Algonaut Atlas 2 finally announced. New buyers get 2 for free, 19$ upgrade for others.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atlas Atlas 2

How so?
nanostream wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:11 am Live 12 makes Atlas obsolete for a good chunk of the market. They’ll have to up their game to stay relevant.

perpetual3 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:33 pm How so?
nanostream wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:11 am Live 12 makes Atlas obsolete for a good chunk of the market. They’ll have to up their game to stay relevant.
Almost everything Atlas can do is built into Live 12, and then some. I didn’t feel the need to open Atlas since I’ve installed the beta and, apart from this thread, never looked back.

nanostream wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:13 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:33 pm How so?
Almost everything Atlas can do is built into Live 12, and then some. I didn’t feel the need to open Atlas since I’ve installed the beta and, apart from this thread, never looked back.
Seriously, you're clueless about Atlas and what it brings to the table. What you are posting sounds like you've only treated it as some basic drum machine for playback.

It looks like Ableton Live 12 brings similarity search. But does it also bring a visual browser and actually do sample categorization?

For sure, it reads like they already do some AI / and sample analytics to provide this feature.
It's very nice to have this inbuilt into a DAW for sure.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

enCiphered wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:18 pm Seriously, you're clueless about Atlas and what it brings to the table. What you are posting sounds like you've only treated it as some basic drum machine for playback.
Honest question, what does Atlas bring to the table that’s genuinely unique and useful? I’ve never really used the map, for example. It’s a good idea and looks pretty, but I’ve found it to be quicker by just randomly generating new kits, locking pads with sounds I like until I have everything I need. I can do the exact same thing in Live now.

I’ll maybe miss the ability to create custom maps, but other than that? Live‘s sequencer and sampler are far better, so, what’s left?

nanostream wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:13 pm
enCiphered wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:18 pm Seriously, you're clueless about Atlas and what it brings to the table. What you are posting sounds like you've only treated it as some basic drum machine for playback.
Honest question, what does Atlas bring to the table that’s genuinely unique and useful? I’ve never really used the map, for example. It’s a good idea and looks pretty, but I’ve found it to be quicker by just randomly generating new kits, locking pads with sounds I like until I have everything I need. I can do the exact same thing in Live now.

I’ll maybe miss the ability to create custom maps, but other than that? Live‘s sequencer and sampler are far better, so, what’s left?
Yes, the map. It was first and then XO. If you don’t use the maps I don’t understand why you’d use the software.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:35 pm
nanostream wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:13 pm

Yes, the map. It was first and then XO. If you don’t use the maps I don’t understand why you’d use the software.
i've switched from the map to the list; works better for me. and i don't use the sequencer... but, hands down, my fave drum plugin (and i've owned way too many...)

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:35 pm Yes, the map. It was first and then XO. If you don’t use the maps I don’t understand why you’d use the software.
How are you using maps exactly, if I may ask? Do you mean separate maps, so you can quickly generate kits for a hip hop track, for a house track or whatever? Or are you using maps to actually find, select and load samples?

Maybe I’ve missed something, but I’ve never found the latter particularly effective. Separate maps are far more useful to me, but not essential, I think — I simply don’t have that many samples (I don’t like) on my drive. This means I can quickly generate a great kit in Live 12 without having to open a third party plugin first, and everything is integrated and ready to go.

Thats hard to beat, imho, and so far my needs are all met by Live 12. But then again, I don’t have hundreds of gigabytes worth of snares on my drive, so I’ll probably survive without custom maps. But I’m still testing, so who knows.

Looking forward to what's next for Atlas. And find comparisons to Live plugins irrelevant.

For me,
1. I don't like Live.
2. I don't like using stock plugins, even if they're good, but especially the ones in Live since they don't sound good to me anyway.
3. I now prefer to use plugins that run on all three OSs. (Having a Linux native has become very important.)

If Live is what you like, then that's fine. And it's nice that Atlas has made them "up their game" since competition drives improvement. We can hope that Algonaut is inspired by it to add new features.

What do others feel is needed in Atlas?
Hoping this thread isn't derailed by Live (or other) brownie point schilling.

Live 12 and Triaz native both provide some great competition for ATLAS (as ATLAS did for XO) so time will tell how it drives development - XO just doesn't seem to update (developing new stuff I guess) and I am pretty sure ATLAS 2 is being updates as fast as the developer can (irrespective of the competition).

I do think all DAWS will end up following Lives lead (I bet Bitwig next ;-)), so once find similar sounds/mapping etc is native, the drum machine/sequencer elements of ATLAS etc will need to compete with the lies of the new boys like Triaz.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Curious if anyone is using Atlas with other plugs such as Axon?
https://www.audiodamage.com/collections ... 042-axon-2

BBFG# wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:52 pm What do others feel is needed in Atlas?
I think the sequencer is too basic and could use some love. Probability, „modulo“ like 1:4, 2:8 etc, different lengths and speed for each lane, triplets and so on. Lots of low hanging fruit. But I’m not sure if it’s worth the investment as almost any DAW will be better anyway.

Other than that I think the GUI overall is kinda clunky and unpolished.

Triaz is a good example of what can be done with a sample based drum machine, great for making new sounds with the samples (blending 3 samples to make one drum sound with XY modulation, envelopes, filters, fx etc) and a very advanced 32 step multi pattern sequencer with modulation lanes etc.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:27 pm
Triaz is a good example of what can be done with a sample based drum machine, great for making new sounds with the samples (blending 3 samples to make one drum sound with XY modulation, envelopes, filters, fx etc) and a very advanced 32 step multi pattern sequencer with modulation lanes etc.
Yes, I'm watching this one as well. No native Linux keeps me from it for now.

I love Atlas, but keen to demo Triaz.

Return to “Instruments”