The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

yep. If you activate the backports repository in your sources.list [1] (and if I am correct about Flash 9) you'll get it as an update.

[1] : backports repo is already in your sources.list, but commented out. You can enable it in the same way as you enabled universe and multiverse, i.e. editing the textfile /etc/apt/sources.list
ngfnjhte?

thanks - got it now

had a look at the sources.list and added the backports repo to the synaptic package manager (im not yet a terminal geek) and flash 9 now up and running - much better sync (but like you say still not quite perfectly in time)

slainte :D rob

If you find that that the screen is not displaying at the correct resolution, specially if it's wide-screen, then you may need to edit a file.

On most it is xorg.conf and resides in /etc/X11

You will see several lines with the monitor resolutions on, here's the bit of mine that I've altered for my monitor mode. As it's an lcd I only display at it's main resolution.

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE]"
Monitor "MW19E-ABA"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1440x900"
EndSubSection

You need to do this for all 5 lines and reboot for it to take effect. Back up the old file first just in case and rename it xorg.conf.old

fake
You cant beat people up then have them say "I love you"

If you compile audacity with V19 portaudio you can use it in jack as well.

It wont show as a port in qjackctl but it's there. If using it that way to record it must be the last app to be opened.

It is not necessary to install programs, but it does make uninstalling and tracking dependencies easier. If a program fails on install due to not having the correct lib versions then manually install it and try it that way.
Sometimes the lib may just have a different version number but should still work as most are backwards compatible.

Just uncompress the deb etc and copy it to the same locations as the source points to and then run it. If it don't work then just delete the files. Doing it this way the package will not show up in the package manager list but will still be recognised.
There is also another hack and that is to edit the hidden control file and rebuild the package, coming soon :wink:

And, always do a first run in a terminal, that way you can monitor the output and see if there are problems.

Oh, I forgot rule no: 1

Only use "root" or "su" to alter settings, never run as root as it can be disastrous and is also not necessary.

fake

what interfaces are supported/have drivers? I know m-audio makes linux drivers but I am using a Presonus firepod does firewire make any difference on linux?
I would really like to make the linux switch but there are so many questions I have. The internet searches are often not helpful and I have not seen to much info with audio on linux. Could someone show me the light?

JamieSkeen wrote:Could someone show me the light?
thats why i started this thread

still a noob myself but AFAIK most linux distros dont support firewire out of the box - there is a project called freebob thats in the process of adding that but its still too complex for me to compile and install right now

more info on it here

http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.ph ... _GNU/Linux

slainte :ud: rob

thanks

Just weighing in. I've been using Linux for 2 1/2 years and after a great deal of experimentation with distributions ( Fedora, Vector, Slackware, SUSE, Mepis, Libranet, Slax, Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, to name a few) I've kinda settled on Sidux, based on Debian testing repositories. I also like messing around with Puppy and dyne:bolic. Haven't seen it mentioned but Planet CCRMA is one of the best-maintained Linux multimedia distros around, though it takes a bit of effort to install.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that to get optimal audio performance you really need a kernel with realtime capabilities. AFAIK very few general purpose distros come with a realtime kernel stock--you'll have to compile your own or find a repository with one. Planet CCRMA and dyne:bolic both include realtime kernels. If I'm not mistaken, relatime capabilites are slated to be included in the stock Linux kernel around version 2.6.22 or so.

Anyway, I'm in the process of configuring Sidux and plan on installing EXT2..good times! Can't wait for other DAWS to start supporting this fine OS!

Good point Winstontaneous.

Unfortunately some will be put off Linux because they will not be using a rt kernel and will probably get poor results.

Like you say, for music a rt kernel is a must, its a bit like the difference between using window drivers and asio.

On using XT2 on Linux:

I have been running it reliably with several synths and fx @128 samples, 5.8ms and have also been using it at....16 samples and 0.76ms. Never achieved that under Windows.

2007, the year of the Linux DAW!

fake

having said that for my needs i have no problems with a stock non-realtime (i assume) kernel

(although i wouldnt say no to a step-by-step noob guide to compiling and adding a realtime kernel)

slainte :hihi: rob

There used to be one on the UbuntuStudio site, but it seems to have disappeared. Shame, really, because I was just about to build a rt kernel for my shuttle.
There is a very good guide for compiling your own kernel on the Ubuntu forums, though- search for the Master Kernel Thread.
It's not a very complicated precedure, the actual switching on and off of options happens in a nice graphical program which also explains what every option does (and what to to if unsure).
It's a lengthy process though, and the actual compiling can take several hours, depending on your processor (5 hours on this PII).
So, if you can find the time and patience, give it a shot. You also get to switch off any drivers for unused hardware, which is nice. And if the proicess fails, you can always revert to the old kernel.

Groet, Erik
Pop music delenda est.

I took mine off the 64Studio 32 bit disk so if you have a deb install that should work. Just add the cd to the synaptic list and install, that way any problems or dependencies will show up before you commit and say yes.

Read the synaptic terminal output or you may end up removing the running kernel by mistake and trash the system. When you re-boot the new kernel should show up in the grub list so you can compare it with the old.

Install:

linux-image-2.6.17-2 multimedia
alsa-modules-2.6.17-2 multimedia
kernel-patch-2.6 realtime lsm
kernel-patch-2.6 realtime preempt
set-rlimits 1.2.0-1

Some links:

http://www.kernel.org/

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user ... 44204.html

http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/debian.html

Some are outdated but the information on building makes good? reading. Don't be put off by the 5 hours to compile. On my machine amdxp 2500+ it took just over an hour but I had stripped out lots of stuff. ISA support, drivers that my system didn't need, laptop support, pcmcia suport, lots of video and audio drivers. You will get the idea and it don't hurt trying.

Like everything its a bit intimidating at first but then you start to think "shit that's easy"

I should mention the DeMuDi project now seems to be dead. :(

Hope that helps. :)

fake

Hello all...
Has anyone used Musix GNU+Linux ?
It's a linux distro from Argentina.

Another one is "Studio to Go" which is made by the developers of Rosegarden.

Both are available as a Live CDs.
This simply means that you can;
-download a CD image for their website...
-burn it to a CD..
-boot you machine with that disk in the drive..
-answer a couple questions about your hardware...
-test a functioning Linux operating system with music software ready to try out.
-reboot your machine and your original software and operating system are unchanged !! (edit)

Studio to Go is a commercial product that has a demo version LiveCD.
It is based on Ubuntu, combines a bunch of free linux software,
adds some custom stuff, and preconfigures everything to simply it's use for non-geeks.

Musix GNU+Linux (Debian Based) is a non-commercial free product that combines free linux software and preconfigures it for for ease of use.

I'm currently trying out Musix GNU+Linux and have yet to test out Studio to Go.

Anyone else tried these and have any comments ?
How do they compare to an installed and running normal Ubuntu/Redhat system ?
Please help someone who want's to type my screen name into my windows partition :)

FWIW: For those who question using Linux for audio....
Check out the "Receptor" by Muse Research.
It's basically a customized computer running a stripped down Redhat linux with some custom software.
It seems to be considered very stable and great for live perfomances.

Cheers,
Format C

Audio hints from Con Kolivas
http://ck.kolivas.org/faqs/audio_hints
ngfnjhte?

format C wrote: Another one is "Studio to Go" which is made by the developers of Rosegarden.
STG also has a low latency kernel right out of the box.

Studio to Go is a commercial product that has a demo version LiveCD.
It is based on Ubuntu, [/quote]

In the interest of accuracy, STG is not based on Ubuntu. It is based on a combination of Knoppix for the live boot and regular Debian.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”