The I promise I will not buy more gear-thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fedexnman wrote:If I sell something I'm not using before I buy something I feel a little better
No doubt, of course, we all know that buying is much much less hassle than selling :)
, but right now its purge, sell , and fix ...
I have a lot of that to do. The problem that I have is that both fixing and selling have huge transaction costs in terms of time, so neither gets done unless I'm able to set up something of an assembly line.

Yep I hear you ! I have a Baritone acoustic guitar that I need to glue the bridge put a cheap piezo in string change and sell . I have a Bass guitar that I want to change out the pre in to a Nordstrand pre I changed the pickups to Nords a couple if years ago should of bought the pre too duh . I like it in passive mode so its NOT a priority . I have a 12 string Larrivee I want to sell as well as the Baritone guitar I want to fix and sell . I have a Roland cube 30 amp I want to sell . I have a mic that makes some subtle slight noise that I need to send off , its almost not a priority I use it just the same . Then there is the task of getting guitar shipping boxes and eBay selling . That's a big list ...
Stuff I want but DONT need, but would need to do my above list 1st. All this cramps my creativity . That and my Mother in law lives with us now and I feel I need my own space the F away from everyone if I'm gonna belt out some singing. This is nuts . Oh my list of stuff I'd like but won't get or but . lolz I actually wouldn't mind getting rid of my electric guitar and amp too . Oh my list still .
Larrivee D-40 Walnut/spruce or all mahogany
Nordstrand bass pre
Phil Jones Bass amp double 4 75 watt
Small list really .

fedexnman wrote: All this cramps my creativity .
Exactly. One thing that I've done just over the weekend, in fact, is to gather up all broken cables, they're on the bench, fix or trash by this weekend.
That and my Mother in law lives with us now and I feel I need my own space the F away from everyone if I'm gonna belt out some singing.
I don't mean to project, but for me, since I'm not really a good singer but I do like to sing, I find that having other people in earshot makes me self conscious to the point that it affects my performance. I don't mean in a super insecure way, I've played in bands and belted out Billy Idol tunes for literally dozens of beer drinking customers. We weren't kidding though when we said "the more you drink, the better we sound."

I mean more in the way that I feel that I need the privacy to explore variations and allow them to sound really bad if necessary. I'm less likely to take risks if I think that people are listening. I didn't take risks in bands, we usually played them like we practiced them.

I like the privacy for exploring vocal melodies and words for original songs also getting the tempo right because I sing and play at the same time . I love my Mom in law though , its not her fault . I thought about giving some of my not used stuff to good will or charity . I'd hate to go to a pawn shop or Guitar Center and let them rip me off for good used stuff . I'll make desicion sooner or later or do some tidying . Also when Mom in law moved in its been about a year , I had to cram a bunch if crap in the music room closet . Its really cramped .

fedexnman wrote:If I sell something I'm not using before I buy something I feel a little better , but right now its purge, sell , and fix ... There is stuff I'd love to have , but I'd have to trade or sell before I'd settle or justify getting anything at this point . I guess I feel the need to create and feel a little bit cramped .
I'll go through the cycles. I too like to sell stuff before I buy. Right now I'm still at a surplus in the paypal account. Also, it's funny too.......when I check my regular account (different from the house account) all of the sudden it doesn't dwindle as fast every month.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :hihi:

Not purchased much gear recently.

Software: several updates, some new sample libraries (OrangeTree Passion Flute is amazing!).

Hardware, just the iConnectMIDI4+ but it still hasn't landed in Australia and won't do for another 1.5 weeks. It's been 2 years since it was announced, so I'll hang in there but sheesh ... get a move on lads!
... space is the place ...

This thread has helped me out of my funk a little bit ..... Thanks guys ...was feeling funky funky ...

Honest I've bought my last guitar for the year.,,, unless I wind the lottery.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

So I get paid for my not taking sick days and there is an extra $90 in there on top of working 57 hours last week . Then I get an Sale email ... Oh well looks like I got me a new Bass guitar pre to solder and fool with it was $40 cheaper than usual what a sale . Still need to sell and purge stuff though ..

fedexnman wrote:I like the privacy for exploring vocal melodies and words for original songs also getting the tempo right because I sing and play at the same time . I love my Mom in law though , its not her fault . I thought about giving some of my not used stuff to good will or charity . I'd hate to go to a pawn shop or Guitar Center and let them rip me off for good used stuff . I'll make desicion sooner or later or do some tidying . Also when Mom in law moved in its been about a year , I had to cram a bunch if crap in the music room closet . Its really cramped .
Could you soundproof that closet into an isolation booth for vocals?
Or make it a giant rack room, with multi-tiered keyboard stand(s)?
Being able to readily fire up the old gear might be good for it's electronics.
And memory lane is often user friendly.
Cheers

ghettosynth wrote: I mean more in the way that I feel that I need the privacy to explore variations and allow them to sound really bad if necessary. I'm less likely to take risks if I think that people are listening. I didn't take risks in bands, we usually played them like we practiced them.
I think a lot of people like or need such creative privacy. Some studios
secretly tape the practice runs and warmups, in case the best takes
should come early. Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin can give vocalists
hope and inspiration. I doubt Mr. Dylan is big on autotune,
and if applied to old tracks, or his new creations, they might be
less interesting to long-time listeners.
Cheers

I'm pretty well done. I am primarily a guitarist, and I have a wonderful little collection (just got a Martin D-28, WOW!). As far as software goes, I've spent the last year buying software that will replace, for the most part, the IKM VIs that don't work in 64 bit. I am now suffering from choice overload, and that gets in the way of my own creative process. So, I am not buying any more software for the foreseeable future, nor guitars for that matter. In fact, I am trying to sell about 6 of those, but it isn't a seller's market out there.

I was tempted to upgrade from BFD2 to 3, but decided against it. Vetoed EZDrummer 2, as well, and have decided to stick with Addictive Drums (1 & 2).

So, I promise I won't buy any more gear until something comes along that I can justify.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I had my gear lust solved for me. I have Cancer stage 4 and so I'm dis-abled. Living on SSI disability the only luxuries I can afford are rent, utilities, and food. Not necessarily in that order. Obamacare pays for my meds . So if you can afford a "toy" every now and then be happy. Luckily there are still some generous devs releasing freeware. I just tell myself my music would still suck even if I could afford the latest "soundgoodizer" :hihi:

:( Wow, that puts things into perspective.

Yep. It certainly does. :( :hug:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”