Hydrasynth

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jcub wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:51 pm FWIW, I have had no issues with MPE on the Hydrasynth. LinnStrument works fine for me with monophonic sounds on the Hydrasynth, including pitch bend. I must admit to being puzzled about the concept of MPE for monophonic sounds.
So are you saying you don’t have the problems in this video: https://youtu.be/XrhZ-G1lQtY
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I will try to reproduce the problem you flag in the video but I did not run into this problem using monophonic sounds just playing (including using pitch bend). Regardless, as I understand MPE, it does not apply to monophonic sounds. Do you have the same issues with monophonic sounds when you are not in MPE mode on the Hydrasynth?
Jeremy Cubert
Piano | Chapman Stick | LinnStrument | Zendrum
http://jeremycubert.com

Jeremy, you're missing the point here. As has been stated a few times in this thread, MPE on the Hydrasynth (correct me if I’m wrong) is a Global Setting and not otherwise saved with each patch; yet it causes problems (as Andy has demonstrated above) with mono/legato patches. No one here thinks MPE applies to mono sounds, and I think we're all tech savvy enough to understand the difference there; however...

I don't know how you manage your stage rig, but I don't have time to address Global Settings every time I need to switch patches mid-song (or ever for that matter). Dig? :wink:

Cheers!

I think it is confusing to refer to an MPE issue with monophonic sounds. I understand that it is really an issue with the global MPE setting when playing a monophonic sound. I will attempt to recreate the problem on my unit but did not notice it in my week of recording with Hydrasynth (using poly and mono patches).

I can see how the problem could be an issue on stage - especially in a complex rig with complex routings for each song.

All of that being said, it is an amazing sounding synth.
Jeremy Cubert

Quick and dirty video of me playing two mono and one poly Hydrasynth sound with LinnStrument including pitch bends etc. For the mono sounds I went back and forth between LinnStrument and the Hydrasynth keyboard using pitch bend on each.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh56en0mlwgu ... p.mov?dl=0
Jeremy Cubert

At no point in that video do you replicate the bugs!

My video shows how to.

Ok. I don’t seem to have run into a problem. I hope you are able to sort out the issues you are having.
Jeremy Cubert

Play a c, hold it, play the same c elsewhere and release it. Both notes turn off.

Play and hold a note, play and slide another note up and release, original held note changes pitch.

Play a note and hold it, play another note and hold that. Slide both notes. Pitchbend is corrupted

jcub wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:51 am Ok. I don’t seem to have run into a problem. I hope you are able to sort out the issues you are having.
Jeremy, all due respect, but while I can appreciate that you aren't encountering these bugs yourself, if only by virtue of the way that you play; it is, nevertheless, a bit frustrating that you endeavored to make a video denying said bugs, but didn't actually make an effort to reproduce them, despite the video that Andy graciously took the time to make, which very clearly and concisely demonstrates, not one, but three separate MPE related bugs, as well as an issue pertaining to note-priority in Mono/Legato mode.

Playing around the problems, doesn't mean they don't exist. I, for one, with the way that I play, could not simply avoid the above-mentioned bugs. And to say "I don't seem to have run into a problem...", as though the problems in question haven't already been definitively proven, is a bit of an odd tact. Good will to you, my friend, but I'm not sure where you're coming from here. :?

Cheers!

My apologies for any offense - none was intended. I never denied that others experienced problems and I hope they are fixed soon. I will leave you to your discussion.
Jeremy Cubert

I want to say this about Hydrasynth:
It is ridiculously good in so many ways. I am simply floored by it.
I wanted to upgrade my Modor NF-1m to something with a more tactile and immidiate interface so I ordered an Argon8m after seeing a lot of demos. But man, that thing was just suuuuuper disappointing. And so I swapped to Hydrasynth desktop, (had been hesitant due to size and weight). And I could not have been happier. No competition whatsoever with the Argon8.
And it pairs very well with Linnstrument. The mod-matrix really lets you dial in the exact control you want.

LarsDaniel wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:13 am I want to say this about Hydrasynth:
I wanted to upgrade my Modor NF-1m to something with a more tactile and immidiate interface so I ordered an Argon8m after seeing a lot of demos. But man, that thing was just suuuuuper disappointing. And so I swapped to Hydrasynth desktop, (had been hesitant due to size and weight). And I could not have been happier. No competition whatsoever with the Argon8.
And it pairs very well with Linnstrument. The mod-matrix really lets you dial in the exact control you want.
Good to hear, I'm thinking about the same upgrade... missing the nf1m at all?

t-IB wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:30 pm
LarsDaniel wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:13 am I want to say this about Hydrasynth:
Good to hear, I'm thinking about the same upgrade... missing the nf1m at all?
Not missing it at all. Although the Modor does two things better:
The delay can go into wonderful feedback, as any good delay SHOULD be able to. I am so going to ask ASM to give us self-oscillation on at least one of the delays.
And second: The Modor vocal filter sounds better. But that is off course a subjective matter.

Thanks for the info.

The nf1 is a pretty different sounding synth though, the HS has more going for it in general I think.

I still have my nf1 sitting here after getting the HS I'm not sure I would get rid of it.

Still waiting for both to have the MPE bugs ironed out though :(

Return to “Roger Linn Design”