled wrote:Yes! This is really an amazing synth, I'm also surprised because I never liked the other synths that came with Cubase. I haven't tried Halion so I can't comment on that.

I put out a little demo showing some of my favorite presets here:

http://soundcloud.com/terenci-claramunt/retrologue-demo
Yes, good selection.
I cannot remember to heard this presets :hihi: But this are 300 or so...

wow ! tested it for a few minutes and it sounds quite raw and powerful in making simple patches ! i can see many uses for this synth ! excellent job Steinborg !

Return to “Instruments”