KVR Singers project :: New song with bluedad

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bluedad generously offered to partecipate to this small project and I wrote a swing pop song for him,

he sings it with great feel IMHO,

check the mix preview I did today
http://dashsignature.com/mp3/singers/swing_for_gary.mp3

the other songs of the project are are downloadable at
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224779 no mix is finished I'm still working on the arrangement, these are only mp3 previews

Liqih
One of the best tracks I have ever heard from you. Very Nice!

And BlueDad... Always loved your singing and you get better and better.
Great Collab guys.

As you said this was a premix, I would love to hear the final mix so let us know here. The mix is also great but I think perhaps a bit less Bass as I get slight distortion from this MP3??? (It could be the mp3 rip too however as I love the way the bass is prominent).

Paul

Were the background vocals laid down, firstly? Consider laying them down, after the lead vocals. (This way they back him up.) I'll bet he sung on top of what you gave him, yeah?

I very much liked the melody. The verse(s) were really good. However, I got the impression that the song left the vocalist out to dry in a few of the middle bits (chorus?). Personally, I would take what the vocalist gave you and go back to compliment his offering(s), instead of him complimenting your song. IMO, this will make more of both. :D
I've got nothing to sell...am I on the right site?

manytone wrote:Liqih
One of the best tracks I have ever heard from you. Very Nice!

And BlueDad... Always loved your singing and you get better and better.
Great Collab guys.

As you said this was a premix, I would love to hear the final mix so let us know here. The mix is also great but I think perhaps a bit less Bass as I get slight distortion from this MP3??? (It could be the mp3 rip too however as I love the way the bass is prominent).

Paul
Thanks Paul, the encoding was made quickly and it could be some distortion.

ughnonumus wrote:Were the background vocals laid down, firstly? Consider laying them down, after the lead vocals. (This way they back him up.) I'll bet he sung on top of what you gave him, yeah?

I very much liked the melody. The verse(s) were really good. However, I got the impression that the song left the vocalist out to dry in a few of the middle bits (chorus?). Personally, I would take what the vocalist gave you and go back to compliment his offering(s), instead of him complimenting your song. IMO, this will make more of both. :D
Thanks for the comments, but I'm not sure to understand everything you wrote, <grin>,

you mean to rearrange the song starting from the vocal track which was sung on the first arrangement I did?

what you mean with: the song left the vocalist out to dry?

maybe that fact is that the arrangement is not in the mood felt by the singer for this melopdy, that happens quite frequenly when you write songes for someone, the singer may like the melody but he would feel a different sound or harmony. He could adapt himself but it takes time, more than one weekend.

liqih wrote:
ughnonumus wrote:Were the background vocals laid down, firstly? Consider laying them down, after the lead vocals. (This way they back him up.) I'll bet he sung on top of what you gave him, yeah?

Thanks for the comments, but I'm not sure to understand everything you wrote, <grin>,

you mean to rearrange the song starting from the vocal track which was sung on the first arrangement I did?

hwta you mean with: the song left the vocalist out to dry?
When I was listening to your song, it became apparent to me that the background vocals were supplied to the vocalist. He sang on top of what you offered him. Perhaps, I'm mistaken, but this is what I believed I heard. I'm suggesting that you go back and (re-)add the background vocals to what he's done, simply put. In other words- back him up. This might include adding the background vocals, again...as though they are backing up a vocalist who put it down, firstly, instead of the other way around.

IMO, you created a bit of a placeholder for the vocalist to come in and do their part. By going back and playing to what he put down might enhance the song in certain areas. I'm suggesting that this might be done for the background vocals and the middle (chorus) sections, where is sounding a little like he was by himself...instruments/Fx might do here.
I've got nothing to sell...am I on the right site?

Good track. Nice work there Gary!

My main crit would be to use a less pedestrian snare, especially since its ultimate function here is as a timekeeper. Something with a more hollow sound would have more character in this context, methinks. And a few tasty little snare-isms in a few choice spots would really help sell it as un-programmed.

In fact, now that I think about it, brushed snare might be the answer. :shrug:
Last edited by Shane Sanders on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ughnonumus wrote: When I was listening to your song, it became apparent to me that the background vocals were supplied to the vocalist. He sang on top of what you offered him. Perhaps, I'm mistaken, but this is what I believed I heard. I'm suggesting that you go back and (re-)add the background vocals to what he's done, simply put. In other words- back him up. This might include adding the background vocals, again...as though they are backing up a vocalist who put it down, firstly, instead of the other way around.

IMO, you created a bit of a placeholder for the vocalist to come in and do their part. By going back and playing to what he put down might enhance the song in certain areas. I'm suggesting that this might be done for the background vocals and the middle (chorus) sections, where is sounding a little like he was by himself...instruments/Fx might do here.

Thanks I understand now, but the background vocals didn't exist before Gary sang it, for they are made by the same his part I trasposed, <grin>

what he had to follow was the synth melody I wrote, what you hear might be that the chours melody is not as easy as the verse and would need more practice,

so Gary, the singer, sounds more spontaneous in the verse than in the chorus, and that's also the reason why I doubled him in the chorus with his own vocals trasposed up,

anwyay I think I can still improve that in the master mix I will do, no instruments is definitive yet.

Shane Sanders wrote:Good track. Nice work there Gary!

My main crit would be to use a less pedestrian snare, especially since it's ultimate function here is as a timekeeper. Something with a more hollow sound would have more character in this context, methinks. And a few tasty little snare-isms in a few choice spots would really help sell it as un-programmed.

In fact, now that I think about it, brushed snare might be the answer. :shrug:
Thanks Shane, I will try the brushed snare,

BRAVO! :-o :hyper:

Excellent work liqih! :clap:

Usual great soulful vocals from Gary! :tu:

Cheers,
Alex :phones:

Liqih,

great track! I really like the marriage of the vocals to the music. I listen to this track, and I hear a double bass and a more "real" sounding snare (maybe the previously mentioned brush), mixed with the other electronic elements.

Wow is the first time I hear Bluedad, I really like his voice! :D
And about the song: I like it and I can't express any idea on pruduction, really I don't care if something can be done better: I enjoyed the song and Bluedad voice :D

(ok ok, maybe the bass guitar is a little bit dominant over the other instruments on some spots... :))

Oh Luigi,

I simply :love: this song ... and i wouldn't change anything :wink:

has the instant classic touch like the one you did with Remco for the contest some months ago. Bluedad's vox are :hail: !

chrimel :clap:
"It dreamed itself along"

Nice work liqih, although the harmony was quite a surprise. Since we'll be doing some bits more, I may throw in a bit of harmony too. Sorry I was unable to do a respectable whistle.
As for the snare, I'm quite fond of it as is.
I LOVE the song; it's been going through my head for days

bluedad wrote:Nice work liqih, although the harmony was quite a surprise. Since we'll be doing some bits more, I may throw in a bit of harmony too. Sorry I was unable to do a respectable whistle.
As for the snare, I'm quite fond of it as is.
I LOVE the song; it's been going through my head for days
And you very well should! Classic BlueDad vox, but shiny and new!

It's goin' through my head too.
:D

But very surprised to hear that it is you on the harmony vox! :-o :P :oops: :o

Return to “Music Cafe”