Braindoc pitch shifter and multi core = no go?

Official support for: rs-met.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Robin,

I sent you an email, but thought also to post here - hope it's ok for you:

I am a big fan of your braindoc plugins (especially the pitch shifter and LPC vocoder), I find them powerful, fairly easy to use/tweak, and high quality!!!

I've recently upgraded to a quad core machine, was using a single core before, and I have sadly discovered that Pitch Shifter suffers from being used in a multi core aware host (SONAR 8 here):

as soon as I add a second Pitch Shifter instance and I have multiprocessing engine on in the host, I get spikes and other problems that make the plugin completely unusable.

Just turning multiprocessor engine off and the two instances work well, of course at the expense of not being able to use multi core processing.

I fear also other plugins have the same issue; do you think it is possible that you update sometime in the future the plugins to correct the issue?

Thanks a lot and best wishes for the new year!

- Mario

mabian wrote:Hello Robin,

I sent you an email, but thought also to post here - hope it's ok for you
oh yes - that's what the support forum is made for and i even prefer to discuss such things here. as for your mail - i only found it yesterday and would probably have replied later this day - i don't check my gmx account that often anymore as i use my address at rs-met nowadays as primary email address
I am a big fan of your braindoc plugins (especially the pitch shifter and LPC vocoder), I find them powerful, fairly easy to use/tweak, and high quality!!!
:D
I've recently upgraded to a quad core machine, was using a single core before, and I have sadly discovered that Pitch Shifter suffers from being used in a multi core aware host (SONAR 8 here):

as soon as I add a second Pitch Shifter instance and I have multiprocessing engine on in the host, I get spikes and other problems that make the plugin completely unusable.

Just turning multiprocessor engine off and the two instances work well, of course at the expense of not being able to use multi core processing.

I fear also other plugins have the same issue; do you think it is possible that you update sometime in the future the plugins to correct the issue?
so you are talking about my old PitchShifter on the braindoc website or do you have similar problems with the rs-met pitch-shifter? if you are not aware of the rs-met one - check it out. it's free too and better than the old one. in general, if there should be any form of continued development of the old braindoc plugins, it will be in the context of rs-met. ...and pitch shifter is actually an example of that
Thanks a lot and best wishes for the new year!

- Mario
same to you!
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

I guessed the braindoc email contact was old, that's the main reason I thought of posting here :)

My report is about braindoc pitch shifter, will give the newer one a shot and report back.

Cheers,
Mario

Honestly, I did not use the newest plugins which version number is less than 1, and Pitch Shifter is 0.5; do you consider those plugins stable and mature anyway?

- Mario

mabian wrote:Honestly, I did not use the newest plugins which version number is less than 1, and Pitch Shifter is 0.5; do you consider those plugins stable and mature anyway?

- Mario
well i'm a bit cautios with tacking the v1.0 on something, especially when i'm still considering to include more features. so as for stability - i would think it is stable - i did not observe any issues myself and had no bug reports so far - and it's online already for a while. but - of course, as always - no guarantees being made

Ok, I just tried adding a braindoc pitchshifter + new pitchshifter pair in two different tracks.

As soon as I enable the two braindoc plugins I get the horrendous noise.
But the newer pitchshifters work flawlessly; I still have to check the overall quality, but the multicore issue doesn't seem to affect the newer plugin :)

Thanks!
Mario

mabian wrote:But the newer pitchshifters work flawlessly; I still have to check the overall quality, but the multicore issue doesn't seem to affect the newer plugin :)
that is good. there should be nothing to be missed when switching to the new pitch-shifter: the algorithm is essentialy the same when anti-alias and grain-adapt are switched off. and when switched on, it should actually improve the quality (but anti-alias makes sense only for upward-shifts and grain-adapt only for pitched monophonic material)

Return to “rs-met”