Is FlowStone Dead?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:59 pm If you are patient and use Live, then I think Max + RNBO may turn out to be the easiest way to generate something pretty/modern over the longer term and you can create Live instruments/effects now. This assumes that Cycling 74 will develop the ability to generate actual plugin U/Is in reasonably short order.
AFAIK, there is unfortunately no way to create a VST from Reaktor, the Grid or Mux.
I bought Mulab & Mux and love them but it could be really useful to be able to insert some code inside, in some cases.

tryphon4 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:53 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:59 pm If you are patient and use Live, then I think Max + RNBO may turn out to be the easiest way to generate something pretty/modern over the longer term and you can create Live instruments/effects now. This assumes that Cycling 74 will develop the ability to generate actual plugin U/Is in reasonably short order.
AFAIK, there is unfortunately no way to create a VST from Reaktor, the Grid or Mux.
I bought Mulab & Mux and love them but it could be really useful to be able to insert some code inside, in some cases.
No, of course not, not directly at least, but you can create instruments and effects and practice all the aspects of that process that are not explicitly coding. You can also distribute your protected ensembles, for a hefty price, if you are particularly good at it. You can distribute it for free and get feedback on your ideas as well. Whether any of this has use to you has to be up to you.

I included it in the list because I think that this part of the process is often overlooked. I still like to prototype ideas in Reaktor because it is faster, largely because there are so many building blocks either built in, or available from the user library.

Whether Reaktor is useful to you as a prototyping tool, really I mean more useful than Synthedit or Flowstone on the way to an eventual product, is a function of your own goals.

Touch The Universe wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:49 pm
Is Hise betta
Hise is not Beta, its at version 3.0 - and gets constant updates....
VST/AU Developer for Hire

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:59 pm
Touch The Universe wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:32 pm Is flowstone a no go for creating 64 bit plugins? Hise looks interesting, is it only for sampler type instruments?

What's best synth maker for creating in 64 bit these days for code newbies

HISE is probably the easiest way to bridge the gap to all formats, for some definition of easy.

Ok so this is definitely true...So, more detail: the definition of "easy" here is HISE has its own internal Reaktor-like environment and its own powerful scripting environment too, and works exactly the same way across all platforms. BUT.....apart from the pretty std learning curve with this sort of thing the not-easy thing most new users struggle with is compiling HISE to start with. So you will need a compiler(VS2xxx, XCode etc.) for each platform you want to deliver product on - and you will need to compile HISE from the open-source code provided on each platform. Why does the developer do this to you when he could just provide a compiled version on each platform for you to use? Well.... HISE uses the native compilers to build your native VST/AU/AAX products so you are going to have to learn how to set up and use a compiler in any and all cases, so you may as well learn at the outset. There's a very active support forum (see you there) where you (and many others before and after you) can get help on this (actually quite simple) process and with other development issues.

But caveat: if compiling from source code isnt something you want to do then HISE isnt probably for you - but then again neither is building native plugins...
VST/AU Developer for Hire

Lind0n wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:00 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:59 pm
Touch The Universe wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:32 pm Is flowstone a no go for creating 64 bit plugins? Hise looks interesting, is it only for sampler type instruments?

What's best synth maker for creating in 64 bit these days for code newbies

HISE is probably the easiest way to bridge the gap to all formats, for some definition of easy.

Ok so this is definitely true...So, more detail: the definition of "easy" here is HISE has its own internal Reaktor-like environment and its own powerful scripting environment too, and works exactly the same way across all platforms. BUT.....apart from the pretty std learning curve with this sort of thing the not-easy thing most new users struggle with is compiling HISE to start with. So you will need a compiler(VS2xxx, XCode etc.) for each platform you want to deliver product on - and you will need to compile HISE from the open-source code provided on each platform. Why does the developer do this to you when he could just provide a compiled version on each platform for you to use? Well.... HISE uses the native compilers to build your native VST/AU/AAX products so you are going to have to learn how to set up and use a compiler in any and all cases, so you may as well learn at the outset. There's a very active support forum (see you there) where you (and many others before and after you) can get help on this (actually quite simple) process and with other development issues.
You've captured a big chunk of the detail of my comment nicely. I will add that someone new to development should not underestimate the challenge, learning curve, and expense here. It will be endless hours trying to understand the quirks of each environment (platform+target) and decrypting convoluted error messages from different parts of the build process.

As a user of Flowstone and a discord mod, I want to give a little update at the end of the year. For quite some years now Flowstone is developed by just one man. Unfortunately, he has a day job and programs it in his spare time. it can be weeks or even months, until he's back to programming. For him, it's a passion project. He doesn't get paid. The developer is solely concentrated on the audio part. Everything regarding robotics, video, etc is status quo with no changes (I personally see it as abandoned, because only VST export is possible).
Here is an unofficial(I hope I don't get banned) list of things, the alpha version is capable of:
  • 64-bit VST2 and VST3 export
  • resizing and scaling of VSTs
  • overhauled DSP editor (many new functions)
  • overhauled ASM editor (many new opcodes)
  • deeper integration of Ruby (currently version 2.5 instead of the old 1.9.3, but can be updated easier, new folder based access to standard libraries, but still no GEM import)
  • Flowstone's GUI way faster (edit time)
  • a myriad of fixes - it's very reliable for the most part
  • lots of user convenience improvements
If you want to know, what you can do with it, have a look at Adam Szabo's Viper. It started in FS3, but for more than a year is now developed in FS4 alpha.
https://www.adamszabo.com/vstplugins/viper/
Youtube Video of a producer presenting Viper 1.2

to add to Tula's changelist bullet points, I have:-
-floating/floated windows

tulamide wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:11 am For him, it's a passion project. He doesn't get paid.
Begs the question who does get paid if you buy a copy..? I'm an old school Synthmaker user and wonder about picking it up again for old times sake but doesn't sound like a worthy investment for anyone currently.

you can join the Discord if u like Gary,
let us know
RDSP is who gets paid,
then our small dev is the distribution for users

I can put an open invite here, for those who have the soft

I've been hewing to my standard of almost releasing a plugin for a few years now, but FS is certainly not to blame; the improvements to it have been significant, in terms of stability and speed. I'm one of those "trial-and-error learners", therefore inadvertently good at uncovering bugs that arise in a "but only an idiot would try that" context, and even in the context of "The Adventures of Blunderman in DSPland", crashing and/or freezing is much, much less, and I usually understand why FS was unhappy with me- whereas with previous versions, it was usually a case of "...but you were fine with everything a second ago, why die now?"

I've tried various versions of SE, and while some seem to be happier with it, I can't get it to run properly, and doesn't offer me anything deeply necessary, in comparison to FS.

Hop on board, Gary- I've been waiting for the sequel to "bini" for ages! ;)
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

here's an invite for the Discord, community:-
https://discord.gg/XRgqbRx3

FYI - I asked (begged) the head guy at Native Instruments a couple of years ago to put out a version of Reaktor that could save as a VST. I envisioned a kind of iTunes for synths and people could put their stuff up and sell through NI. NI would have last say what would go up. It seemed like a win-win situation. His response was : We don't want to dilute the value of a core product.

I suggest that product is the locking to Reaktor player,
of which the cost is substantial to dev

I made one real nice thing in it, Fret Keys 6-type,
in user lib

I also did 2SYN R-Gen, gotta re-up,
but pure Roland GK3 MIDI guitar has been deprecated from dev/my music(playing)

Yes, I think was before the Player came out. I think it was the first version of Massive came out and they said they'd used Reaktor to build it. So somewhere in Corporate, there's a version of Reaktor that can build VST synths.

...they vastly support the Reaktor model still

I'd like synced modules,
with 6 strings, editing each one is awkward

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”