Bug reports

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fyler RapidComposer

Windows 22H2
RC 4.6.3

I am in the idea tool and then open the chord voicing. I scroll to the top and it gets "stuck" and won't scroll back down. I have to open and close the master voicing track ("V" button) to get back.

Not a killer problem, but maybe worth a look.
Screenshot 2023-05-09 104313.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

good catch.. any bug is to be looked at.. thanks..

Because Live midi is so bad, and loopMidi bussing does not understand PDC compensation....I'm trying out Reaper. I hit some immediate issues.
Windows 22H2
Reaper 6.79
RC 4.6.3

RC came up in very small high resolution. I went to settings to change magnification. I searched on "display" and "size" and noticed that the search text was not updating properly. Screen shot attached. Note in the attachment that the text is shown, that happens when I do a screenshot. But when typing the text is not shown. RC is somehow not getting 'redraw events'.

I then double clicked to run RC outside of the Reaper plugin UI container, then closed that to go back inside the container and it crashed. Attached is stack trace (which unfortunately has no symbols).

These are not "severity 1" bugs.

[Edit: I did not go into great detail because these are very easy to reproduce, at least for me. I tried a screen recording but it was too big.
Edit: I'm running "opengl" render driver. I tested "software" and now am on "default" render driver. Screen is ok, but input (as described) is still buggy.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

magmagwa wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:51 pm RC came up in very small high resolution. I went to settings to change magnification. I searched on "display" and "size" and noticed that the search text was not updating properly. Screen shot attached. Note in the attachment that the text is shown, that happens when I do a screenshot. But when typing the text is not shown. RC is somehow not getting 'redraw events'.
The solution is changing the render driver to other than direct3d11, e.g. direct3d (which is actually Direct3D9) or OpenGL. The same happens on my PC during text editing, but I am still not sure if the direct3d11 driver is buggy or I do something wrong or the SDL library has a bug.

I replied too soon. The same happens on my PC even with 'software' rendering.
All the other text editing boxes work well, e.g. under Settings / Locations, or the track title entry. I'll check this bug.
I then double clicked to run RC outside of the Reaper plugin UI container, then closed that to go back inside the container and it crashed.
Where exactly did you double-click in REAPER? I would love to reproduce this.
EDIT: I chose "Window float selected FX", then closed the window, but it did not crash with the beta version.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:10 pm
magmagwa wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:51 pm RC came up in very small high resolution. I went to settings to change magnification. I searched on "display" and "size" and noticed that the search text was not updating properly. Screen shot attached. Note in the attachment that the text is shown, that happens when I do a screenshot. But when typing the text is not shown. RC is somehow not getting 'redraw events'.
The solution is changing the render driver to other than direct3d11, e.g. direct3d (which is actually Direct3D9) or OpenGL. The same happens on my PC during text editing, but I am still not sure if the direct3d11 driver is buggy or I do something wrong or the SDL library has a bug.
I had selected default, which selected Direct3d but that gave problems.

I selected OpenGL and this is better!

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:19 pm I replied too soon. The same happens on my PC even with 'software' rendering.
All the other text editing boxes work well, e.g. under Settings / Locations, or the track title entry. I'll check this bug.
I then double clicked to run RC outside of the Reaper plugin UI container, then closed that to go back inside the container and it crashed.
Where exactly did you double-click in REAPER? I would love to reproduce this.
EDIT: I chose "Window float selected FX", then closed the window, but it did not crash with the beta version.

Thanks,
Attila
I double click right on the "VST3i: RapidComposer..." line.
Screenshot 2023-05-12 160820.png

RC takes a long time, 30 seconds, to start when I insert it as a plugin for Reaper. It also seems to take a long time to exit. I think I have provoked some crashes by start/stop too quickly, it seems there is some exit/cleanup ongoing and a fast restart seems to cause a race condition of some sort. This is not entirely reproducible, but I thought it may provide a clue. Attached is what appears to be a somewhat useless windows stack trace, let me know if it's of any use. Not sure if you can release with symbols so that the stack trace is readable.
Screenshot 2023-05-12 154033.png

First the good news: I managed to fix the text editor redraw bug, and found a crashing bug when closing the plug-in window (also because of the text editor fields).

I don't understand why it takes such a long time to load the RC plug-in. This is unusual.
On my old Windows 10 PC the VST3 is loaded in REAPER in about 4 seconds.
On a mac Mini M1 loading RC VST3 into REAPER takes about 1 second. Having lots of custom phrases should not affect this time because that happens in the background.

The plug-in should wait for a successful startup before it can be unloaded.
Thanks for being so helpful! :)

Attila

Takes me about 2.5 secs appx to load in Reaper, almost immediately to unload.. Reaper 6.79, but, using latest beta build of RC..

Hey guys, I removed the Documents\RapidComposer directory, uninstalled and reinstalled RC. It now starts in a flash.

On the problematic process I did a "process monitor" trace of RC, interesting. This is like strace on linux or truss if you go way back :-).

I can share the process trace and/or the saved "Documents\RapidComposer" directory if you want.

Trace file is 3M, RapidComposer directory 45M.

I can share through google drive.

Let me know if interested.

Thanks

I'm just documenting this for the purpose of forensics.

I reinstalled RC from scratch, removed Documents\Rapid Composer directory and now startup is fast.

a) I started Reaper, started RC, and the Ctl-X, Del key were not being received/processed by RC. I had the Reaper "send all keyboard input to the plugin" enabled.

b) I started RC standalone, the keys worked fine.

c) I then started RC within Reaper and the keys worked again (!!).

I had tested OpenGL and Direct3D in the plugin testing for Ctl-X and it failed for both.

Anyway, it seems starting it standalone has provided some relief for the moment.

Just so you know, if RC crashes you should at some point do a reboot. When it does, it won't unload properly and kind of stick around in memory. It is always best to start fresh.. If it continues to crash, of course please report it..

Hello,

Recently, I have been using the demo version of RC, and I have come across some really great features. However, I have noticed that when I apply rhythm to any MIDI file or convert it to a generator, I instantly lose the velocity. This is very disappointing, especially since I'm importing piano pieces from classical music that have unique and expressive velocities.

I'm wondering if you could provide some insight into whether this is a limitation of the demo version or if there's something I can do to maintain the original velocity when applying rhythm to MIDI files. I would like to know if this is standard practice, and if there are any workarounds available. I'm considering purchasing the full version, but I'd like to resolve this issue first.

Moreover, I would appreciate any tips or best practices for using RC's rhythm feature, especially when applying it to classical piano pieces. As a beginner with the software, I want to ensure I'm using it to its fullest potential.

Additionally, I noticed that this issue does not seem to happen in MIDI Mutator. Could you please clarify if there's anything wrong or if I'm making any mistakes while using the software?

I appreciate any help and advice you can provide.

Bob

BluGenes wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:49 pm Just so you know, if RC crashes you should at some point do a reboot. When it does, it won't unload properly and kind of stick around in memory. It is always best to start fresh.. If it continues to crash, of course please report it..
I know on windows people do like to reboot. However, memory for an exiting process will be cleaned up. When the process is restarted, new memory is allocated. Unless the process is allocating it's own persistent shared memory and then reattaching to it on startup. This seems quite unlikely for RC but would be a bug if it's not cleaning it up properly. If RC is keeping around lock files or state files, that could also cause state issues.

It's really up to RC developers to know if there is state across instantiations.

I definitely hesitate on the "reboot" to fix problems since it changes so many variables.

All this beind said, I do reboot as a last resort/test because "you never know".

Return to “MusicDevelopments”