Diva 2 Wishlist (purely hypothetical, nothing in development)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vintage digital oscillator. Though I'm not sure which one. The Wavestation and D50 are off the table for obvious reasons. There's quite a lot of PPG/Waldorf out there already.

That really only leaves the Prophet VS and SQ-80 right? Unless you can get someone to loan you their Waldorf Wave :P

Of course the thing about waveform based oscillators is the question of how much of the sound comes from the purely digital part of the chip. How much of the sound is the output stage of the the chip? If it's the first, do you even need the synth in front of you?

The other thing that springs to mind, is how much work is it to create your own waveforms instead of risking copyright infringement claims? Or is that missing the point of the emulation.
Last edited by knowix on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DP

I am hoping for Synthex and Oscar modules.
A third fx slot would be nice as well.
Andy is a support ninja.

knowix wrote: The other thing that springs to mind, is how much work is it to create your own waveforms instead of risking copyright infringement claims? Or is that missing the point of the emulation.
Maybe official endorsement would be the way to use copyrighted waveforms/samples...

I wonder if spectral resynthesis would fall outside copyright laws but be audibly indistinguishable?

AnalogGuy1 wrote:I wonder if spectral resynthesis would fall outside copyright laws but be audibly indistinguishable?
We've talked about this a few times. If we wanted to do a D-50 type instrument, we wouldn't take that chance. We would simply recreate each waveform/sample with, say, Zebra, sample it process it and put it in our own wave rom. It would take about a month or two and it would be fully within our own copyright.

However, I can't see us do a D-50 type instrument anytime soon... (even though we're contemplating a transient/exciter module for Zebra3, albeit not a sample based one)

uselessmind wrote:I am hoping for Synthex and Oscar modules.
A third fx slot would be nice as well.
I like that idea, particularly the OSCar.

How about a DX or CZ oscillator?

I was re-reading this interview about the Prophet VS and two things jumped out at me.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/birth.txt

"We considered trying to do the waveform mixing digitally - dedicating a 68000 or TMS320 to each oscillator - it ended up cheaper to do it in analog.) But some of the nastiness is what gives the VS its character -this guy does not fade into the background in a mix".

Which means the oscillator section definitely can't be properly emulated just from schematics and theory.

This also jumped out at me :P

"We called Dave Smith in Hawaii (where he was preparing for another Iron Man tournament)".

Anyway, remembering how much the Prophet VS was influenced by the PPG Wave made me wonder if a module could effectively emulate the oscillator of both :ud:

Urs wrote:
AnalogGuy1 wrote:I wonder if spectral resynthesis would fall outside copyright laws but be audibly indistinguishable?
We've talked about this a few times. If we wanted to do a D-50 type instrument, we wouldn't take that chance. We would simply recreate each waveform/sample with, say, Zebra, sample it process it and put it in our own wave rom. It would take about a month or two and it would be fully within our own copyright.

However, I can't see us do a D-50 type instrument anytime soon... (even though we're contemplating a transient/exciter module for Zebra3, albeit not a sample based one)
It's such a darn shame :(. I adore the era of PCM synthesis/sound-modules/romplers/etc. That late 80s/early 90's period of digital synths like the Korg M1, Roland heavyhitters like the D-50 and JD800, Ensoniq VFX, Korg Triton etc are such beautiful synths with a great character. I'm satisfied on the part of u-he since u-he Hive already has such a sound-module type of character to it, but I'd love to see an authentic Diva-esque recreation of a classic PCM synth.

UVI however has some pretty amazing sample libraries from many of these synths at the moment, so I'm satisfied :).

What about a Clavia Nord Lead? Synth1 is wonderful, but a u-he emulation would such much richer I'm sure :).

Just went hunting for a preset where I knew the name, but forgot the folder. Would love a text-based search in the browser too. Merry xmas everyone!

knowix wrote: That really only leaves the Prophet VS and SQ-80 right?
+1
Prophet VS style oscillators would be gorgeous.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Just went hunting for a preset where I knew the name, but forgot the folder. Would love a text-based search in the browser too. Merry xmas everyone!
+1000, at least!

Howard wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Just went hunting for a preset where I knew the name, but forgot the folder. Would love a text-based search in the browser too. Merry xmas everyone!
+1000, at least!

Second that. Would be useful for all U-he synths :phones:

A few ideas come to mind but might not be totally in tune with the design philosophy of Diva.
1.) 2 or more pages/"layers" being able to have more oscs in paralell with their own chain of filters adsr etc...
2.) A fleshed out mod matrix page with more options to have stuff affect each other instead of fixed slots. I enjoyed Dune 2's approach a lot, the mod matrix felt really nice to work with and never felt limiting.
3.) optionally some tool thingies in the mod matrix such as rectify and so forth to be applied on anything
4.) I really like the idea of having the diva filters in zebra, would like to have the same option in Bazille, would it be crazy to imagine some kind of unification where if I own one synth, I get access to some of those features in another synth, sounds a bit too complex I guess, and also, might loose the point of making more than one synth eventually at that point. But still, its a thought that tickles my interest alot, feels like I would get more out of Bazille for example if I had those options, maybe to choose between all the diva and zebra filters. And so forth. I guess it kinda makes sense to have Zebra be the place for those kind of features since it's the flagship.

Return to “u-he”