Waldorf Music at NAMM 2015: Nave for PC/Mac, Waldorf Edition 2, Attack for iOS, nw1 Eurorack module

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nave Waldorf Edition: Attack Waldorf Edition: D-Pole Waldorf Edition: PPG Wave 2.V

Mac Hine wrote:I use 1920x1080 full hd. I am using LG full-hd tv instead of monitor. It propably has no affect but I thought I mention.
Strange. I use the same resolution and also tested in the FL Studio 11.1.1 demo (on Windows 7 64-bit).
Did not notice such probem there. Do you use FL studio 11 or the Beta of v12?

This is a screenshot of Attack in FLSrudio 11.1.1 64-bit (demo version) that i created yesterday:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 011_01.png
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Do you use FL studio 11 or the Beta of v12?
I use FL studio 11.1.0 windows 7 64bit. Well, I think I report this to official support. I just wanted to check that it is not my "stupid user error" :)

Ingonator wrote:
Mac Hine wrote:Just upgraded to v2 as I always liked attack.

In v2 attack is so big that it wont fit on my screen in FL? Is there a way to resize it? I cant find it? Checked the manual but it seems to be old one from vol1. Same goes for ppgwave 2.2
Which resolution do you use at your dispaly? Mine is Full HD and there it is fine. For Ultra HD/4K or Retina displays automatically a bigger GUI should be loaded.
In the first Betas it was possible to switch to that manually (with an additional file) and at my Full HD display this was indeed huge.
Full HD by itself is meaningless. Don't you think there's a difference between 1080P on a 15,4" laptop or on a 50" TV?
What was wrong with the manual switch?

T-CM11 wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
Mac Hine wrote:Just upgraded to v2 as I always liked attack.

In v2 attack is so big that it wont fit on my screen in FL? Is there a way to resize it? I cant find it? Checked the manual but it seems to be old one from vol1. Same goes for ppgwave 2.2
Which resolution do you use at your dispaly? Mine is Full HD and there it is fine. For Ultra HD/4K or Retina displays automatically a bigger GUI should be loaded.
In the first Betas it was possible to switch to that manually (with an additional file) and at my Full HD display this was indeed huge.
Full HD by itself is meaningless. Don't you think there's a difference between 1080P on a 15,4" laptop or on a 50" TV?
What was wrong with the manual switch?
Based on the screenshot posted above it looks like the size of the deskktop and controls in FL Studio 11 is similar to my system, just Attack is much bigger than in my case.

Not sure if that matters but i used the demo of FL Studio 11.1.1 while in the post above v11.1.0 was mentioned.

So far nobody of the testers mentioned such problem during the Beta. We also have a tester that got the full version of FL Studio 11.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: Based on the screenshot posted above it looks like the size of the deskktop and controls in FL Studio 11 is similar to my system
You can't see the size of the screen on a screenshot. :wink:
Anyway, I'd like a bigger GUI (for all the WE edition plugins), but not that big.

Mac Hine wrote:
Do you use FL studio 11 or the Beta of v12?
I use FL studio 11.1.0 windows 7 64bit. Well, I think I report this to official support. I just wanted to check that it is not my "stupid user error" :)

I just installed and checked the Waldorf Edition 2 on my 16.4" VAIO notebook (has Full HD too) and found the same problem (the host doesn't matter, at the notebook i tested with Live 9). No problem with the bigger display at my desktop PC that was used during the Beta testing.

Actually i installed it at my notebook as i wanted to check with my own TV (as i the report above a TV was used too) but obviously this is not necessary...

UPDATE;
Just received a workaround that forces the smaller GUI size and this seems to work here at my notebook (at my Dektop PC it works properly without this).

The workaround is to copy a text file to C:\ (at Windows) or Root (at OSX). This is a downlad for a ZIP with that text file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... _Small.zip

This forces the GUI size to the smaller size.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Microtonic in Bitwig: regardless of whatever sound selected ( 1 to 8 ) Bitwig automatically picks up (in the Bitwig device panel) the knob or slider that is being moved in Microtonic.

Attack in Bitwig: Attack does this only for the sound on channel 1. Shouldn't this behaviour be the same as Microtonic handles it?

Just asking.

In addition to the notes cutting off issue shown here: http://youtu.be/jLI_f8QqUd0
I'm also having lots of Logic crashes opening old projects with PPG V2. And I miss the vintage GUI. Why have such an authentic emulation that doesn't recreate the look of the beautiful original instrument? Really bizarre change IMO. I hope Waldorf doesn't ruin PPG v3's look and stability too.

So, can I reinstall the old Waldorf Edition over the new one or do I need to uninstall the new version first?

abernathy wrote:In addition to the notes cutting off issue shown here: http://youtu.be/jLI_f8QqUd0
I'm also having lots of Logic crashes opening old projects with PPG V2. And I miss the vintage GUI. Why have such an authentic emulation that doesn't recreate the look of the beautiful original instrument? Really bizarre change IMO. I hope Waldorf doesn't ruin PPG v3's look and stability too.

So, can I reinstall the old Waldorf Edition over the new one or do I need to uninstall the new version first?
Even though Waldorf has released pretty buggy software even in the hardware days, this is getting ridiculous. It seems that they can not release a working software anymore.

And I completely agree that the GUI makeover on PPG V2 seems pretty weird. If they at least had made some feature improvements also then I would understand that it warranted a new GUI. I guess that maybe they just wanted to differentiate V2 from V3.

I would highly recommend to uninstall V2 first or you will get in the mess. I guess I'm also going back to V1 as V2 has been a step backwards. I don't think I have been for a long time as disappointed with a release than I am currently. And all I expected them to do was to fix the goddamn knobs - a problem known for many many years.
No signature here!

For those who do not see the differences in Attack v1 and Attack v2 here are two screenshots:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0v2_01.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0v2_02.png

The Samples and Effects parts are marked with red color.

Each of the 6 Audio Outputs could use a different effect now.

Theoretically it should be possible to use custom samples with e.g. the Spectre tool from Waldorf (the free tool for managing Samples in Blofeld) but i have not tested this yet.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

robotmonkey wrote: And all I expected them to do was to fix the goddamn knobs - a problem known for many many years.
What do you mean with that?

If you mean linear/circular behavior it is linear here in Windows, at least in Cubase (both v8 and v7.5), Live 9, Studio One 2.6, Pro Tools 11 (+10), Reaper 4 and Bitwig Studio and some more. Same should be in OSX.
That was also changed with Waldorf Edition v1 in recent versions.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
robotmonkey wrote: And all I expected them to do was to fix the goddamn knobs - a problem known for many many years.
What do you mean with that?

If you mean linear/circular behavior it is linear here in Windows, at least in Cubase (both v8 and v7.5), Live 9, Studio One 2.6, Pro Tools 11 (+10), Reaper 4 and Bitwig Studio and some more. Same should be in OSX.
That was also changed with Waldorf Edition v1 in recent versions.
It's not only the linear/circular thing. The knobs also need a smoother fine grained movement. For example if you try to dial in distortion in D-Pole it jumps from 0db to 25 or 30db blowing your speakers. It's super difficult to enter any precise values. This has always been the case with both Attack and D-Pole for ever.

And actually it seems that in the latest version of V1 the knob behavior was a bit better. So a definitely a step backwards.
No signature here!

Hello

Did the filter and/or oscillators algorithms got updated (like, with oversampling, anti aliasing, etc) for D-Pole and/or Attack, or is it just a cosmetic update ?

Also, how does Attack compare to Drumatic2 ? Is ther emuch overlap sound-wise ?

Thank you

sinkmusic wrote:Hello

Did the filter and/or oscillators algorithms got updated (like, with oversampling, anti aliasing, etc) for D-Pole and/or Attack, or is it just a cosmetic update ?

Also, how does Attack compare to Drumatic2 ? Is ther emuch overlap sound-wise ?
Biggest changes besides the GUIs are with Attack wher an advanced Samples implementation (wit ha bunch of factory Samples) and new effects are added (you could use a different effect for each of teh 6 audio outputs).
I guess i mentioned this many times now and at this page i added screenshots which show some of the changes that are obvious from the GUI.

Never used Drumatic but just had a look at the website for Drumatic 4. Just looking at the GUI there seems to be a different approach and not directly comparable IMO.
Also the prcies are difficult to compare as Waldorf Edition 2 is 3 products in one.

Attack is closer like a full featured synth and with instruments 13-24 you could also play them polyphonic (at the upper part of the keyboard). Some of the new Samples seem to be quite useful for creating polyphonic synth sounds.

Sound wise Attack was always great IMO, also with the old version.

A combination of Atatck and D-Pole could also load to some cool results. If you use Attack with the 6 audio outputs you could add an instance of D-Pooe to each of the audio outputs.

For PPG Wave 2.V removing all aliasing would be quite pointless as it is a part of the sound character and the "bigger brother" PPG Wave 3.V which is an even more faithful emulation of the real thing the aliasing of the real synth is actually emulated with different TruePPG modes (while with TruePPG off it is more clean).
High quality samples of a PPG Wave 2.x like e.g. those from UVI seem to sound much too clean and kill most of the character of the original synth.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Thank you, Ingo.

Yes, i guess that you already answered the question, but i read the previous page and the 2 first pages of the thread, and i wasn't sure about the definnitive reply ;)

I understand that the aliasing is part of PPG's sound, as mentionned in my question i was mostly wondering about Attack and D-Pole, sorry i wasn't very clear.

Can we import user samples in Attack, or just load one from the factory bank ?

Return to “Instruments”