New Cakewalk Next and Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheMaestro wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:47 pm
jens wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:29 pm How did you take a look at it when not even the new features have been announced yet? :?
As for most serious software. Beta versions exist.

Thanks but I'll. Wait for a. Reply from someone who. Actually knows. :hihi:
(i.e. Jon himself, which is who I actually adressed with my question ;-))

But nice guess anyway - even if most probably totally wrong (for obvious reasons) :tu:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:55 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:47 pm
jens wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:29 pm How did you take a look at it when not even the new features have been announced yet? :?
As for most serious software. Beta versions exist.

Thanks but I'll. Wait for a. Reply from someone who. Actually knows. :hihi:
(i.e. Jon himself, which is who I actually adressed with my question ;-))

But nice guess anyway - even if most probably totally wrong (for obvious reasons) :tu:
Not sure what your point is.
You argued to him like no one can be a beta tester.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

I asked a question - I would explain the difference to you, but from what I've seen from you so far I really doubt that you'd understand it... :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

The Next manual mentions a sampler and lyrics. :tu:
It also states that anything in it could be changed so we can still not be sure if those things turn up in the final public release.
If they also turn up in Sonar we'll see. One popular feature request is a sampler, and hopefully this one is good.
I haven't used lyrics but i think it looks to be more advanced than what's already there in CbB.
:clap:

I think if the price is right, and it's not a subscription as most know subscription, you'd have to give it a shot, at least I would, may be same old same old, may be the ducks nuts. I also don't mind the monthly payment thing where once you have paid 12 months consecutive you own what ever version it's up to at the time. You can then stop paying if you like, and start again in the future if you want to update or like some feature that gets added, go another 12 consecutive months then stop again and keep what the latest version is at that time. It's not to bad, probably noy a lot of difference to paying up front, and then having to pay again later, 1 year or whatever it may be.

Come to think of it, the monthly thing might be just what the doctor ordered, give it a month or 2 or 3, if it doesn't work out just stop paying, done, if it works out reassess things then. It all depends on what they offer, it's all just guessing now, although it does sound like they may go that way as one option.

A lot of unknown, and how long until release? I wish they had it so they announced it this week and it was out next week. I hope they both come out at the same time, they mentioned there will be a bundle, that's what I'll go for.

Waiting is the pits
Say NO to CLAP!

It seems there is a new Final version out now. You must update to it or be lost, all other previous versions will no longer activate.
We're pleased to announce the 2023.09 release! This release is primarily a maintenance release and includes over 60 bug fixes for user reported issues.

Please note:

Version 2023.09 will likely be the last update to Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB). CbB will eventually be discontinued as future development and support will transition to the upcoming Cakewalk Sonar release.
All Cakewalk products require activation. Changes to the activation server require that all earlier versions of Cakewalk by BandLab must be updated to version 2023.09 in order to activate successfully. If you wish to continue to use CbB, you must update to the 2023.09 version. Earlier versions will cease to activate in the future.
In order to activate CbB, you must sign in to your BandLab account (Help > Sign In to BandLab).
Version 2023.09 currently does not support offline activation, so your computer must be online to activate it. Offline activation will be available soon.
In order to automatically keep your activation status up to date, Cakewalk will renew your activation status whenever a new version of the application is installed and run for the first time, and when you sign in to BandLab from within Cakewalk. If you have never signed in to BandLab from within Cakewalk, you will be prompted once to sign in.

Thanks,
The Bakers

To download and install the 2023.09 update, select Help > Check for Updates from within the app.

Note: Because earlier versions of Cakewalk can no longer be activated, there is no rollback installer available for the 2023.09 release.
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... se-202309/
Say NO to CLAP!

Nice - it's strictly a maintenance release and going by the exoticness of many of the listed bugs it looks like they really did their best to squash every itty-bitty issue people reported.
So it should be an extremely stable (and feature-rich) release people can keep using for many years to come if they want to.

That's praise-worthy I think.

lotus2035 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:43 pm
JoseC. wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:04 pm That looks like pilot error. You must set the loops to sync selecting them and hitting CTL + L. If well cut they will sync perfectly. As with all DAWs, if it contains an odd number of beats, you will need to use the loop editor to tell the DAW and make it sync.

As a rule of thumb, if you are trying a well established DAW for the first time, and you find it lacking something basic, most probably what's wrong is you.
If loops are playing in sync with project tempo in one session and then playing out of sync in another without any settings being changed then that is most defintely a bug.
That functionality has existed for years. If that bug actually existed, the user forums would be in flames. I stand by what I said.

jens wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:30 pm I asked a question - I would explain the difference to you, but from what I've seen from you so far I really doubt that you'd understand it... :shrug:
You're just agrumentative and gets called out. You have nothing to explain.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

lol...

Do we know if the last release of CWbBL will still need to be authorized periodically through our account?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

At this stage yes it will.
Say NO to CLAP!

I don't mind the need to authorize it once in awhile but then that doesn't bode well for it working "forever". At some point they can stop the ability to authorize just as they stopped development on CWbBL.

If no one is buying the new Next and Sonar and are just sticking with CW then Bandlab may be incentivized to stop authorizations.

Oh well I don't really use it because of the lack of a clear future but it is nice to have around just for testing plugins. But if it's no longer supported then I suppose plugin developers don't really have an obligation to support it either.

I guess at this point it would be best to just put in in the abandonware category and move on.... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:00 pm If no one is buying the new Next and Sonar and are just sticking with CW then Bandlab may be incentivized to stop authorizations.
careful, I mentioned they were discussing this very thing over at the Cakewalk Forums and was set upon. :box: :D
Say NO to CLAP!

Teksonik wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:00 pm I don't mind the need to authorize it once in awhile but then that doesn't bode well for it working "forever". At some point they can stop the ability to authorize just as they stopped development on CWbBL.
It will happen. They didn't state a time frame, but, at some point, you won't be able to authorize CbB anymore.

While I understand that, it would be a bit unsafe for me to start using CbB now, if the authorization won't be possible one day.

I would be surprised if the majority which uses CbB now wouldn't go for a Sonar license, once it's released.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”