Elektron Analog Heat, thoughts, alternatives...Heat +FX!!!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cryophonik wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:28 pm
DrGonzo wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:42 am Anyone here managed to get their hands on the FX yet?
I just found a deal on a practically new one, so I’ll have my dirty little hands all over it later this week! :wheee:

I’ve been using my mk2 on just about everything since I got it - drum machines, synths, mastering via OB in Logic, etc. It’s become my favorite soundgooderizer, so I just might keep it and have both versions to run simultaneously.
We are in sync! I couldn't keep my hands away from it and it should be arriving any day now.

/C
BROKEN TECHNO for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:11 am
cryophonik wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:28 pm
DrGonzo wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:42 am Anyone here managed to get their hands on the FX yet?
I just found a deal on a practically new one, so I’ll have my dirty little hands all over it later this week! :wheee:

I’ve been using my mk2 on just about everything since I got it - drum machines, synths, mastering via OB in Logic, etc. It’s become my favorite soundgooderizer, so I just might keep it and have both versions to run simultaneously.
We are in sync! I couldn't keep my hands away from it and it should be arriving any day now.

/C
Nice! Can't wait to compare our thoughts on it. Almost every time I use my mk2 I find myself wishing that it had a bit crusher or sample reduction, or delay, or reverb, etc. It's already such a versatile box, and the effects are going to take it to another level. I'm also pretty interested to see what improvements/additions Elektron adds to the +FX down the road. Adding the DSP effects opens the door to far more firmware improvements, possibly more effects modules, additional reverb algorithms, etc.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:13 pm Adding the DSP effects opens the door to far more firmware improvements, possibly more effects modules, additional reverb algorithms, etc.
Didn't even enter my mind that they could do something like that. New reverb algos... wow! That would be absolutely fantastic and not outside the realms of possibilities.
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Mine arrived today. I shouldn’t go on public record to say this, but I’m pretty sure that what it’s currently doing to my Digitakt is probably illegal in most southeastern states and possibly violates the Geneva Convention.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:12 am Mine arrived today. I shouldn’t go on public record to say this, but I’m pretty sure that what it’s currently doing to my Digitakt is probably illegal in most southeastern states and possibly violates the Geneva Convention.
Stop teasing! Damn. Mine got stuck in some weedy warehouse in the Netherlands for a week before it started to move. Pairing this with the Digitakt feels like nirvana.

Ugh, that sucks! Hope you get it soon!

cryophonik wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:12 am Mine arrived today. I shouldn’t go on public record to say this, but I’m pretty sure that what it’s currently doing to my Digitakt is probably illegal in most southeastern states and possibly violates the Geneva Convention.
Ugh, I wrote this off ages ago not realizing they added an FX version. Is it still worth it? I'm already thinking about getting a Syntakt, and now this...
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:38 pm
Ugh, I wrote this off ages ago not realizing they added an FX version. Is it still worth it? I'm already thinking about getting a Syntakt, and now this...
Whether or not it’s worth it is pretty hard to justify for the Heat+FX, tbh. It’s an amazing unit,…. with a premium price tag. For the longest time, I thought the Heats were ridiculously overpriced, but once I found a great deal on the mk2, I realized what a great distortion/filter box it is. But, I really wished that it had built-in effects. Elektron then announced the +FX version literally within weeks after I bought my mk2, so the upgrade was a no-brainer for me. The only thing that I still wish it had was Elektron’s trademark step sequencer for all-out glitched effecty-ness! Bottom line for me is that I’m well beyond the honeymoon stage and my Heat+FX isn’t going anywhere. :love:

cryophonik wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:41 pm Whether or not it’s worth it is pretty hard to justify for the Heat+FX, tbh. It’s an amazing unit,…. with a premium price tag. For the longest time, I thought the Heats were ridiculously overpriced, but once I found a great deal on the mk2, I realized what a great distortion/filter box it is. But, I really wished that it had built-in effects. Elektron then announced the +FX version literally within weeks after I bought my mk2, so the upgrade was a no-brainer for me. The only thing that I still wish it had was Elektron’s trademark step sequencer for all-out glitched effecty-ness! Bottom line for me is that I’m well beyond the honeymoon stage and my Heat+FX isn’t going anywhere. :love:
Yeah, the price is the stumbling block because all Elektron boxes are just so attractive. I'm going to have to think hard on my setup now.

egbert101 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:56 pm ... because all Elektron boxes are just so attractive.
Ugh, tell me about it. I sold my Analog Four mk2 a few months ago and now I find myself wanting one again. Oh well, I guess it's better (and cheaper) than being addicted to crack, right? :hihi:

Just a question, but is it possible to send audio over USB into the effects and then route the output back through the USB? If you can get what I'm trying to say, using it like an external effects over USB? Maybe latency would screw that idea up.

egbert101 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:19 pm Just a question, but is it possible to send audio over USB into the effects and then route the output back through the USB? If you can get what I'm trying to say, using it like an external effects over USB? Maybe latency would screw that idea up.
Yes, you can, assuming that you’re talking about sending audio from a DAW track or bus into the Heat via USB. That’s exactly how Overbridge works with Analog Heat…

https://youtu.be/VjssWyb5hTw?si=k-ffoMcOpZ7OU_xt

cryophonik wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:34 pm
Yes, you can, assuming that you’re talking about sending audio from a DAW track or bus into the Heat via USB. That’s exactly how Overbridge works with Analog Heat…

https://youtu.be/VjssWyb5hTw?si=k-ffoMcOpZ7OU_xt
Thanks for clearing that up. That's kinda excellent. I'm going to try and see if my Analog Four can also do it.

Does anybody know how AH+FX handle the AD/DA of effects?

The flow can be set any way you like, and Heat part anywhere and one wonders how that going in and out of analog domain works.

I watched this and read some on home page but not really saying. Some effects may be analog since it exist for guitar stomp boxes, but hardly reverb.

Here from Superbooth may 2023
https://youtu.be/t6vs48NK60k

lfm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:49 pm Does anybody know how AH+FX handle the AD/DA of effects?
Good point. It must be some clever way to get everything in sync and without so many conversions.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”