Softube Model 80 Five Voice Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This synth emulates Repro 5's prophet 5 emulation very well minus some features. Sound is very similar, basicly indistinguishible.

Lbdunequest wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:11 pm This synth emulates Repro 5's prophet 5 emulation very well minus some features. Sound is very similar, basicly indistinguishible.
It's a Reproduction 8)

beely wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:31 am What is it about Softube and dirty keyboards? I know they want a vintage vibe, but on their Juno they had keys that looked like they were nicotine-stained (always attractive!), and these ones look like they are covered in finger grease...

I don't have a problem with a bit of patina, but they don't have to make them look gross... vintage synths can be externally cleaned just as easily as new ones.
This is why I want them to make a 303. There’s no other hardware synth that truly deserves to look halfway destroyed, except maybe a DX7 engulfed in very realistic flames.
I hate signatures too.

beely wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:31 am What is it about Softube and dirty keyboards?
it sounds more analog
aliasing plugin owner
:?

U-He sounds a lot closer to the Softube version relative to Arturia.

I'm really liking the Softube version. Do I like it enough to not wait for a sale.

It´s the first VST-emulation of a Prophet synthesizer that has got close enough to the original sound to give me some actual gratifying chills down my spine, the way I get it when I hear certain sounds from the real Prophet hardware, and I´ve owned a real Prophet 10 rev 4.

Amazing job Softube! :clap:

Instant purchase.

Oberheim and CS80 next!! :party:

For me softube emulations are just marginally better compared to the competition .
Their 101 against tal bassline , and now the pro 5 against repro .,softube minimoog versus -legend etc… but it also consumes twice as much cpu and the hassle of ilok .
The minimum improvement in analogue modelling does not justify it , I prefer hassle free ilokless installation and moderate cpu use
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

cyberheater wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:11 pm Do I like it enough to not wait for a sale.
Well, it's on sale now, so...
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:31 pm For me softube emulations are just marginally better compared to the competition .
Their 101 against tal bassline , and now the pro 5 against repro .,softube minimoog versus -legend etc… but it also consumes twice as much cpu and the hassle of ilok .
The minimum improvement in analogue modelling does not justify it , I prefer hassle free ilokless installation and moderate cpu use
Not to mention more than 5 notes at once!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

One thing i actually like more about this version of Prophet is the GUI and how things are marked.

sQeetz wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:24 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:19 pm
sQeetz wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:10 pm FFS! I thought my shopping spree was over and now this...
Just out of interest, why would you buy this over (or as well!) as Repro?
Mainly because of the modules for Modular.
I find the Softube’s synth derived modules for Modular a bit disappointing. Minor variations in flavours and limited inputs for modulation. They had some sort of deal Intellijel and Doepfer early on. Wish they would do more of those.

I wonder if the choice of the Prophet is the result of their survey. It was at the beginning of the year so certainly not.
Anyway next model should be Jupiter 8 then.

hebex wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:16 pm It´s the first VST-emulation of a Prophet synthesizer that has got close enough to the original sound to give me some actual gratifying chills down my spine, the way I get it when I hear certain sounds from the real Prophet hardware, and I´ve owned a real Prophet 10 rev 4.

Amazing job Softube! :clap:

Instant purchase.

Oberheim and CS80 next!! :party:
I feel exactly the same. Never thought i'd see the day!

Ok, on first listen, my reaction is: this is really quite good, but it's still a worse plugin instrument than RePro-5. Allow me to elaborate. First, the sound of the Softube is spot on. But so is RePro. The two sound close to each other. If anything, RePro-5 may sound a little more hi-fi and maybe the Softube has a touch more character to the sound. But nothing of major note. You can easily dial them in very closely. So kudos to Softube AND U-he on that.

But...RePro-5 kills it in every other way IMO:

1. Better GUI
2. More voices
3. Has effects
4. Has per voice distortion
5. Has some additional filter, osc options on the Tweaks page
6. Way better browser
7. Better presets
8. Two mod matrix slots
9. You get a WHOLE OTHER SYNTH (RePro-1)

Softube has the advantage of adding the Modular options and is also the cheaper option right now with the intro price (if you ignore RePro-1). But otherwise, if I were looking for a Prophet emulation, I wouldn't buy this over RePro-5 unless I were a hardcore Softube Modular user. But that's not a knock on Softube. They did a great job. U-he just does instruments very well and focuses on that (e.g. browser experience, FX, etc.).

SebAV wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:14 pm I wonder if the choice of the Prophet is the result of their survey. It was at the beginning of the year so certainly not.
Anyway next model should be Jupiter 8 then.
Please no, we have Roland Jupiter 8, the real deal from Roland themself.

Alesis Andromeda A6 all the way

Return to “Instruments”