PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

From Rainer Buchty's site..........

"Yes, it's sad, but development of SQ8L has effectively stopped years ago. Use it as it is. Further updates are highly unlikely.

No, I don't have the source code, and yes, there were more than one attempt at publicly releasing or even buying the source from the author.

I'm fully aware that several of you would love to see an Audio Unit, a Reaper plugin, and possibly some other plugin versions of this. For the above reasons, these are even less likely than a further update of the VSTi. Like above, there have been several unsuccessful attempts at convincing the author to write such.

You want to re-create the plugin and need my expertise? I'm all open -- drop me a mail. But please, please not regarding the above matters".
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I hope you get inspired to create a JX-10. I love that synth and would be happy to pay for it!!!

Hi Martin,

Thanks for all the updates.
The only thing I would like to see is:
That you take the Global Gain out of the ini file and make it a parameter that the host (DAW) can save in the project file so the recalled volume is the same as I saved it.

Did a small test, used one PG8X put the gain on +6dB saved project.
Reload the project, gain was +6dB reloaded again, gain was 0dB reloaded again, and were back on -6dB.
Weird...
I know , I could not touch the gain at all and leave it at -6dB, but why have the switch there in the first place ?

Greetings Yeager.
martin_l wrote:New versions (2016-04-17) uploaded. These should fix the clicks when switching on the ring modulation.

Please, note that the aliasing noise with fast filter modulation has not yet been addressed.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e5oop1vf8vpl ... eezxa?dl=0

If there are not more major bug reports on this, I will make it (finally) the first official release.

Cheers,
Martin

Yeager wrote:Hi Martin,

That you take the Global Gain out of the ini file and make it a parameter that the host (DAW) can save in the project file so the recalled volume is the same as I saved it.

Reload the project, gain was +6dB reloaded again, gain was 0dB reloaded again, and were back on -6dB.
Weird...
I know , I could not touch the gain at all and leave it at -6dB, but why have the switch there in the first place ?

Greetings Yeager.
Hi Yeager,

thanks for pointing this out. This is definitely a bug. I will have a look.

Martin

Thanks,
and I found that presets saved with an older version -04-29 with poly 2 as key mode are recalled as mono 2
I used the PG8Xpreset, the syx recalls the right mode, poly but 1 instead of 2.
And Unison 1 is recalled as mono 2 (PG8Xpreset).
The latest version recalls it own presets correctly (PG8Xpreset) but also fails the syx recall, it is poly mode 1 instead of 2.

Greetings Yeager.

I use the 32 Bit version on windows.

martin_l wrote:
Yeager wrote:Hi Martin,

Weird...

Greetings Yeager.
Hi Yeager,

thanks for pointing this out. This is definitely a bug. I will have a look.

Martin

Hi. First of all, thanks for a great plugin. It's in my top 10 of all-time favourite VST synths.

I'm working on a performance using several instances of PG-8X with BlueARP's and I have random crashes.
First I thought it's BlueARP bug, but after some testing I noticed: crashes only seem to happen if I open PG-8X GUI at least once.
When I load my project with all PG-8X hidden and never bring them up, everything works OK.

I'm on Windows 10 64 bit, using FL Studio 12.2 32 bit, PG-8X 2016-04-17.
This crash happens with both 32 and 64 bits version (tested in FL Studio 32 or 64 bit respectively).

I test PG-8X with an empty project and found step-by-step way to re-produce the crash:
1. Launch FL studio, load PG-8X (into empty project)
2. Load default.PG8Xbank
3. Click 'PREV' (previous program) button
4. Click 'VST wrapper settings' (attached image)
PG8X crash.jpg
5. FL Studio crashes (32bit version gives access violation, 64bit ver just freezes)

I'm ready to perform more testing, cause I'm really looking forward to use this plugin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi Graywolf,

I just tried to follow your recipe, but I cannot reproduce the crash.
I tried the Demo of FL 12 (32 bit) with the 32bit version of PG-8X (04-17), follow your steps, and nothing happens. I am on Win 7 (64bit).

Could you try to rescan the plugins?

graywolf2004 wrote:Hi. First of all, thanks for a great plugin. It's in my top 10 of all-time favourite VST synths.

I'm working on a performance using several instances of PG-8X with BlueARP's and I have random crashes.
First I thought it's BlueARP bug, but after some testing I noticed: crashes only seem to happen if I open PG-8X GUI at least once.
When I load my project with all PG-8X hidden and never bring them up, everything works OK.

I'm on Windows 10 64 bit, using FL Studio 12.2 32 bit, PG-8X 2016-04-17.
This crash happens with both 32 and 64 bits version (tested in FL Studio 32 or 64 bit respectively).

I test PG-8X with an empty project and found step-by-step way to re-produce the crash:
1. Launch FL studio, load PG-8X (into empty project)
2. Load default.PG8Xbank
3. Click 'PREV' (previous program) button
4. Click 'VST wrapper settings' (attached image)
PG8X crash.jpg
5. FL Studio crashes (32bit version gives access violation, 64bit ver just freezes)

I'm ready to perform more testing, cause I'm really looking forward to use this plugin.

martin_l wrote:Hi Graywolf,

I just tried to follow your recipe, but I cannot reproduce the crash.
I tried the Demo of FL 12 (32 bit) with the 32bit version of PG-8X (04-17), follow your steps, and nothing happens. I am on Win 7 (64bit).

Could you try to rescan the plugins?
I tried it many times with all possible options checked.
In my case it crashes only if 'Multithreaded generator processing' is checked in audio settings.

I'll try to create fl studio project to model the crash better (it should be several instances of PG-8X with programs switched from automation).

PS. Just did a quick test - with multithreaded processing off it seems more stable. But I need to play at least half an hour to be sure. Will do more testing.

I created a project which severely crashes FL Studio in my case - see attached file.
(tried multithreaded processing on and off)

How this project works:
1. "Dashboard" track has a slider "ProgChange", this slider is connected to 'Program select' of MIDI Out track
2. MIDI Out track is connected to 3 instances of PG-8X (they all receive MIDI messages from it)
3. Finally, "ProgChange" slider is automated.

Each time "ProgChange" slider changes its value, all 3 instances of PG-8X receive Program Change MIDI message. It happens while playback, there are some dummy chords on the track also.
It models my workflow - I have several instances of PG-8X playing and need to change programs on the fly.

When I press play, it just freezes. Just open this project and press play.
In my case it freezes even if I close all PG-8X windows.

CPU goes around 50%, and there's some clicky sound.
I noticed also that switching programs in PG-8X by sending input ProgChange message is quite CPU-intensive, it looks strange. Maybe some GUI processing takes place in audio thread, I don't know. But a while ago I struggled a lot with nearly the same things in BlueARP.

Hope this helps to reproduce the crash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The project does not seem to do anything usefull, apart from quickly cycling throught the bank on all 3 instances, but it does not crash for me.

CPU is very high indeed. Need to investigate.

What CPU do you have?

Martin
graywolf2004 wrote:I created a project which severely crashes FL Studio in my case - see attached file.
(tried multithreaded processing on and off)

How this project works:
1. "Dashboard" track has a slider "ProgChange", this slider is connected to 'Program select' of MIDI Out track
2. MIDI Out track is connected to 3 instances of PG-8X (they all receive MIDI messages from it)
3. Finally, "ProgChange" slider is automated.

Each time "ProgChange" slider changes its value, all 3 instances of PG-8X receive Program Change MIDI message. It happens while playback, there are some dummy chords on the track also.
It models my workflow - I have several instances of PG-8X playing and need to change programs on the fly.

When I press play, it just freezes. Just open this project and press play.
In my case it freezes even if I close all PG-8X windows.

CPU goes around 50%, and there's some clicky sound.
I noticed also that switching programs in PG-8X by sending input ProgChange message is quite CPU-intensive, it looks strange. Maybe some GUI processing takes place in audio thread, I don't know. But a while ago I struggled a lot with nearly the same things in BlueARP.

Hope this helps to reproduce the crash.

martin_l wrote:The project does not seem to do anything usefull, apart from quickly cycling throught the bank on all 3 instances, but it does not crash for me.

CPU is very high indeed. Need to investigate.

What CPU do you have?

Martin
Hi. Thanks for looking into it.
My CPU is Intel Core i7-4720HQ @2.60GHz (running at maximum speed)
I didnt have any stability issues with my system yet (having it around 3 months),
FL didn't crash with other plugins.

This project only purpose is to reproduce the situation which leads to crash in an "extreme" way, with everything unnecessary removed (including other plugins).
If I give you my real project - you have first to play it around 15 minutes until it occasionally crashes.
I noticed that crashes happen mostly on program switch (when BlueARP sends program change message to PG-8X), but rerely - when I just press new chord.
Anyway, I think high CPU load during program swtiching and crashes on my system have the common reason.
This may also depend on both FL Studio and Fruity Wrapper settings, but I have them all default as I remember. I even tried to reinstall FL Studio with clean settings, still no luck.

PS. To be more precise - im not sure it crashes completely in my case, seems like only GUI stops responding, sound still goes on and CPU load is around 25%.

Hi, I am having basically the same CPU (i7-2600K running at 3.4 GHz).
The main difference is that I am having Win 7 Home edition (64bit).

I played again with your project file, toggled the multi-threading, but can''t make it crash.

Can anybody else reproduce the crash?

I can't do much more before the next weekend. Then I could try to install everything on my wife's computer, which runs Win10.

Cheers,
Martin

graywolf2004 wrote:[
Hi. Thanks for looking into it.
My CPU is Intel Core i7-4720HQ @2.60GHz (running at maximum speed)
I didnt have any stability issues with my system yet (having it around 3 months),
FL didn't crash with other plugins.

This project only purpose is to reproduce the situation which leads to crash in an "extreme" way, with everything unnecessary removed (including other plugins).
If I give you my real project - you have first to play it around 15 minutes until it occasionally crashes.
I noticed that crashes happen mostly on program switch (when BlueARP sends program change message to PG-8X), but rerely - when I just press new chord.
Anyway, I think high CPU load during program swtiching and crashes on my system have the common reason.
This may also depend on both FL Studio and Fruity Wrapper settings, but I have them all default as I remember. I even tried to reinstall FL Studio with clean settings, still no luck.

PS. To be more precise - im not sure it crashes completely in my case, seems like only GUI stops responding, sound still goes on and CPU load is around 25%.

Gentlemen,

I have been following and suffering this issue (having it discovered first), and i tried Graywolf's project. The result, i'm sorry to say, is a massive freeze, as shown here :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0oRgQ ... sp=sharing

Thanks for your involvement in this bug, and thanks for such a great plugin.

Regards,
DJ Daemonix
DJ Daemonix

Founder of Blaze Studios
www.youtube.com/BlazeProdsOfficial

Martin, I appreciate the amount of work you've put in on this, and while I haven't had any show-stopping problems with it, I would like to ask one small "favor": If you could be consistent with the name of the .DLL file, Sonar (and other DAWs) wouldn't see this as a "different" synth with each version.

For example, this latest version is called "PG-8X.dll" (which is technically the correct name), while the previous version was called "PG8X.dll". And I have an even older version you made that has a completely different name.

The "PG-8X.dll" name is fine with me, if you're going to stay with that. For now, I've simply re-named the latest .DLLs, but I could see where this could cause problems for others, as it would have done for me, if I hadn't noticed.

Thanks again for the tremendous effort you've put into this!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:Martin, I appreciate the amount of work you've put in on this, and while I haven't had any show-stopping problems with it, I would like to ask one small "favor": If you could be consistent with the name of the .DLL file, Sonar (and other DAWs) wouldn't see this as a "different" synth with each version.

For example, this latest version is called "PG-8X.dll" (which is technically the correct name), while the previous version was called "PG8X.dll". And I have an even older version you made that has a completely different name.

The "PG-8X.dll" name is fine with me, if you're going to stay with that. For now, I've simply re-named the latest .DLLs, but I could see where this could cause problems for others, as it would have done for me, if I hadn't noticed.

Thanks again for the tremendous effort you've put into this!

Steve
Hi Steve,

The renaming was actually suggested in this forum some pages ago.
I decided to rename the plugin to PG-8X.dll as this is also the name which it reported to the DAW. So everything should be more consistent now. Future releases will have the file name PG-8X.dll (or .vst on Mac).

Cheers,
Martin

Return to “Instruments”