PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Regarding the global gain. The value should, indeed, be saved in the project. The values from the ini file should only be used if a new instance is loaded into a project.

If it does not behave like that, it's a bug. I am away from my computer at the moment, but i will check tomorrow.

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote:Regarding the global gain. The value should, indeed, be saved in the project. The values from the ini file should only be used if a new instance is loaded into a project.

If it does not behave like that, it's a bug. I am away from my computer at the moment, but i will check tomorrow.

Cheers,
Martin
Hi Martin,

The global gain is not a parameter, both FLStudio and REAPER cannot access this parameter,
so they do not know it is there, therefore it does not get saved with the project.
And when you reload a project it gets its value from the ini file.

They are not exposed as parameters, but they are stored in the chunks, the host saves when storing the state of the plugin.

It should work in the same way, as the plugin should be reloaded with it's whole bank in tact, not only the current preset.

Can you confirm that it is actually wrongly restored, when loading a project? For my (on reaper) it works correctly.

Martin.

Yeager wrote:
martin_l wrote:Regarding the global gain. The value should, indeed, be saved in the project. The values from the ini file should only be used if a new instance is loaded into a project.

Cheers,
Martin
Hi Martin,

The global gain is not a parameter, both FLStudio and REAPER cannot access this parameter,
so they do not know it is there, therefore it does not get saved with the project.
And when you reload a project it gets its value from the ini file.

Hi Martin,

Just tried this in REAPER , load 3 instances put one on -6dB one on 0dB and one on +6dB save the file, reload and all three of them are the same -6,0,+6 ( depending on the last one you changed).

So yes it is wrongly/NOT stored.

martin_l wrote: Can you confirm that it is actually wrongly restored, when loading a project? For my (on reaper) it works correctly.

Martin.

Hi,

Can you check whether you have the "save state as bank" option selected for the pg8x. It should be the default in reaper.

Thanks,
Martin

Yeager wrote:Hi Martin,

Just tried this in REAPER , load 3 instances put one on -6dB one on 0dB and one on +6dB save the file, reload and all three of them are the same -6,0,+6 ( depending on the last one you changed).

martin_l wrote: Can you confirm that it is actually wrongly restored, when loading a project? For my (on reaper) it works correctly.

Martin.

Yep, "save state as bank" option is selected.
martin_l wrote:Hi,

Can you check whether you have the "save state as bank" option selected for the pg8x. It should be the default in reaper.

Thanks,
Martin

Martin.

Hi Yeager,

I now had the chance to test things further and look at the code.
Indeed, there is a stupid bug when writing the "global gain" into the chunk, which made it work in some cases, but not in others.

Also, I realized that locking the ini file did not work.

Edit:

This is now uploaded:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e5oop1vf8vpl ... eezxa?dl=0

So, you will be able to set the global gain "per instance" and it will be saved with the project, and recalled correctly.

Thanks for pointing this bug out to me.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin.

Regarding learning CCs, I forgot to mention that PG-8X ignored CC38 completely. From 127 possible CCs I managed to find one that doesn't work with it. :)

It wasn't really a project, Martin, what I used for teaching my ReMOTE to handle PG-8X. I just loaded PG-8X in an empty project to play with it, and maybe trace some bugs, too. ;) It's easier to trace bugs when it is the only VST loaded. However, testing is also needed with multiple VSTs, too. I'll test it on my main computer with Windows XP x86 soon, also.

This is such a great idea to have your own default CCs configuration saved. :tu: Every VSTi should have that!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:Regarding learning CCs, I forgot to mention that PG-8X ignored CC38 completely. From 127 possible CCs I managed to find one that doesn't work with it. :)
Yes, some CC's are excluded, as they are reserved for other purposes.
E.g. CC 6, 38, 98. 99, 100 and 101. These have to do with NRPN messages, which I am planning to implement in the future.
It wasn't really a project, Martin, what I used for teaching my ReMOTE to handle PG-8X. I just loaded PG-8X in an empty project to play with it, and maybe trace some bugs, too. ;) It's easier to trace bugs when it is the only VST loaded. However, testing is also needed with multiple VSTs, too. I'll test it on my main computer with Windows XP x86 soon, also.

This is such a great idea to have your own default CCs configuration saved. :tu: Every VSTi should have that!

Anyhow, please post (or PM to me) as many information on what you have been doing when the system crashed or froze. If you could create a reaper project, which reproduces the problem, that would be great. So far, I don't get any crashes on my machine.

Cheers,
Martin

Yes !, Martin you da man...
You did it, it finally works the way I always hoped it would :hug:
Also the preset saving/loading works (in the PG8Xpreset format).
The syx saving/loading still recalls the wrong poly (but I don't care I don't use this :clown: )

So thank you very much for this GREAT synth :clap:

martin_l wrote: So, you will be able to set the global gain "per instance" and it will be saved with the project, and recalled correctly.

Thanks for pointing this bug out to me.

Cheers,
Martin

Yeager wrote:Yes !, Martin you da man...
You did it, it finally works the way I always hoped it would :hug:
Also the preset saving/loading works (in the PG8Xpreset format).
The syx saving/loading still recalls the wrong poly (but I don't care I don't use this :clown: )

So thank you very much for this GREAT synth :clap:
The reason for that is in the preset architecture of the JX-8P. What is saved in the current syxex files are the so-called TONEs. The Poly settings are part of what is called a PATCH, but the JX-8P has only 8 slots of PATCH memory.

The sysex functionality is mainly thought to interchange data with the hardware, and I encouraged the use throughout the beta period, as I could not promise that the internal format (PG8Xbank) would not change at any moment.

Now, I am basically waiting for confirmation whether the Fruity Loop problems are fixed, and whether DuX still encounters crashes. Once everything is stable, I guess we can finally call it an official release.

Nota bene: I did not forget about the filter aliasing, but this will be fixed at a later stage.

Cheers,
Martin

This explains why I can not load "(very) old" PG8Xpresets in the new version ..

Thank you again :tu:
martin_l wrote:
The sysex functionality is mainly thought to interchange data with the hardware, and I encouraged the use throughout the beta period, as I could not promise that the internal format (PG8Xbank) would not change at any moment.

Cheers,
Martin

Yeager wrote:This explains why I can not load "(very) old" PG8Xpresets in the new version ..

Thank you again :tu:
martin_l wrote:

Cheers,
Martin
Actually, it should in general work for old patches. There was only one release, which unfortunately wrote patches wrongly. From other releases, it should work (apart maybe from the Poly setting). What exactly goes wrong?

Well basically they don't load any setting, I bet you that I made them with the one release that did something wrong, forget it, it's only 4 or 5 presets so I don't care.

Time to clean up the folder : :oops:
PG8XFolder_cr.png
martin_l wrote: Actually, it should in general work for old patches. There was only one release, which unfortunately wrote patches wrongly. From other releases, it should work (apart maybe from the Poly setting). What exactly goes wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I have tested PG-8X some more with W7x64 and Reaper 5.18 and there were no crashes. I had a bit of freezing at first, and I had to restart Reaper, when I tried to learn a CC control, but pressing "clear settings" and "make default" [in that order] solved it. I just re-learned the CCs and everything works now.

However, when I move the sliders on the MIDI keyboard there is a little ~1sec freeze of the controls on the PG-8X when you try changing a different control. For example I change the attack on the envelope, then try changing the decay and I get a freeze in between every time you try a different control. When you change only one control, even with pauses in between, it works more or less smoothly.

If you're not experiencing this freezing of controls then it could be the Novation MIDI driver to blame. I wouldn't be surprised. So does anybody experience the same?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Instruments”