Orchestral libraries for a beginner

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mixyguy2 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:11 am ah - given that, I suspect the free ones available today would out-pace it, but again don't have so can't say for sure.
I've tried quite a few of the free ones, can't say they absolutely outpace it. Usually a mixed bag of each having their particular strengths and weaknesses.

Really can be a rabbit hole to fall into during the chase.
Even the expensive can keep you running further down that hole. I feel it's best to have a specific use per project and try avoiding seeking the "best" in this regard. For "beginning", start free and be free to separate from it once it's done.
They do seem to be in a constant state of change in many directions... And the "best" today is "long in the tooth" in too short of time.

I agree, although I think it's reaching a point of diminishing returns. I hear things made with plugins now next to the same tune with real instruments and there are times that I can't tell even a tiny difference, and I think I have a pretty good ear. Given that, especially if you're using such instruments as backing vs an out-and-out orchestral piece, no one would notice the difference between one orchestral library vs another most if not all of the time.

Synful Orchestra. Can listen to tons of demos here:
https://www.synful.com/synful-demos

Also there's this thing called the KVR OSC. It happens on some internet discussion board forum. They just did it this month (combined with VSCO2 percussion):
viewtopic.php?t=603206

try Sonivox ORCHESTRAL COMPANION STRINGS

That's only strings, not a full orchestral library...looks like a great sales price though at only $20 if they're any good. Also a heads up that they require ilok.

Michael L wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:13 am Versilian Chamber Orchestra Pro
https://versilian-studios.com/vsco-pro/

over 90 individual major instruments, plus dozens of small percussion,4-8 round robins on short articulations and percussion, phaselocked modwheel crossfading on sustains, multiple microphone positions on most instruments, even Time Machine (“TM”) patches to allow adjustment of staccato length.

On sale $99
Good advice from Michael! Versilian is underrated. Even their free offers are very useful. For $49 you already get their Standard Edition and for $99 the Pro edition. It's a smaller chamber orchestra, so you won't get those megalomaniac "epic" sounds out of it. So, in terms of Film scoring think more "Coffee and Cigarettes" than "Indepence Day".

Another company that I haven't seen mentioned in the discussion here much is Orchestral Tools. They are top-notch and in the same league with Spitfire Audio and Vienna Symphonic, but quite expensive for someone just beginning. However, they also have a free series of sounds that aren't too bad for a start.

Well now I'm curious; it's been a long time since I tried the free VSCO Orchestra and I don't have the download anymore, so going to try it again. In fact, a "shoot-out" between the free orchestras is in order.

You can try Neo Orchestra CE
https://neovst.com/product/neo-orchestra-ce/
Good entry level orchestra plugin if you do movie, TV and game music.

I know it's not completely orchestra focused, but you also might try the HALion 7 free trial and see how you like that.

? Halion is a sample player. It's not an orchestral library at all.

For orchestra I would advice: VPO.
That goes relatively far - and it's enough to gain experience.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:38 am ? Halion is a sample player. It's not an orchestral library at all.
HALion Symphonic Orchestra:
https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instrumen ... orchestra/
Works with the full H7 or Sonic:
https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instruments/halion/sonic/

But definitely an Orchestra library. And can usually be had reasonably during their sales. (40%-%50%)

Well yeah, the HALion Symphonic Orchestra is, but the HALion player itself is not which is what it sounded like he was talking about. It is quite inexpensive, I'd be curious to hear from someone who got it what they thought, esp compared to other libraries.

mixyguy2 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:14 am Well yeah, the HALion Symphonic Orchestra is, but the HALion player itself is not which is what it sounded like he was talking about. It is quite inexpensive, I'd be curious to hear from someone who got it what they thought, esp compared to other libraries.
I have it and think it fits the job I need it for well. MWV for each of us of course. I've started trying to steer clear of all of their products for now after their last upgrade though and would warn everyone that they're one of the companies actively killing OSs earlier than Win10. (And note that it's just been leaked that Win12 has a projected release of 2024 already). My current versions (H6 & Cubase 11.4) still work, but I have no intention of even thinking about Steinberg until I'm forced to upgrade my hardware for the usual reasons and not by their demand. So I was just clarifying there is/was a good orchestra from them, but I currently can not recommend them.

Appreciate that info. I'm considering biting the bullet on Amadeus.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”