Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Deep Purple wrote:although cheaper guitars are never going to have that quality guitar feel that you get from investing in a guitar crafted from better quality parts and build processes.
Oh for sure. I'm fortunate enough to be in the position to buy "the good stuff". But, I was totally stunned with some of the guitars that were available for literally 10x less. There are little things like rolled frets, better relief adjustment and those little finish details around edges and cutouts that are clearly better on the higher priced guys. Not to mention things you mentioned like more choice woods, better hardware etc ..

But, from a stock pickup, decent maple or rosewood fretboard and just plain fit, there's no comparison from my teen days. That Epiphone Archtop has tremendous intonation. Great feel. Has a good approximation of a PAF sound (although they aren't PAFs). The bridge was super simple to set up as it was already close. And, had proper adjustments and parts that didn't fall out. And, it has that throaty sustain that you get a335 for. Most of all it was very playable. For UNDER $400. Stunning.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Deep Purple wrote:I might have to look into that. Haven't been budgeting for a 7 string, but it's always been at the back of my mind. I've never been concerned about buying entry level guitars, as very few are completely unplayable, and there's always the option of a few cheap upgrades before committing to a high end version of that guitar.

Any idea on when?
It should be ready in 2 months.

Uncle E wrote:
Deep Purple wrote:I might have to look into that. Haven't been budgeting for a 7 string, but it's always been at the back of my mind. I've never been concerned about buying entry level guitars, as very few are completely unplayable, and there's always the option of a few cheap upgrades before committing to a high end version of that guitar.

Any idea on when?
It should be ready in 2 months.
Awesome! I hope you're going to post an update in this thread!
Sweet child in time...

SJ_Digriz wrote:Maybe I have faulty memory, but the state of the sub $500 electric guitar is currently head and shoulders above where it used to me.
I agree, especially when it comes to ESP and PRS. The PRS SE's are amazing. Also, the current SE's blow away the first generation of SE's (called Santana's back then), which further proves your point that budget level guitars have gotten much better than before.

With that said, I've been disappointed with every Epiphone and Squier I've played, I don't think those are as good as the budget ESP's and PRS's.
Even that next tier of sub $1000 is killer.
I like ESP's 400-series, which are normally around $700 each.
Acoustics on the other hand, there are gazillions of choices, but mostly sound and play like shit. But, you had to jump BIG dollars to make a difference, so it ended up the same. Spend > $500 just as good as > $1000 pretty much.
Taylor's Baby, Big Baby, and GS Mini are all great, especially for recording. My buddy paid $500 for his alternate wood Martin and that sounds surprisingly great. However, none of them sound like a Taylor 810 or other guitars on that level.

Uncle E wrote:I agree, especially when it comes to ESP and PRS.
ESP and PRS were on the list as were schecter and Ibanez. I agree on most of the EPI stuff, that it isn't at that level. But for some reason the Archtop was a winner.

The first two folks I helped went the SE route. But that was > $500
Taylor's Baby, Big Baby, and GS Mini are all great, especially for recording. My buddy paid $500 for his alternate wood Martin and that sounds surprisingly great. However, none of them sound like a Taylor 810 or other guitars on that level.
It's funny how we can argue electric tone forever and never get anywhere, but most people can strum an acoustic 1 time and tell instantly that it has that squished plasticy tone or a resonant woody tone. The difference between those compressed fiber backed Martins and even the cheapest Dxx is incredible. Compare the cheap Dxx to one of the Adirondack top models and again WOW difference.

SJ_Digriz wrote:There are little things like rolled frets, better relief adjustment and those little finish details around edges and cutouts that are clearly better on the higher priced guys.
We have a $199 ESP set up as a demonstration of what a $100 fret job and set up from our tech can do. It's pretty amazing. If we swap the pickups out, it would go toe-to-toe with American guitars.

Deep Purple wrote:Awesome! I hope you're going to post an update in this thread!
Will do! Here are pictures of the prototype:

ImageImage

Uncle E wrote:$100 fret job and set up from our tech can do.
I had frets and relief done correctly for the first time about 20 years ago. It was like having someone clean an inch of dirt off your glasses.

This was the heart of my point I think. ESP and a couple other companies are making affordable guitars that respond to a professional setup. I bought an SG clone about 15ish years ago for a nephew that wanted to learn guitar and loved the SG look. That guitar could NOT be setup. The truss rod was virtually useless. The frets were jelo and rocking in their grooves, and the nut fell off when the hi E broke and the pressure from the Lower strings pulled too hard ... because the saddle was not aligned and not adjustable. That was actually not that cheap a guitar .. I don't remember exactly how much, but around $500. (by the way, I did not see the guitar until after the purchase .. or it never would have been bought).

But that is pretty much my experience with cheaper guitars from years gone by. That's just one example.
Last edited by SJ_Digriz on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

double sorry

Evidently this is my next guitar! Martin HD-28. Also picked up a Taylor PS10CE, but was done at the last second so didn't get a shot at a picture.

EDIT: I guess KVR can't process google photo links?

Although not a guitar, I also picked up a an insanely good amp. Morgan RCA34CR. It's a 35 watt Class A 1 channel, but the killer feature is that you can swap pretty much any quad pin power tube in without having to rebias. It sounds amazing. I have Marshelly sounds from an quasi Egnater designed amp I built, and I have Fender covered. This can get in the AC30 voicing. Plus with the tube swap you can get some other voices as well. And it just sounds awesome.

Finally have the completed neck for my strat build. I think it's a keeper.

SJ_Digriz wrote:Evidently this is my next guitar! Martin HD-28. Also picked up a Taylor PS10CE, but was done at the last second so didn't get a shot at a picture.

EDIT: I guess KVR can't process google photo links?
Sweet Strings!
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
Deep Purple wrote:I'm probably going to pick up a 12 string acoustic next, but I keep thinking about getting round to buying a 7 string electric at some point. I don't want to spend the big bucks on that, so I've been looking at some of what I would imagine are the better quality budget ones.
We're going to be putting out a 7-String soon. It will start at $199 and then have options for pickup upgrades.
Pickups/tone is what has been holding back on 7-Strings. I've never heard good tone from a 7 string. Keep in mind I despise the current death metal and prog metal sound. Some of the players are amazing, but godz the sound is awful to me. Tobin Abasi for example ... love the playing HATE the tone.

Somebody let me know when there are 7 string pickups that don't sound like ass please.
this is going to sound weird, but the danelectro mod 7s sounded great. not very metal, though, i suppose. ah, it's an opinion. but, in my opinion it's true.

lectrixboogaloo wrote: this is going to sound weird, but the danelectro mod 7s sounded great. not very metal, though, i suppose. ah, it's an opinion. but, in my opinion it's true.
I can't say I know that I've heard them specifically. So, I'll make an effort to do so. Also, I have no problem that different people like different sound. I have a couple of metal head friends. When I get in their cars I feel like I'm listening to am radio in a dumpster. They love it. But, they feel the same when they get in my car.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”