Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Softube Modular

What exactly is it about Doepfer modules that people don't like? I'm not personally familiar with their sound so that's why I'm asking.

Frantz wrote:Wow! I was hoping someone would make something like this.
They already did, you're in denial ?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

One invaluable modular piece any user will need is the iLok dongle :(

wagtunes wrote:What exactly is it about Doepfer modules that people don't like? I'm not personally familiar with their sound so that's why I'm asking.
They are built to a (generally low) price point which a lot of people feel results in compromised quality for some of the modules. Also a lot of the designs are pretty old at this point. To an increasingly large extent a lot of their lineup is not much cheaper than (at least in the US) and outperformed by relative newcomers like Intellijel, SSF/WMD, and perhaps also Pittsburgh.

Personally I don't like the Doepfer hardware because they use stiffer, harder to turn pots than other manufacturers, which sounds like a small thing, but my hands actually start aching after a little while.

Anyway the Doepfer lineup is massive and there are several modules that would be great in any case, and a bunch more weirdo trashy/grungy/character things that are wonderful for people who like that kind of stuff. They've also doing some higher end modules lately. Unfortunately none of that showing up here yet, since Softube have gone with a selection of the most basic, vanilla stuff possible to start with.

I guess this might make me finally go buy an Ilok2 Dongle. I already have an Ilok account because of the free Eventide Channel Strip.

So far my only gripe is the lack of proper Cable physics :hihi:

I imagine this will have Multi-core processing and by the sounds of it (via discussion in the presentation), they really did a good job of modelling the circuits. If anything this will be an excellent addition to those who also own Bazille, A.c.e, Reaktor 6, Aalto etc

If this does well, I imagine other developers will give Softube the go-ahead to make virtual versions of their modules. I would love to see their take on the Make-noise lineup.
:borg:

wagtunes wrote:What exactly is it about Doepfer modules that people don't like? I'm not personally familiar with their sound so that's why I'm asking.
The Doepfer oscillators and filters I've heard have no character whatsoever. Most virtual analogs sound better, IMO.

Happy to see my Euro Reakt stuff posted here!

More than anything, I'm hoping that they announce some sort of SDK. I would love to crank out a few modules for it. It looks like a solid interface, especially for my students.

wagtunes wrote:What exactly is it about Doepfer modules that people don't like?
The fact that its utilitarian and affordable.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Hmm, I will say that the softube modular has a certain appeal. But I'm haunted by images of Tassman 4.

And the thing is, for the same $99 it would cost to get softube modular, I could get the upgrade to Reaktor 6 instead -- and not have to keep dropping additional money for new modules, as clearly the case would be for softube modular. Reaktor has so much going for it. And now with the Blocks concept being adopted and its ability to be the hub for a hardware/software modular environment, it's hard to see how you can get a better value than Reaktor.

I'll still be watching softube modular with curiosity, but if I decide I'm in the market for more modular capabilities, it would be a hard sell versus other options on the market.

I have pretty much the same thoughts about it as KBS, and I also have Tassman 4. So promising, but not followed up on.

Also have Reaktor, but I'm still on 5. I think overall, an upgrade to 6 with the Blocks seems like it'd be the better way for me to go.

I'll be keeping an eye of this Softube thing though.

felis wrote:I have pretty much the same thoughts about it as KBS, and I also have Tassman 4. So promising, but not followed up on.

Also have Reaktor, but I'm still on 5. I think overall, an upgrade to 6 with the Blocks seems like it'd be the better way for me to go.

I'll be keeping an eye of this Softube thing though.
For me it comes down to sound quality. Reaktor 6 vs Softube Modular. Which will sound better? Will they both sound good? Will one be clearly superior?

And how do you find all this out before actually getting them both?

wagtunes wrote:Which will sound better? Will they both sound good? Will one be clearly superior?

And how do you find all this out before actually getting them both?
Demo 'em?

Uncle E wrote:
The Doepfer oscillators and filters I've heard have no character whatsoever..
Their Wasp and MS-20 style filters have more 'character' than just about anything bar the Harvestman Polivoks, IMO. And their Morphing filter has more flexibility than just about anything including the Matrix-12 its based on. Im rather fond of their triple-bandpass filter too. The basic A-110 oscillator is definitely workhorse, but I find it kind of ironic that their CEM based A-111 seems to get a lot more recognition of its capabilities now that its been discontinued. My first synth, a Digisound 80 modular, had roughly the same CEM-based design so I already knew that simultaneous PWM and hard- and soft- sync thing; its nae bad at all for one single oscillator.
Plus, of course, the A-112 was doing crunchy low-fi sampling and wavetables long before the boutique Eurorack bods had even woken up to the fact there was a market for that kind of stuff. Just as much (8 bits worth) 'character' as the original Tyme Safari, in fact.
And to be fair, if it wasnt for Doepfer, there'd be no Eurorack market in the first place, and first five years of the 'boutique' Euro punter would have consisted of a lot of people with nothing but 'character' oscillators and filters and no support modules to speak of. :lol:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Their Wasp and MS-20 style filters have more 'character' than just about anything bar the Harvestman Polivoks, IMO. And their Morphing filter has more flexibility than just about anything including the Matrix-12 its based on. Im rather fond of their triple-bandpass filter too.
That's good to hear. If these aren't among the included modules, hopefully they will show up as add-ons.
And to be fair, if it wasnt for Doepfer, there'd be no Eurorack market in the first place, and first five years of the 'boutique' Euro punter would have consisted of a lot of people with nothing but 'character' oscillators and filters and no support modules to speak of. :lol:
Yes, that's certainly true.

Here's a little video from today's Modular announcement at Musikmesse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgUxJ6Odoq8
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Return to “Instruments”