EQ merge at 96Hz creates loud noise when switching to 44.1K

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Spaceboy,
I don't know what you can do about this programmatically...my ears are still ringin yeaow...
We had a upsample your mix thread going last week and the idea was to switch between 96KHz files and 44.1KHz files (ans switch the host sample rate) to see what changes in sounds various FX have at different sample rates.

I'm in Tracktion2 and tried out FreEq at 96Hz, I don't know if it's supposed to handle 96K cause I started getting some loud clicking so I threw a limiter on the buss for protection.
Then I did an EQ match from a commercial release and put it over another song (it smoothed the curve over nicely as expected). But then when I switched sample rates in Tracktion to 44.1 (and went back to the 44.1K wav file) and played the song a +85db screetch happened. That was because the eq match was now f/2 and there was a huge gain at what used to be nyquist or thereabouts, now it was at 12KHz. Good thing I had put the limiter on there. Even so I got some overshoots and ouch...

Anyway I thought I'd mention it. I don't know what you could do about it maybe you'll come up with something or a note in the manual or whatever.

-Kyle

I guess, I need to add an automatic reset of all buffers when sample rate changes.

It is asumed that you start and finish the track with the same sample rate.

In the mean time, perhaps you can remember to press Reset after chaning sample rate.

FreEq Boy should work fine at 96 kHz. It's tested up to 192.

Just be sure to reset.

Space Boy wrote: Just be sure to reset.
Oh OK - thanks, I'll try that! That would kill the curve I drew also I suspect (?), that's OK, it's alot better than the alternative.

We can blame all this on bduffy ... :hihi:

ED: I just saw another dumb thing I was letting slip. I haven't done eq merging for a long time (obviously) and at nyquist on the resulting merge curve the gain shot up to +85db because of source and reference differences. I just redrew the curve at that point to less than 0db and the clicks went away at 96KHz also. Just gotta know how to work my plugs! :D

kylen wrote:ED: I just saw another dumb thing I was letting slip. I haven't done eq merging for a long time (obviously) and at nyquist on the resulting merge curve the gain shot up to +85db because of source and reference differences. I just redrew the curve at that point to less than 0db and the clicks went away at 96KHz also. Just gotta know how to work my plugs! :D
With great power comes great responsibility... :wink:

:dog: gots to watch those gain curves! Specially when they're drwan auto-magically!

OK I got it now - there is definitely a loud ass glitch when I finishing capturing a curve and hit the Capture button a 2nd time. I am not a loud ass glitch guy. This happens in 44.1KHz in Tracktion2 using FreEQ v5.0 . Can you recreate this one? It's burning my ears out. I've got the volume cut way back now so it won't sting.

ED#1: BTW I'm in an MS matrix and only using the left channel of FreEQ, the right channel is not connected in a Tracktion rack - don't know if that matters or not.

ED#2: It looks like merge/load EQ is causing something in Tracktion2 to loop as the cpu meter goes from about 20% to red >80%. FreEQ then loses the previous captured curve and goes bonkers. I'm doing the capture/merge EQ curves with Tracktion2 running, realtime in other words.

SpaceBoy were you ever able to re-create this from the last post ?

Will look into it when I get back to my development computer.

Space Boy wrote:Will look into it when I get back to my development computer.
What's the scoop? Can you not reproduce it, are you tied up on something else?

OK then, something must've come up. Life happens from time to time in between dsp plugin releases...take your time. :wink:

Hi Spaceboy - are you ever comin back in this thread again? Wassup?

kylen wrote:Hi Spaceboy - are you ever comin back in this thread again? Wassup?
Do you ever go on vacation?

I'm back and I'll take a look in the next few weeks - this ain't my only job.

Looks like Customer Support isn't your job either - if you don't like customers just say so. I've given you ample opportunity to make a note that says gone fishing or something. Instead you choose to be a smart ass. Fine I'll remember this... :x

kylen wrote:Looks like Customer Support isn't your job either - if you don't like customers just say so. I've given you ample opportunity to make a note that says gone fishing or something. Instead you choose to be a smart ass. Fine I'll remember this... :x
Settle down there bro! I don't think Spaceboy meant anything personal. As an outsider I didn't find anything insulting about his replies. They all seem perfectly reasonable to me.
My band eluvia | FB | Tweets | SC | Me on ABC

SuperFly76 wrote:
kylen wrote:Looks like Customer Support isn't your job either - if you don't like customers just say so. I've given you ample opportunity to make a note that says gone fishing or something. Instead you choose to be a smart ass. Fine I'll remember this... :x
Settle down there bro! I don't think Spaceboy meant anything personal. As an outsider I didn't find anything insulting about his replies. They all seem perfectly reasonable to me.
OK then - 2 votes for overreacting...no big deal you're thinkin...hmmm.

Return to “Elevayta”