Products that complicate your workflow

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DrGonzo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:15 am
Moe Shinola wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:07 am My MIDI setup is Korg SQ64 going into my Volca Sample for drums on track D, then bass on track C(Volca Bass or Crave), then whatever melodic tracks I want on A and B. I have a 5-way DC adapter for my Volcas, but it adds way too much hiss(a complication) and so I just use the Volcas with batteries. I also have an Elektron Model: Samples, but the SQ64 is way better for multiple hardware instruments since I can assign each of the 8 subtracks on track D to a different MIDI channel on the Volca Sample(each sample slot is a separate channel) then have 3 melodic channels on top of that. I don't think I'd MIDI up more than one instrument to the M:S since it only has 6 tracks, so I guess it would complicate my workflow to use it as a studio brain.
That actually sounds like a really nice setup. Volcas are great for simplifying the workflow. How do you feel the Korg SQ works with the Volcas?

/C
The Volca Sample seems tailor made for track D on the SQ64. Track D has 8 sub-tracks(16, really) and since each sample slot on the Sample is it's own MIDI track you can assign each slot to it's own MIDI channel and create patterns that way. So easy. Tracks A-C are each 4-note polyphonic so there's your bass track, lead track and pad on it's own track. I'm looking forward to hooking the 64 up to the Red Sound Darkstar I just bought since it's 5-part multi-timbral, and seeing if I can use it to fill all three of those melodic tracks. One warning, though. Turn the 64 off when not using it, and unplug it if you can. I lost all the patterns I had saved on it when we had a power outage. I guess it overloaded it somehow and erased the patterns, but dosen't seem to be fried completely.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”