RapidComposer v4 beta feedback and discussion (locked)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

Thanks Attila. The ability to choose more than one track (or all of them) in the Midi Transformer is great!
Slight bug (maybe): If you have the Midi transformer open with a midi file loaded and then change the track instrument with the generator still open, it removes the midi file.

Cheers. Mike.

Hi.

Thanks for RC v4.8b1.

I am observing that if the Idea Tool lightning is applied to a 'MIDI Transformer' phrase then that phrase is destroyed (deleted). Nor will using the lock protect it.

I also notice that the lock does not apply to the use of the 'G' key. Offhand I would think it should, the idea being that "Locked is locked, period, until explicitly unlocked.".

Hi again.

Attempting to open the attached file reports: "Open error. Invalid Composition File."

It used to work in the prior beta. I don't know if the file has become corrupted, or if an incompatibility has been introduced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yes, an incompatibility was introduced because of the name change Markov Generator -> MIDI Transformer
I fixed this. If you need an update right now, please let me know, so that I can send you the fixed version.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
Summer Sale - 40% off RapidComposer - June 3 to 18

Mykyndryd_ wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:37 am Thanks Attila. The ability to choose more than one track (or all of them) in the Midi Transformer is great!
Slight bug (maybe): If you have the Midi transformer open with a midi file loaded and then change the track instrument with the generator still open, it removes the midi file.

Cheers. Mike.
Hi Mike,

yes, good observation, it re-loads the phrase into the inspector for an instrument change, and since the inspector contents were not applied/saved, the empty phrase will be shown. I tried, but I cannot easily fix this without introducing dangerous future side effects. So I recommend you to press Apply in the phrase inspector, even if that is not the final version of the phrase.

Cheers!
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:48 pm Yes, an incompatibility was introduced because of the name change Markov Generator -> MIDI Transformer
I fixed this. If you need an update right now, please let me know, so that I can send you the fixed version.

Thanks,
Attila
Thanks for the info. No need here for an immediate update. Cheers!

musicdevelopments wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:18 pm Hi Mike,

yes, good observation, it re-loads the phrase into the inspector for an instrument change, and since the inspector contents were not applied/saved, the empty phrase will be shown. I tried, but I cannot easily fix this without introducing dangerous future side effects. So I recommend you to press Apply in the phrase inspector, even if that is not the final version of the phrase.

Cheers!
Attila
Thanks Attila. Nice easy solution. Cheers.

musicdevelopments wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:20 pm No, all the other generators create chord or scale relative notes.
"MIDI Generator" produces "dumb" MIDI notes, without any relation to the master track chords and scales (because it forms its own chords). The user has the choice to replace the master track chords and convert this to chord relative form.

:?: Is "MIDI Transformer" good for everyone?
It's alright, but how about something with a little more pizazz, like MIDI Sculptor or MIDI Transmogrifier, or MIDI Metamorphosizer?
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Ok, yea, I was admittedly skeptical of the benefits/uses of ghost tracks. But, if you watched the video I did from the other day on using ghost phrases on multiple tracks, then add that with a ghost track and you can get some really wild and crazy results. Basically, I ghosted the ghosts.. lol Try it..

Hi Attila

i know this feature is still in beta but i noticed for the ghost tracks that only the variations on individual phases work, if i were to put variations on the entire track the ghost of that track is not updated, also i cant add variations to individual phrases on the ghost tracks. is this intentional?
i would like too see track variations affect the ghost tracks as well as phrase variations or a toggle to allow both options.

Honestly I have never seen more creative people than you all on this forum! 8)
I am happy to be here!
Attila

milliondabeat wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:34 pm Hi Attila

i know this feature is still in beta but i noticed for the ghost tracks that only the variations on individual phases work, if i were to put variations on the entire track the ghost of that track is not updated, also i cant add variations to individual phrases on the ghost tracks. is this intentional?
i would like too see track variations affect the ghost tracks as well as phrase variations or a toggle to allow both options.
Hi milliondabeat,

at the moment the track variations are not applied to the ghost track, which can have its own variations. I thought this would be more flexible, maybe not everyone needs the original track variations applied, and this was more difficult to implement than simply duplicating all rendered notes. But I am open, there could be a setting for this to apply the original track variations first.

Editing ghost track phrases is a problem, because they are mirrored for each small change in the original track. They are automatically created and destroyed. I'll think about this, maybe this can be done but any other editing on these phrases will get lost. Maybe the phrase inspector should display only the phrase variations.

Thanks,
Attila

I'll try and do another video showing what I can do with that idea, Atilla, maybe that would help you decide..

Ghost-and-then-vary, or vary-and-then-ghost, that is the question? (apologies to Willy)

Or vary-and-then-ghost-and-then-vary?

Are these all 3 practical options (if perhaps difficult/tricky implementation-wise)? Or not?

Can they coexist as options, technically, or not?

If so, can a clear UI be created so that the process is easily understood by the users?

If not, which implementations are being offered for either-or commentary?

Of course "Variations" is a very specific term in RC. Are there other forms of alteration also implicated in the subject of track ghosting?

RapidComposer v4.8b2 is available!

Improvements:
  • "Apply original track variations" added for ghost tracks (inspector, General tab). Now you have the choice to ghost copy a track with or without its track variations
  • New coloring option for "Color chord notes by distance from root": "Yes, all notes"
  • [Plug-ins] Fixed: preview instruments were not saved

Return to “MusicDevelopments”