Access Virus c in 2024 ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:01 pm I still have to hear the VSTi which sounds as musical as the Virus
Does the emulator sound less musical? I haven't compared mine side-by-side.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:12 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:01 pm I still have to hear the VSTi which sounds as musical as the Virus
Does the emulator sound less musical?
I couldn't tell. I have to judge the emulator, of course. :) Yeah, it's a VSTi too, but, I meant im comparison with... well, how to call it? Native VSTi's?

What I mean with musical is that it has a big sweet spot, which is very pleasant, if you play the instrument.

I’ve done the ab comparison with the Osirus vs Virus C. They are identical or so damn close it just doesn’t matter at least to me. Perhaps there is some minute difference with the digital to audio conversion on board the hardware but I can’t hear it. The Virus C is nicely tuned, it is hard to make it sound bad. Everything is somehow balanced and the output is appealing. The Osiris made me understand the synth topology more completely and my sound design using it has improved because of it. Wonderful synth, wonderful VST.

Scotty wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:31 am I’ve done the ab comparison with the Osirus vs Virus C. They are identical or so damn close
+1

i've done it with the B and B-rom
and found it to be identical

Strangely, I found that the Virus TI in the emulator actually sounds a bit different than the C. Dunno if I'm imagining things...

The TI and C hardware also sound different from each other.

It's strange, because I always read that the synth engine didn't change since the Virus A.

Maybe they did some fine tuning after all.

I recall reading the sound change was dur to the DACs in the Ti but maybe I'm wrong.

Pretty sure the sample rate went up and people started complaining it was too clean.
I am a philistine and I love commercial music <insert favourite consumer items here>

BTW, I absolutely hate it when (unlike the Virus), there is LFO/modulation smoothing happening in the synth, or the modulation rate isn't high enough.

This is the Virus first, and then Pigments, with the same wavetable ("Landing"), modulated with a sample & hold LFO:

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/lfo-sm ... al_sharing

The best of both worlds would be to have clicky/snappy LFO's, and a contour parameter to smoothen the transients out, if you want that.

This is just one example where synths like Pigments simply fall short. Same with the filters, envelopes (somewhat plasticky and weak sounding), low end oomph, or the filter drive. It's just all a league below something which was released almost 30 years ago now.

You're right. That sounds great.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”