Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

I'm in contact with Ableton about the LP FREQ reset bug in Live 9. On my laptop which has never had a Push controller attached I cannot reproduce the issue, so I am guessing it is something Push specific. Can everyone that is having this issue please confirm they also use Push?
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

No push here, but it happens.

h4nc0 wrote:No push here, but it happens.
Ok, thanks for letting me know, it's good to rule things out as well!

hi,

How can I avoid knob snaping ? When I automate things it gets in the way..

BTW amaizing plugin : )

DroneSpirit wrote:How can I avoid knob snaping ? When I automate things it gets in the way..
If you're referring to the stepping of the lfo2 rate, turn off sync.
If, however, it's producing clicks or artefacts due to automation, try increasing glide or upping the oversample rate

DroneSpirit wrote:hi,

How can I avoid knob snaping ? When I automate things it gets in the way..

BTW amaizing plugin : )
No, the knob snapping, for example on the shift and spread and modulation depth knob, cannot be bypassed. It needs to be done to automation so that people using a midi controller mapped to the parameter get the same behaviour as turning the on-screen knob.

Is there a particular knob you are finding the snapping most annoying?

yes indeed, Shift and Spread knobs caught my attention. It is not possible to make streight sweep with shift (ofc i can make it with lfo, but still..) and spread is so usefull for ''talking'' things, sometimes that snap is ok but sometimes it is really getting in the way. But it is not something that bothers me a lot. I can live with that.

aside those minor issues i repeat my myself once more - a STUNNIG plugin !
I feel like I never knew how a good filter sounds, since i have never touched a hardware synth..
Now I know. Cant wait for your EQ plugin : )

DroneSpirit wrote:yes indeed, Shift and Spread knobs caught my attention. It is not possible to make streight sweep with shift (ofc i can make it with lfo, but still..) and spread is so usefull for ''talking'' things, sometimes that snap is ok but sometimes it is really getting in the way. But it is not something that bothers me a lot. I can live with that.

I feel like I never knew how a good filter sounds, since i have never touched a hardware synth..
Thanks for the positive feedback, it is great to hear you are loving The Drop!

If you want to do smooth bandpass filter sweeps using the Shift knob you can either edit the automation to have a little vertical jump just around the middle, but an easier approach is to set the glide knob to a large enough time that it will smooth any out jumps caused by the snapping :tu:

btw wrote:One question: I'm curious to hear your thoughts on a toggle option for serial versus parallel routing of the input signal through the HP and LP filters. Would it be problematic to implement, having optimized the plugin for serial routing? Were there design considerations that led you to rule it out? Of course this is something I can set up in my DAW with two instances of The Drop, but it would be fun to have parallel routing at my fingertips with all the modulation parameters in one place.
Bump.

btw wrote:
btw wrote:One question: I'm curious to hear your thoughts on a toggle option for serial versus parallel routing of the input signal through the HP and LP filters. Would it be problematic to implement, having optimized the plugin for serial routing? Were there design considerations that led you to rule it out? Of course this is something I can set up in my DAW with two instances of The Drop, but it would be fun to have parallel routing at my fingertips with all the modulation parameters in one place.
Bump.
Which response are you after in particular? I have looked at all the possible results and made a decision a while back to keep things fixed in routing to simplify peoples workflow, but if you can point out a particular application and a useful result then I would love to hear it.

andy-cytomic wrote:
DroneSpirit wrote:yes indeed, Shift and Spread knobs caught my attention. It is not possible to make streight sweep with shift (ofc i can make it with lfo, but still..) and spread is so usefull for ''talking'' things, sometimes that snap is ok but sometimes it is really getting in the way. But it is not something that bothers me a lot. I can live with that.

Thanks for the positive feedback, it is great to hear you are loving The Drop!

If you want to do smooth bandpass filter sweeps using the Shift knob you can either edit the automation to have a little vertical jump just around the middle, but an easier approach is to set the glide knob to a large enough time that it will smooth any out jumps caused by the snapping :tu:
Actually I'm completely wrong here please ignore what I just posted, I'm not doing any smoothing of the shift or spread with the glide time!

I think it makes sense to optionally smooth the Shift and Spread knobs with the glide time, how about I add a new button "Step" between the Shift and Spread that makes it behave like it is now, and when it is disable both the Shift and Spread get smoothed by the Glide time?

Does anyone actually use the fact that the Shift and Spread aren't smoothed for anything? It may be better just to smooth them since that means less clutter of the user interface.

Did you fix the bug causing cracks & pops at x1 sample rate if midi is triggering filter in live9?

nrosko wrote:Did you fix the bug causing cracks & pops at x1 sample rate if midi is triggering filter in live9?
Yes, it was caused by a bug in my resampler. The channel pressure midi message being sent to The Drop caused the regular process buffer to be split into smaller chunks, and when the chunk was smaller than the delay of the resampler the buggy code was hit. I've now fixed the bug, as well added code to only split the process buffer for midi messages that are used - so thanks very much for spotting this!

PS: there is also a small click on note on caused by the envelopes of serum, but that is easily fixed by increasing the envelope attack time if you didn't want this click.

I have also fixed the resetting of LP Freq in Live, it was not a bug in Live, so apologies to the Ableton team for that! I will get a release done in the next couple of days, this will be the first non-beta release of The Drop :)

Great stuff Andy - and it definitely sounds like a LOT of hard work and imagination since you first started this idea!
(I bought The Drop in beta at the first opportunity).

It's an amazing piece of software, so well done on its first non-beta release.

Return to “Effects”