Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Moog is an american company. Afaik Roland gear is also cheaper in Japan. I don't know of course it's just an assumption that this could cause a price difference to other countrys.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

MrFurious wrote:Actually it's mostly the other way around. US salaries are higher than Europe salaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_household_income.

Edit: And note the figures are before taxes, so the US having significantly lower taxes will probably take them all the way to the top for buying power.
That's incorrect. The median household income purchasing power from the link is EXACTLY adjusted and cleaned for price differences between the countries. So what you are linking to is just a confirmation of my statement. The real income (where price differences are talken into account) between the median US household and an average western EU-contry is roughly the same.

The purchasing power parity referes to a general price level index where each good in the index has a specific weigth defined after its percentage of total consumtion each year. A popular "layman's" index is called the "Bigmac" index. The Bigmac index is an index of how much a Bigmac costs in different countries.

The overall world price index is calculated by comparing each contry's relative price level to US prices.

So what you are refering to is income ADJUSTED for price differences in the contries.

If the median income in US is $50.000 and the median income in Germany is $75.000 (converted from Euros) but the price index in Germany is 125 (where US has price index 100) Then the real purchasing power for Germans is $75.000 / 1.25 = $60.000.

And what you are refering to is the average median income AFTER this adjustment. In this case it would be:

Germany $60.000
US $50.000

The Euro Area has on average a 12% higher price index compared to US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity
But many EU contries have significantly higher prices than US. For example Sweden and Norway have a 75 and 80% higher price level compared to US.
Last edited by Hans25 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nice, we expect you to buy $10,000 more worth of plug-ins per year than an American, then.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:Nice, we expect you to buy $10,000 more worth of plug-ins per year than an American, then.
It was JUST an example :D. And I'm not german. Actually germans are poorer than americans:
US meadian real income in $: 43,585. German median real income: 33,333 (from the link above).

As long as Uncle E. & Co. don't discriminate between countries I will promise that I will buy a considerably amount of plugins in the future ;-).

Income in the USA is largely higher on the coasts than it is in the middle of the country. So if you are living on 50K comfortably in St. Louis, you would need ~75K in California and something like 115K in NYC. The Cost of Living is wildly different by US region. This alters the median income with the coasts being highly populous. Plus, each state gets to set their own tax rates. Some states have no sales tax while others have ~10% sales tax. They make up the difference, those with no sales tax, with other tax such as property or state income tax.

It is a very complicated topic.

VitaminD wrote:Income in the USA is largely higher on the coasts than it is in the middle of the country. So if you are living on 50K comfortably in St. Louis, you would need ~75K in California and something like 115K in NYC. The Cost of Living is wildly different by US region. This alters the median income with the coasts being highly populous. Plus, each state gets to set their own tax rates. Some states have no sales tax while others have ~10% sales tax. They make up the difference, those with no sales tax, with other tax such as property or state income tax.

It is a very complicated topic.
Yes of course it's a very complicated topic. You can become a professor in Economics within this subject. In almost any country there are price differences within the country that requires a higher income some places compared to others. The main cause of that is housing and land prices. A house in a suburban close to a large city will probably have higher price because of the higher demand. In contrast a house in the country in Alabama, same size and quality would probably be much cheaper.

In an expensive restaurant a cup of coffee costs 10 times as much as if you went to the local pub. In Hollywood the rich people live because no one else can afford the prices.

But goods purchased on the web like electronics don't have large price differences because people can easily order the good nomatter where they live in the country.

Matrix 12V is still available at $49 at Musician Friend, so I don't think they made a mistake with the sales price, otherwise they would have pulled it by now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/software ... ix&index=4

Numanoid wrote:Matrix 12V is still available at $49 at Musician Friend, so I don't think they made a mistake with the sales price, otherwise they would have pulled it by now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/software ... ix&index=4
And it's available at the same price at guitarcenter. But my little trick doesn't work there ;-).
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Arturia/Obe ... ownload.gc

And even cheaper (46 $) from a good seller of KVR :
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=445172

Guitar Center and Musicians Friend are the same company, btw.

Thanks for the link to my sale hivkorn. :)

Comparing income in USA to European countries is also difficult because we have to pay for our own health "insurance". That also includes the partial benefit towards said insurance provided by some employers and the fact that even though many of us have insurance, we have co-pays and the insurance does not pay the full amount. The insurance may pay the 90% of the > $60k bill for emergency angioplasty, stenting, and hospital stay for a heart attack, but that means one is stuck with > $6k that one must pay out of pocket (I know, I had a heart attack about 8.5 years ago). For colon cancer, as one of my friends had, the cost is significantly higher than that.

In countries that have true socialized medicine, taxes may be higher to pay for it, but the huge money soak for the insurance companies and bloated hospital administration does not necessarily exist.

Anyway, my point is that "income" does not measure "quality of life".

To have the same quality of life I have in Minnesota if I were to say be working for Apple in Cupertino instead of 3M in St. Paul then I would have to be able to reach my office/lab in < 10 minutes and live in a nice > 2500 sq ft house on a wooded lot in a very nice suburb. That probably means my home would cost in the >> $1 million range, if I could find one. So yeah, location does mean something.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

hivkorn wrote:And even cheaper (46 $) from a good seller of KVR :
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=445172
Only bad that it's limited to one sale.. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Modular V was launched in March 2003 at price of €329

With inflation, getting it for €50 now is like paying 10% of the original price.

jsp1979 wrote:Guitar Center and Musicians Friend are the same company, btw.
Yes I know. You told us before :D. Thanks for the reminder :tu:. It's nice to know that they have made a conspiracy together.

How many installs does Arturia allow / what is the copy protection?
Last edited by LGK_Dude on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”