What do you make music for? 🎹 🎶 🎸

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

What do you make music for?

1. To become a star and be rich and famous.
4%
2. To at least become known about it.
7%
3. Actually only for myself, but becoming known and famous would also make me happy.
20%
4. Actually only for myself, but I would like to be able to make a living from it financially.
28%
5. Just for myself. Notoriety means nothing to me.
41%

Total votes: 75

RELATED
PRODUCTS

lars ulrich,
didn't you say tennis was your first love?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

machinesworking wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:36 am

I think there are worse identities to have, I would rather hang out with the guy who smokes too much weed and noodles on a modular or in Max/MSP than someone who has masculinity issues, a jacked up pickup truck, MAGAtt and NRA bumber stickers and reminisces about bar fights from days gone by.
im usually at home in the evening if you want to drop in.

i want to
but are you easily shocked by dwarfs?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

machinesworking wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:36 am I don't know if you meant it like this, but to a degree I think you have a point, if your point is that music production is a pattern that soothes some perceived need, like a drug that once was effective it might not even mask that "need" anymore, but the idea of it doing so still exists.
More in general in that if anyone feels they "have to" do anything it's because they're repelling a fear regatdless of the level of fear.
So if I "have to" watch a football game it's because I'm afraid of missing out. That may sound obnoxious but fear has various degrees with the lowest levels seeming to be non fear based due to it's much lesser impact (vs. One feeling they have to climb up a tree for fear of getting eaten by a lion that's chasing them).
Using your point, yeah, if someone - for example - feels they "have to" drink it's because they are afraid of experiencing the pain of sobriety regardless if the alcohol level fails to repel the sobriety at a level it once did (time to up the percentage right?).
This is where Ignoramce is Bliss comes in. Sobriety was fine until one experiences cloud 9. All of a sudden Sobriety becomes a hell we wish to repel.

I think there are worse identities to have, I would rather hang out with the guy who smokes too much weed and noodles on a modular or in Max/MSP than someone who has masculinity issues, a jacked up pickup truck, MAGAtt and NRA bumber stickers and reminisces about bar fights from days gone by.
That all depends for me. If i want to go off roading at midnight with JD in my system (obvsly away from civilization so i end up only hurting myself), then the latter would more than likely be the one to hang with regardless if he's not sure whether he likes fish or sausage for breakfast (so long as he respects I like fish for breakfast lunch and dinner so no staring at my ass).
It's a drug to finish a song you wrote you actually like, and to play it well in front of an appreciative audience is in some ways better than sex. I don't think that has to be attached to ego or rejection of ego.
On a much bigger scale, Noel Gallagher said it best:
"You're just going to have to believe me when I tell you there's no feeling that can compare to having a stadium full of people responding to you."
Not verbatim but close enough.

VOODOO U wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:58 amI don't have to eat. But I do it because I'm afraid to face the consequences if I don't.
That's a very strange thing to say. I eat because I love eating. In fact, I reckon most of my self-discipline goes into not eating more than I should.
cptgone wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:38 am You are valuable.
You simply are.
Everyone is.
Just by existing.
Why does that matter? Why do you need to feel that you have value? We are all worthless, I'd have thought that was blindingly obvious. As individuals, we have no more worth than the skin cells that slough off your dermis in the shower. It's true of every single one of us. e.g. The Queen of England died last year and it made not one blind bit of difference to anything. Trump out, Biden in - no difference. The universe rolls on, oblivious to it all.
VOODOO U wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:11 pmMore in general in that if anyone feels they "have to" do anything it's because they're repelling a fear regatdless of the level of fear.
Utter rubbish. My OCD compels me to hang my washing on the line in very definite patterns. It's not a compulsion born of fear, but of a baseless desire for order.
So if I "have to" watch a football game it's because I'm afraid of missing out.
Or perhaps you have put a bet on it, so you have to watch it to see if you win? Or perhaps a friend of yours is playing and you have to watch it to support your friend? You might rather be doing something else but, because you're not a psychopath, you want to support your friend, because that's what friends do. All my social interactions are of this type - in any given situation, I would rather be by myself but that would be to completely ignore other people's feelings, which would be selfish. So out of a sense of obligation to others, I feel compelled to spend time with other people when I'd rather be on my own. It's not driven by fear but by compassion and empathy.
Using your point, yeah, if someone - for example - feels they "have to" drink it's because they are afraid of experiencing the pain of sobriety regardless if the alcohol level fails to repel the sobriety at a level it once did (time to up the percentage right?).
I don't think that's how addictive personalities work at all.
"You're just going to have to believe me when I tell you there's no feeling that can compare to having a stadium full of people responding to you."
That's a very self-centred view. For me it wouldn't be about responding to me but responding to what I/we have created. i.e. I would get the same kick out of seeing those people respond to a DJ playing my song as I would from performing it myself.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

i think i might be a psychopath :o
i have never felt the need to watch a friend do sport stuff. it holds no interest to me, so why would i? ill see them when they're doing something we both enjoy. :shrug:
i wouldn't expect them to come to something i was doing unless they would enjoy the experience either.

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:12 am
cptgone wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:38 am You are valuable.
You simply are.
Everyone is.
Just by existing.
Why does that matter? Why do you need to feel that you have value? We are all worthless, I'd have thought that was blindingly obvious. As individuals, we have no more worth than the skin cells that slough off your dermis in the shower. It's true of every single one of us. e.g. The Queen of England died last year and it made not one blind bit of difference to anything. Trump out, Biden in - no difference. The universe rolls on, oblivious to it all.
Value being a human concept, it means as little as music does, looking at it from an 'objective' viewpoint (AKA death).

But that doesn't matter to me, cause I'm human. And alive.

I value, I care, and what can a man care more for than other living beings?

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:12 am That's a very strange thing to say. I eat because I love eating. In fact, I reckon most of my self-discipline goes into not eating more than I should.
I prefer the liquid diet of Vampires. Anyhow, yes you love to eat because of all the delicious chemicals that makes eating fun plus there's no hunting involved etc etc but that's icing on the cake. You eat because if you don't, that equals punishment. Fear of suffering hunger.
We are all worthless, I'd have thought that was blindingly obvious.
A battery that fails to work is worthless. A battery that works has it's uses. Once the battery depletes, you move on to the next useful battery.
The Queen of England died last year and it made not one blind bit of difference to anything
It made a huge financial difference to the funeral home that sold the coffin.
Trump out, Biden in - no difference.
Research history and you will find that whenever a Republican president was in the White House, some sht always hit the fan.
Nixon - watetgate scandal
Reagan - Cold war threat and the Iran Contra affair
George Bush - Gulf War
George w. Bush - 911
Trump - build a wall on the border of Mexico and Covid. Yes the latter is a worldwide affair but it happened during a Republican run. Its all the Republicans fault.
Bill Clinton (democrat) - play saxophone, jog and have fun with interns. See the difference?
Utter rubbish
Great band name.
My OCD compels me to hang my washing on the line in very definite patterns. It's not a compulsion born of fear, but of a baseless desire for order.
And you would suffer to some degree if there was no order which understandably you wouldn't want to experience (fear at a particular level), therefore, you "have to" make the definite patterns.
Or perhaps you have put a bet on it, so you have to watch it to see if you win?
Of course! I "have to" watch because otherwise I'll get antsy. Fear of feeling antsy.
So out of a sense of obligation to others, I feel compelled to spend time with other people when I'd rather be on my own. It's not driven by fear but by compassion and empathy
For every Yang there's it's equivalent Yin. You feel compelled because otherwise you would suffer the guilt of not supporting a friend. You "have to" go to the game otherwise that demonic guilt will nag. Fear of feeling guilt.
I don't think that's how addictive personalities work at all
Ok. Bravo.
That's a very self-centred view. For me it wouldn't be about responding to me but responding to what I/we have created. i.e. I would get the same kick out of seeing those people respond to a DJ playing my song as I would from performing it myself.
He didn't say it in a cocky way as if it were about him. What do you suppose the people are responding to at an Oasis show if not the music Noel has written? If he asks a stadium full of fans to clap their hands and they follow suit it's not because he can bake delicious cookies.

cptgone wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:50 amBut that doesn't matter to me, cause I'm human. And alive.
But if you were a grain of sand on the beach, you'd be no less valuable to the universe.
VOODOO U wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:55 amthere's no hunting involved etc etc but that's icing on the cake. You eat because if you don't, that equals punishment. Fear of suffering hunger.
That is absurd. I have no idea what it feels like to be hungry, why would I be afraid of it?
We are all worthless, I'd have thought that was blindingly obvious.
A battery that fails to work is worthless. A battery that works has it's uses.[/quote]
Not to the universe. It's easy to convince yourself that some things matter when you deliberately keep your frame of reference small enough that you can convince yourself that you matter. That doesn't make it true.
It made a huge financial difference to the funeral home that sold the coffin.
See, even you can't take it seriously.
Research history and you will find that whenever a Republican president was in the White House, some sht always hit the fan.
Has it ever knocked planet off it's course or caused a supernova? No, the universe doesn't notice.
Nixon - watetgate scandal
Kicking an anthill has a far greater effect on a colony of ants. Still, the universe neither notices nor cares.
Reagan - Cold war threat and the Iran Contra affair
Utterly meaningless to anyone who lives where I live, much less beyond our insignificant ball of shite.
And you would suffer to some degree if there was no order which understandably you wouldn't want to experience (fear at a particular level), therefore, you "have to" make the definite patterns.
Complete supposition on your part, easily disproved. This is the settee where I sit when I'm not in front of the computer (taken from in front f the computer).
IMG_20240101_210446383.jpg
It's an absolute shitfight, I just chuck stuff on there and I couldn't care less. Somewhere in there are my two previous laptops, a Modal Craft Synth 2 and a MInimonsta.
Or perhaps you have put a bet on it, so you have to watch it to see if you win?
Of course! I "have to" watch because otherwise I'll get antsy.[/quote]
I'm starting to think you don't really understand what fear is. FOMO, for example, isn't really a fear of missing out, it's more an irrational desire to know stuff. A lot of things may have evolved as a response to fear but have long ago outgrown those motivations.
You feel compelled because otherwise you would suffer the guilt of not supporting a friend.
More unsupported supposition, I don't do guilt, I'm not wired for it.
I don't think that's how addictive personalities work at all
Ok. Bravo.
He didn't say it in a cocky way as if it were about him.
If that's true it would be the only not cocky thing he's ever said in his life.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:34 am That is absurd. I have no idea what it feels like to be hungry, why would I be afraid of it?
You have no idea what it's like to be hungry? Then why do you eat?
Not to the universe. It's easy to convince yourself that some things matter when you deliberately keep your frame of reference small enough that you can convince yourself that you matter. That doesn't make it true.
Stop speaking for the universe. You don't matter (as you say) so what makes you even fathom the ridiculous idea that something that's not even a microcosmic spit can speak for the macrocosm all in all that is the universe?
Also avoid confusing "nothing matters" with nothing being sacred.
Something as insignificant as a bearing can stop a whole vehicle from moving. The bearing matters, but it's not sacred. Nothing is sacred.
Has it ever knocked planet off it's course or caused a supernova?
I was just discussing democrat vs republican as a side note regardless of the macrocosmic CEO. Sheesh.

Kicking an anthill has a far greater effect on a colony of ants. Still, the universe neither notices nor cares.
I didn't know the universe speaks English.
Utterly meaningless to anyone who lives where I live, much less beyond our insignificant ball of shite.
What's beyond Earth ground could very well be the source that's designed social civilizations. With that in mind, the Iran Contra affair could have been an awesome TV show for those powers that be.
This is the settee where I sit when I'm not in front of the computer (taken from in front f the computer).
IMG_20240101_210446383.jpg
It's an absolute shitfight, I just chuck stuff on there and I couldn't care less. Somewhere in there are my two previous laptops, a Modal Craft Synth 2 and a MInimonsta.
Yes but you still need ro make patterns for the washing on the line.
FOMO, for example, isn't really a fear of missing out, it's more an irrational desire to know stuff.
It's all part of survival at various intensities. There's no reason to desire anything other than for one's survival from innovations for immortality to seemingly insignificant situations like winning bets.
A lot of things may have evolved as a response to fear but have long ago outgrown those motivations.
As long as there's the will to survive, fear will serve as the driving force.
I don't do guilt, I'm not wired for it.
Everybody is wired for guilt and shame. Its for equilibrium.

If that's true it would be the only not cocky thing he's ever said in his life.
You not an Oasis fan so you don't know.

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:34 am
cptgone wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:50 amBut that doesn't matter to me, cause I'm human. And alive.
But if you were a grain of sand on the beach, you'd be no less valuable to the universe.
The universe is indifferent (as far as we know).
It's also an abstract concept, created by humans (cause we love to categorize, pattern recognition being our thing).

- Animals have empathy, people search/project meaning (cause we are obsessed with control, driven by fear).
- Rocks and gasses don't care, they just are (as far as we know).

No, the Universe exists, we can see it and feel it. Nothing about it is abstract in the slightest. Pattern recognition is a simple survival trait, which we have put to other uses since survival became largely a non-issue for us, as individuals and as a species.

You seem to be missing my point entirely, no sense in further arguing my case then (I'd just like to add I never denied the existence of the things our "universe" concept refers to - although on a philosophical level, we cannot be sure about its ontological status).

enroe wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:50 am
----> What do you actually make music for? 🎹 🎶 🎸

Used to be around £300 an hour or more.
Don't know what the going rate for shows is these days :shrug:

cryophonik wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:11 am ... I really don’t want to dedicate the time and effort to all the self-promotion that it takes to get your name and music out there. That takes away time and energy that could be spent on making music (that nobody hears because I don’t promote it enough :hihi: )
Yes - I understand that well.

But couldn't you also have a "two-step plan": First I do all the promo camera stuff.
And then once I've achieved a certain level of fame, THEN I only make the music
that I like, and then when it's released I have a really big audience? :?:

Mmm, never thought about it? .... Of course, it could be that step 1 is too
extensive - or never ends ... :hihi:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”