Quiver: developer asking for beta feedback

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Quiver

bumpskies...
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Thanks Shabdahbriah, and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I've actually spent quite a lot of time thinking about this. For me, this is a really important piece of Quiver, and I want to make it really kickass. From your post and the research I've done, I've decided on a direction, but it's going to take me a while to get there, because I need to build some solid GUI and DSP support for it. So it'll be a while before it's done. However, I will probably include basic sample playback in version 1.2, and hope to do a really great wavetable oscillator in 1.3 or 1.4.

Hi Ralph. Good news..

ralphb wrote:Thanks Shabdahbriah, and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I've actually spent quite a lot of time thinking about this. For me, this is a really important piece of Quiver, and I want to make it really kickass. From your post and the research I've done, I've decided on a direction, but it's going to take me a while to get there, because I need to build some solid GUI and DSP support for it. So it'll be a while before it's done. However, I will probably include basic sample playback in version 1.2, and hope to do a really great wavetable oscillator in 1.3 or 1.4.
You're more than welcome.

I'm glad you got it sorted, and are inspired - That's REALLY cool!!! :)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Quiver sounds -amazing-. It's powerfully flexible Osc's combined with the richly detailed analog style filters are capable of timbres I've last heard from older analogs.

I'd really recommend it to anyone looking for a VA that absolutely doesn't sound like 100's of other ones out there. It's deep, rich, even eery at times.

But if I have one reservation it's the Envelopes.

I please ask the developer to allow for -way- longer ADSR times!

1 second max attack and decay? 4 seconds max for release?

Have I angered the sound gods?

Both sonically, and sound architecturally/programing wise, Quiver is a dream, and I rate it up there with other greats like sylenth1, imposcar2, dcam, polykb, etc

But please address the Envelope times, so sound designers can do their thing, and make a 30 second volume fade in, etc.

It would also be great to see more mod destinations for the LFO's/mods, like all the wonderful 'padizer'/detune ones.

Otherwise great job, looking forward to the evolution of this synth!
Last edited by nexusdawn on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

nexusdawn wrote:I please ask the developer to allow for -way- longer ADSR times!

It's coming in 1.1, hopefully in a couple of weeks!

You could sign up for release notification here, the emails include a changelist, so you couldn't miss it: http://straightarrow.dk/quiver/notify/

Thanks for the nice feedback.

ralphb wrote:
nexusdawn wrote:I please ask the developer to allow for -way- longer ADSR times!

It's coming in 1.1, hopefully in a couple of weeks!

You could sign up for release notification here, the emails include a changelist, so you couldn't miss it: http://straightarrow.dk/quiver/notify/

Thanks for the nice feedback.

Thank you, much appreciated!

I just wanted to say that the first public beta of Quiver version 1.1 is really close. I'll announce it on the mailinglist, so if you're interested you should sign up here: http://straightarrow.dk/quiver/notify/

Hope to have it out late this week or early next week. Apart from bugfixes and minor polish, the new main features are:
  • A bunch of new filters, based on the same technology that powers e.g. u-he's Diva.
  • Envelope times can be much longer (up to a minute), making it much easier to evolve the sound.
  • Presets can be saved for individual module types - for example, if you create a nice Reverb setting, you can easily save it in a seperate file, and load it back later.
It took a while longer than I had anticipated, sorry. I hope to release new versions much more often in the new year!

good on you.. i can't believe you allow demo download and have the most generous refund guarantee i have EVER seen for software!

I think it's selling yourself a bit short though for a 90 day guarantee. I mean make it 30 max, be reasonable and confident!

Anyway i will try this when ever it reaches mac 64 bit stage, as an AUDIOUNIT.

Lot's of people are making positive opinions of the sound so it must be good :)

Congratulationss Ralph, I look forward to testing the demo for Quiver again when the new version comes out. This may be enough to break my new year resolution not to buy anymore synths :wink:

Quiver has nice sounds-inspiring to experiment, just by testing a pad I felt like getting to work.There is a clever feature that by clicking you get a close up of the modules and It works, by trying out different routings and possibilities, I came across some awesome unexpected sonorities and textures. I hope you pursue the venture.

Hey Ralph,
that new filters how they sound in comparison to "old"?

ttoz wrote:I think it's selling yourself a bit short though for a 90 day guarantee. I mean make it 30 max, be reasonable and confident!
That IS confidence, at least from my perspective. :-)

Alfa210 wrote:Hey Ralph,
that new filters how they sound in comparison to "old"?
That's a bit hard to answer, but from a technical viewpoint they're certainly much better.

Their response is much more even over varying cutoffs and resonance settings, so it's much easier to control.

I'll try to do an audio demo.

Ok, a couple of filter demos:

I'm not much of a musician so please tell me how to demo this better. :-)

All filters are 24dB LP filters.

The current filter

New zero-delay implementation of the moog ladder

Zero-delay moog ladder with a more acid touch

I'm still tweaking them, feedback is very welcome.

Edit: Forgot to mention. The current filter has 6/12/24dB LP, HP, BP. The new second filter will additionally have 18dB slopes, plus different combinations for the two bandpass slopes. The last filter will probably only be 24dB LP for now.

Edit 2: With thanks to Punqtured who provided the original bass line.

Return to “Instruments”