What do you make music for? 🎹 🎶 🎸

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

What do you make music for?

1. To become a star and be rich and famous.
4%
2. To at least become known about it.
7%
3. Actually only for myself, but becoming known and famous would also make me happy.
20%
4. Actually only for myself, but I would like to be able to make a living from it financially.
28%
5. Just for myself. Notoriety means nothing to me.
41%

Total votes: 75

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mostly for myself. I find composing music to be very freeing

To listen to and to be creative,for fun and the challenge

jancivil wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:40 pm This is why I chose none of the options. No one can thrive in a vacuum. I've seen it attempted. NG: Don't Work. I make music qua music, but music never isn't a form of communication.
I was quite happy, when my deceased cat was still around, on days when I had weed, so I would get out of bed and make music.

I'm so fed up with being criminalized for enjoying weed, with all the FUD and hatred politicians sow for electoral gain, I don't want to hear a single thing about what's going on in my country anymore.

Not a total vacuum (and I obviously wasn't trying to "communicate" with my cats through music), but still, no people around (I even quit KVR for a while, when I ran out of weed to fend off depression).

Long ago I read Huysmans' "Against Nature", about an aesthete who goes total recluse in a kind of hedonistic way (I'm not a hedonist) - it doesn't end well:
"In the last lines of the book, he compares his return to human society to that of a non-believer trying to embrace religion"

enroe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:28 am
jancivil wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:40 pm ... but music never isn't a form of communication.
Isn't it? ... Or isn't it not never? :hyper:
I'm speaking English there.

[Pedant]The thread title should be 'For what do you make music?', if we're being all correct and that stuff.[/Pedant] :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:02 pm [Pedant]The thread title should be 'For what do you make music?', if we're being all correct and that stuff.[/Pedant] :hihi:
dullard. :hihi:

"for what" is afaic just an awkward way to say the simple "why?". Why a 'what'? For nothing. Colloquially, "I'll give you what for!" appeals...
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"for what purpose...?"
"for whom...?"

Those are better. So you're speaking English, now, too!

Who needs a reason?

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:20 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:02 pm [Pedant]The thread title should be 'For what do you make music?', if we're being all correct and that stuff.[/Pedant] :hihi:
dullard. :hihi:
Indisputably.

jancivil wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:44 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:40 pm ... but music never isn't a form of communication.
Does this double negative resolve into a positive, like:
... but music IS a form of communication
But I have my doubts, because there are also phrases
I didn't go nowhere today.
which are not clear: Does this mean "I went everywhere
today"? So did you actually say: "music is NOT a
form of communication?" And what is it instead?

That can lead to nightmares: Isn't music perhaps never a
form of miscommunication or rather not a form of
extraterrestrial not-jargon for nerds? :wheee:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

cptgone wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:04 pm I was quite happy, when my deceased cat was still around, ... , so I would get out of bed and make music.

Not a total vacuum (and I obviously wasn't trying to "communicate" with my cats through music), but still, no people around (I even quit KVR for a while, when I ran out of weed to fend off depression).

Long ago I read Huysmans' "Against Nature", about an aesthete who goes total recluse in a kind of hedonistic way (I'm not a hedonist) - it doesn't end well:

"In the last lines of the book, he compares his return to human society to that of a non-believer trying to embrace religion"
Yes - thanks cptgone! Here you focus - in an almost tragic way -
on the conflict between the individual and society.

The individual - the artist or the musician - creates his or her own
individual form of expression and art. And the many people,
“society”, don’t want to know or hear anything about it.

Anyone who doesn't have a large footprint in the commercial
market is exposed to this dilemma. Those who do not produce
for the market, i.e. those who are only creative for themselves,
are usually left alone. Ok, then there's the cat who listens. :neutral:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:00 am
jancivil wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:44 pm
Does this double negative resolve into a positive, like:
... but music IS a form of communication
But I have my doubts, because there are also phrases
I didn't go nowhere today.
What I did is quite standard use of a double negative (you may look it up); the other one is called bad grammar. The double negative I went with is not going to throw any native English speaker.
If you didn't go nowhere, you went somewhere ('I went everywhere' follows nothing of this), but there's no reason to phrase it that way and no one does. The usage I formed there follows context. A whole lot of people talk like that for one reason or another, a fair degree of which will be from ignorance; some prefer to be that colloquial and fit in with the other people that 'don't talk good' (also grammatically a faux pas).

BTW I do not make music 'just for myself' just because I don't make it for 'the marketplace'. I make music for the sake of making music. I actually share almost all of it, so I am not the 'just for myself' type or whatever as posited there; and if it's anything, music communicates. "just for myself", sounds suspect, insular, as though one is expected as happy with a closed loop if not within a type of vacuum. Absent all feedback, one is not likely to become very good at it.
I tend to doubt cats have any interest in it. When I was a child practicing trumpet a naborhood dog swung by to join in about every time.

There's also a concept in language known as a false (or unnecessary) dilemma, since you used that word. Unnecessary dichotomy. 'Doesn't make music for marketplace ie., makes music just for herself' is an example.

"I do not talk funny, I am sure"

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”