Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Softube Modular

Rastkovic wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:12 am
vertibration wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:30 am
martinjuenke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:07 pm All the critics have an unanimous opinion:
Softube Modular is like hardware, soundwise and use-wise.
Welcome to the adult's instrument!
Use wise? You dreamin. VCV smokes it when it comes to workflow
Workflow is not just to duplicate and rearrange modules, it is also about the modules. How they work, or does they work at least. They are many modules in the database, but a lot of them simply doesn't work 100% right and accurate.

Workflow also means to me, how easy it is, to get the sequencer stuff in-sync with the DAW. That's so much more simple and comfortable in Reaktor Blocks, but also in Softube Modular. They are no modules in VCV Rack with a simple sync-to-host (tempo) button on the front (at least I didn't know anyone), why I need to draw cables for this? It is software, not hardware, why not start using the advantages.

An example of my personal VCV Rack experience: I started a new sequenced patch in VCV Rack today, with two sequencers (cv+gate), a quantizer and a S/H module. After inserting the quantizer between the cv sequencer and the S/H module, the patch stopped working. Why? Well, because of the latency between the modules. I never experienced problems in that way in Softube Modular, neither in Reaktor Blocks.

VCV Rack is a (fun) toy for big boys to me, but not a professional instrument. For a professional instrument, it is also obvious, to solve bugs and take the customers seriously. This one is still a open and confirmed bug, I reported it twice directly to VCV. I still can't use the plugin in Ableton Live in that way I want, nearly two years after the release.
I cant dispute you on that. A bug is a bug is a bug

I just think softube really needs a Modular 2. Get rid of all the crappy workflow choices like add and delete buttons.

Three slightly older patches from me, combined into one big patch....

Softube Modular - Weltschmerz Style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1f_93JHZus

Free patch download:

https://patchstorage.com/weltschmerz-bass
https://patchstorage.com/weltschmerz-lead
Last edited by Rastkovic on Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rastkovic wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:07 am Three slightly older patches from me, combined into one big patch....

Softube Modular - Weltschmerz Style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1f_93JHZus
Sounds great, feel free to share the patch if you're inclined ;)
A well-behaved signature.

I'm selling my whole Softube Modular system on - which is almost all of it - at the moment. I love the sound and always get inspired when I see and hear a good patch but I just can't get my head around the workflow. Not a softube thing at all, any of the modulars I have tried are just too much for me :(
I still keep a bunch of Softube stuff tho and bought Atlantis Dual Chambers this BF - they really nail that rich analogue sound.

neverbefore wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:11 am I'm selling my whole Softube Modular system on - which is almost all of it - at the moment. I love the sound and always get inspired when I see and hear a good patch but I just can't get my head around the workflow. Not a softube thing at all, any of the modulars I have tried are just too much for me :(
I still keep a bunch of Softube stuff tho and bought Atlantis Dual Chambers this BF - they really nail that rich analogue sound.
The workflow isn’t good. It is Softube. Their whole way of adding, moving and deleting modules is awkward. There are plenty of other software modulars who do a better job.

I’ve come to a way of using Softube Modular that’s a bit of a work-a-round. I don’t make patches from scratch. I treat each preset patch like a plugin, and then make presets with it. I’ll add things and swap out modules, but making anything from scratch in it is too big a hassle. There’s lots of cool presets, so I’m basically fine with it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:29 am
neverbefore wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:11 am I'm selling my whole Softube Modular system on - which is almost all of it - at the moment. I love the sound and always get inspired when I see and hear a good patch but I just can't get my head around the workflow. Not a softube thing at all, any of the modulars I have tried are just too much for me :(
The workflow isn’t good. It is Softube. Their whole way of adding, moving and deleting modules is awkward. There are plenty of other software modulars who do a better job.

I’ve come to a way of using Softube Modular that’s a bit of a work-a-round. I don’t make patches from scratch. I treat each preset patch like a plugin, and then make presets with it. I’ll add things and swap out modules, but making anything from scratch in it is too big a hassle. There’s lots of cool presets, so I’m basically fine with it.
not my experience at all - for example I found vcv awful - ridiculously over complex as far as finding modules (way too many so it takes forever to find something) and Reaktor Blocks etc are often inscrutable as to function. None of them are perfect.

neverbefore wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:11 am I'm selling my whole Softube Modular o on - which is almost all of it - at the moment.
I wouldn't do that. If Softube updates Modular to version 2 and the workflow changes significantly, you will regret it.

Rastkovic wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:09 pm
neverbefore wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:11 am I'm selling my whole Softube Modular o on - which is almost all of it - at the moment.
I wouldn't do that. If Softube updates Modular to version 2 and the workflow changes significantly, you will regret it.
Man...thats a big if

neverbefore wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:56 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:29 am

not my experience at all - for example I found vcv awful - ridiculously over complex as far as finding modules (way too many so it takes forever to find something) and Reaktor Blocks etc are often inscrutable as to function. None of them are perfect.
Well, blame that on the Eurorack world that it’s imitating, where modules are often inscrutable.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Tried it recently. Really wanted to like it because I love their model series synths.

But the interface seemed awkward and not really something I could spend hours working with.

Imo need an overhaul and could be amazing

Would be fun to get Modular and Model 72, set up a virtual Moog Grandmother, and then never swap modules again. The Grandmother does everything I'd ever want from a modular.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:14 pm Would be fun to get Modular and Model 72, set up a virtual Moog Grandmother, and then never swap modules again. The Grandmother does everything I'd ever want from a modular.
strangely enough I am selling both if you are interested

(lol :hihi: )

But I might try that, who knows maybe that will have me keeping the system. Radically simplifying probably will suit me fine so your suggestion is much appreciated

neverbefore wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:28 pm strangely enough I am selling both if you are interested
How much?

Uncle E wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:04 pm
neverbefore wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:28 pm strangely enough I am selling both if you are interested
How much?
from my ad on the sales page.............

Paypal US - all fees paid by me, what you see as the price here is your total cost, no hidden anythings.

SOFTUBE
SYNTHS BUNDLE $ 90
Model 72 and Model 82
(currently $258 and still cheaper than their BF pricing)

MODULAR BUNDLE $250
(save about $110 on Softube BF pricing )
Modular base system
Vermona Random Rhythm
Buchla 296e Spectral Processor
Mutable Instruments Rings
Mutable Instruments Clouds
Mutable Instruments Braids
Doepfer A-188-1 BBD
Doepfer A-101-2 Vactrol LPG
Buchla 259e Twisted Waveform Generator
4ms Pingable Envelope Generator (PEG)
4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator (SMR)
Intellijel Rubicon