Waldorf Music at NAMM 2015: Nave for PC/Mac, Waldorf Edition 2, Attack for iOS, nw1 Eurorack module

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nave Waldorf Edition: Attack Waldorf Edition: D-Pole Waldorf Edition: PPG Wave 2.V

fmr wrote:It depends on what Nave VS/AU/AAX has to offer compared to the iPad version. AFAIK nobody told it is just a ported version.
looking at the familiar 'hairclip' blades, i know exactly what it's going to lose :wink:

masterhiggins wrote:They have frequent 30% off deals, probably twice a year.
True, that'd be more like it then. :)

MorpherX wrote:I have Waldorf Edition 1 and think that the new GUIs are ugly plastic-like, but this is of course a matter of taste.
I would be interested if there were new features and sounds to Attack and D-Pole.
I'd rather also prefer the old GUI's but just bigger and with better knob behavior. But it is quite obvious why such GUI's - old ones mimicked Waldorf's hardware that was solid metal and these new GUI's mimic Waldorf's new hardware that also feels quite plastic-y. I think they should have kept at least the GUI's of the plugins solid. :shrug: :hihi:
No signature here!

A dev really needs to laboriously compare the amount of development and customer service required between selling an IOS app and a VST/AU/AAX app. It's a piece of PR work that needs to be done.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
rod_zero wrote:So given this price, if you already had an iPad what would yo do ?
iconnectivity :tu:

iconnectivity+2 doesnt have audio outputs and I have read the audio through USB has latency. I am on windows so I can only use one device at a time with its own asio drivers, or asio4all which is not quite good for low latency.

Iconnectivity+4 Has audio outputs but i it's bigger and more expensive that the roland duocapture.
dedication to flying

BOOM. Gawd I luv Waldorf.

Numanoid wrote:Ha ha ha, good luck with that :hihi:

"Shipping: approx. 2nd quarter 2015 for 149,00 €"

Why it cost eight times more than the iOS version, oh yeah I forgot, it's a totally different market :P
The Nave plugin is re-programmed from scratch, there is no option to automatically convert the code from the iOS version to OSX for Mac or Windows for PC.
One reason for doing an iOS plugin first could be to earn some money to later invest into the development for PC/MAc plugins.
I am sure there are also other reasons why the plugin will be more expensive but i do not really want to discuss this before official release.

For me the question is: Why are iOS synths that cheap, especially Nave?

BTW i do no have an iPad, iPhone (i got a Samsung S3 Mini with Android) and no Eurorack modular system so i could not test the new iOS App (same for the Nave App) or the new nw1 Eurorack module.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: For me the question is: Why are iOS synths that cheap, especially Nave?
As Numanoid said, it's another market. You can expect a lot more sales on the iPad/iPhone, due to the nature of the "playing around with" instinct with touch devices. Also, if it's just 14.95 or 19.95 (not sure how much the Nave app costs), why bother? Easily spent money. Due to the nature of VST plugin, and the DAW market, things will get more complex, and difficult, so there won't be as a big market as there will be for audio apps on the iPad. Plus you probably have to keep in mind that you will lose sales due to warez on the computer market, while on iOS, there won't be many warez around (if any). Anyway, the general misbelief is that a product has to cost that and that price to make sure you covered production costs, and make some money with it. Basically, you can charge nothing up to hundreds of € for a software. It all depends on your target market, on your own expectations, and some other things. I think they took apart the iPhone 6 when it was released, analysed the components, and came up with production costs of 150 €. Of course, stuff like marketing, shipping, the Apple stores and all that have not yet been calculated in it, but a fact is that Apple is the company with the biggest amount of hard cash, so not money they will be reinvesting (no idea what it is in english), in the backhand. Basically, they could charge a lot less for an iPhone, but they won't, because they get the money from the customer. Fair enough, because that's how it works. I don't have to buy it.

interesting synth, im interested how it is compared to serum
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

...granted, they're only screenshots from the video, but the graphics of the Waldorf Edition look uninspiring, cheap and I have serious doubts, that medium grey fonts on a dark grey/black surface are somewhat readable... :roll:

rod_zero wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
rod_zero wrote:So given this price, if you already had an iPad what would yo do ?
iconnectivity :tu:

iconnectivity+2 doesnt have audio outputs and I have read the audio through USB has latency. I am on windows so I can only use one device at a time with its own asio drivers, or asio4all which is not quite good for low latency.

Iconnectivity+4 Has audio outputs but i it's bigger and more expensive that the roland duocapture.
am not interested in audio outs, but i was going to get one of these for the audio-through. i hadn't realised about the latency :(

loachm wrote:...granted, they're only screenshots from the video, but the graphics of the Waldorf Edition look uninspiring, cheap and I have serious doubts, that medium grey fonts on a dark grey/black surface are somewhat readable... :roll:
Actually this video seems to be done with latest version. The current GUI is brighter with a better contrast and slightly bigger fonts.
Maybe a few additional GUI optimizations will follow.
The actual quality of the real thing is also hardly comparable to screenshots from that video.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

chk071 wrote:As Numanoid said, it's another market.
I meant that ironically.

Seeing how easy it is for example to wire iPads into Reason and record with them, how is it really another market?
You can expect a lot more sales on the iPad/iPhone, due to the nature of the "playing around with" instinct with touch devices. Also, if it's just 14.95 or 19.95 (not sure how much the Nave app costs), why bother? Easily spent money.
So why not do the same in the PC/Mac market, lower the price, earn as much money with more sales?

Numanoid wrote: Seeing how easy it is for example to wire iPads into Reason and record with them, how is it really another market?
You'd nee 10 iPads for 10 instances. :P It's like plugging a hardware synth in, you can hardly compare that.
Numanoid wrote: So why not do the same in the PC/Mac market, lower the price, earn as much money with more sales?
As i wrote above, the plugin market is much more a niche market than the app market. Even people who aren't interested in getting deep into synthesis will be downloading Nave on the iPad, because a touch device is much more motivating for playing around, than a desktop computer program.

chk071 wrote:As i wrote above, the plugin market is much more a niche market than the app market. Even people who aren't interested in getting deep into synthesis will be downloading Nave on the iPad, because a touch device is much more motivating for playing around, than a desktop computer program.
I think it maybe was like that in the past, but I believe that it's not like that anymore.

It would be good to see some updated market research on this.

Nevertheless, selling Nave PC/Mac for 8 times the iOS price (it would have been 10 times had it not been for the strong dollar now), is way way way over the top.

How they can go above €75 is beyond me

Return to “Instruments”