Freestyle Feature Requests

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Freestyle

pinki wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:13 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:30 pm Please let us have macros without needing to map them to parameters within Freestyle. I like to use Freestyle as a midi cc source to control host devices that can't be loaded into it. Currently I use freestyle mixer devices as dummy controls to have macros, but it would be nice not to require any devices to map to.
I'm not sure that's what Freestyle is designed to do.
But if a tool does something really well and is really useful even though that wasn't its' original design intent, why limit it? There are dedicated tools out there to generate midi signals, from plugin knobs for example, so it's a useful enough thing that it already exists. But none of them have snapshots, and I know snapshot morphing is being worked on, so that makes this a super useful tool, even without anything loaded inside it. But people might not think to do a weird work around like load mixer devices that aren't doing anything, in order to send midi cc from the macros. It should be an example use-case because it significantly broadens the use of this plugin. I personally use Bitwig, which has a great modulation system. So I can modulate Bitwig devices with the midi cc coming from freestyle placed earlier in the track. Same thing would be possible with Logic devices and other DAW devices that can't be loaded inside Freestyle. Even with standard midi learn. The snapshot system of freestyle lets you don't things with DAW devices that are not possible otherwise, so it should be promoted/exploited. And it seems like it would be a very small change to not require macros to be mapped to existing parameters. Maybe a right-click to assign as unassigned or something. It would just make it less weird.

Sure, that makes sense.. but it comes down to priorities and resources I think. The NSA website has a FR section where maybe this has been requested before? James would know so I'll make him aware of this, but it seems a long shot- maybe I'm wrong however.

I'm having a hard time getting on with the process of creating in freestyle vs plugin Gurus Unify, I bought both of these as a KORE 2 replacement, and so far the snapshots have been great in freestyle. The problem is getting to them, remembering what all I did. So my feature requests are a browser that allows us to store and name our projects/ presets.
There's so much gui real estate going on in freestyle, that it could definitely be a helpful tool for users who want fast recall. Thanks for your support
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:12 am So my feature requests are a browser that allows us to store and name our projects/ presets.
There's so much gui real estate going on in freestyle, that it could definitely be a helpful tool for users who want fast recall.
I already replied to this in the other thread... there is already a user-presets browser with open tagging system available in Freestyle. Have you missed this? Otherwise, please be more specific!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Sorry, but I cannot see where to load my snapshots that I have created and saved.

What you guys call projects, snapshots, this is my definition of what another company or a keyboard would call a multi. This is the feature that needs to be able to make use of with a browser.

Presets in a synth just make up a part in the multi. So while it's good you do have support for the preset, once I create my multi. I'm forced to search for it on my hard drive, and not easy recall.
Constant menu diving, vs. On the UI. This is my request for a browser to support the multis, or snapshots, projects. Easy to use vs current. Thanks for your consideration
Last edited by trusampler on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Ok, I see understood.

You cant browse snapshots, as they are part of the project. I dont see that changing. (However, I can see that it could make sense to add a feature to save out snapshots as projects for convenience).

Currently you can browse (and tag etc) your projects in the My Presets database - if you save into its scanned folders.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

pinki wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:50 pm Sure, that makes sense.. but it comes down to priorities and resources I think.
Yeah I understand. I just thought it was such a small thing to allow the macros to be enabled without assigning to a control. Seems like a minor tweak.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:02 am I just thought it was such a small thing to allow the macros to be enabled without assigning to a control. Seems like a minor tweak.
I think it would be reasonable that if the macro has a user-defined label then it always activates (but.. depending on the development effort of course)
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

:tu: Thanks New Sonic
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

newsonicarts wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:58 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:02 am I just thought it was such a small thing to allow the macros to be enabled without assigning to a control. Seems like a minor tweak.
I think it would be reasonable that if the macro has a user-defined label then it always activates (but.. depending on the development effort of course)
Yeah something like that sounds good. And perhaps that label could be auto-populated by the midi cc if midi cc's get assigned? Thus activating it also...

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:14 pm Yeah something like that sounds good.
Ok FYI I already implemented that in 1.5042, I would be curious to know if it solves your use case.
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:14 pm And perhaps that label could be auto-populated by the midi cc if midi cc's get assigned? Thus activating it also...
This however is much more development effort, tbh not gonna happen basically given its a fringe feature.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:36 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:14 pm Yeah something like that sounds good.
Ok FYI I already implemented that in 1.5042, I would be curious to know if it solves your use case.
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:14 pm And perhaps that label could be auto-populated by the midi cc if midi cc's get assigned? Thus activating it also...
This however is much more development effort, tbh not gonna happen basically given its a fringe feature.
Just tried it and that's great, thanks! No worries about auto-naming. I'd just make a template for external control with a bunch of macros ready to go and assigned anyways.

The only other thing is that the macros don't send values to the DAW. It would be nice to see the percentage as shown on the freestyle GUI sent through as the parameter value. Same for when the macros are actually assigned. They don't pass the values through. I think this one is actually fairly important to most people. Hopefully it could be like the value readout works in the upper right corner, where for NewSonicArts plugins it shows the value in the correct units (like semi-tones for pitch), unless it is assigned to multiple parameters or a custom range, then switches to %. That's perfect, but need that for VSTs too, and that value in the readout is needed passed to the DAW for automation etc.

Thanks, loving Freestyle and actively trying to get others into it!

Edit: post removed as I figured out the issue..

It seems Freestyle doesn't report any plugin latency, so the host cant compensate it. You can simply test Freeclip https://www.vennaudio.com/free-clip/ with oversampling enabled, which will add some latency. The instrument and the fx version of Freestyle(v1.5042) doesn't report a latency value at all. Using Freeclip with cranked up oversampling directly in my daw, show some latency (up to 5 samples).

Please add this, so a PDC can do the "magic" :)

+1 for PDC, I hope it's possible to impleent.

Return to “New Sonic Arts”