Free Sample Libraries that urgently need .SFZ mapping

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks!

Many thanks to Kinwie and the original authors 🙏🙏

A little bump here: Are there new SFZs or ideas for new SFZs? :?: :D
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Samples From Mars does a yearly Black Friday sale where they sell their entire catalog for $50. The rest of the year to get everything would cost well over $1000. It’s one of the best SFZ sales I’m aware of, and I repurchase it every few years to get the new SFZs that have been made.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Also there’s a new 5 gig piano here:

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/the-e ... s-model-b/
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

In fact, there are a lot of really great sounding sfz instruments on this page, and many of them are free.

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:01 pm Also there’s a new 5 gig piano here:

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/the-e ... s-model-b/
Fantastic, thanks! :)

Thanks for all the help. Kinwie, especially. However, on Linux the .sfz's seem to work poorly. The PC Sam Schiby Tabla .sfz doesn't work with sfizz at all. There's so much code (too much?) that I wouldn't know what to edit to make it work.

What sampler are you using on Linux?

PetPet33 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:11 pm There's so much code (too much?) that I wouldn't know what to edit to make it work.
If you are talking about the sfz file that's strange, because the only sfizz' unsupported opcodes that I see are {group|region}_label, which shouldn't break the functionality of the instrument. However I see that only few keys are available with a quite low volume. Is this the problem? As alternative, have you tried sforzando with some bridge (Carla or Yabridge)?

Has anybody looked at making sfz mappings for free GrandOrgue samples? I grabbed a set from piotrgrabowski.pl and it seems like a simple job - there are clearly organized and named WAV files, 3 round robins for the sustains, loop points embedded in metadata, 2 round robins for releases. Just a lot of folders with varying names and ranges.

Not sure if there'd be much point to this as GrandOrgue is free and open source, but it also is a standalone program and if I read the RAM requirements correctly, stores the entire sample set in memory instead of doing disk streaming, so perhaps having them in sforzando or sfizz would be useful enough to some users to make it worth it. OTOH you'd need to separate the manuals and pedals somehow, so it might take three files to make one working organ, but still, it does look like there are gigabytes and gigabytes of very nice organ samples out there which could be converted.

They could, but... should they?

https://youtu.be/jYwVa2zXrvg

DSmolken wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:36 pm Not sure if there'd be much point to this as GrandOrgue is free and open source, but it also is a standalone program and if I read the RAM requirements correctly, stores the entire sample set in memory instead of doing disk streaming, so perhaps having them in sforzando or sfizz would be useful enough to some users to make it worth it.
No question: an sfz version would be a great addition to the sfz community! :tu:

DSmolken wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:36 pm OTOH you'd need to separate the manuals and pedals somehow, so it might take three files to make one working organ, but still, it does look like there are gigabytes and gigabytes of very nice organ samples out there which could be converted. They could, but... should they? ...
When creating an SFZ version, I would advocate not always building the
"big, all-encompassing solution" right away. It is often also useful and enriching
to assemble small versions that only use a subset of the samples. :wink:

Using MIDI program you shouldn't need multiple files. For SFZ plugins that ignore MIDI channel, users would need to use multiple plugins, one per MIDI channel. MIDI program works for Aria, at least.

Took a look at a couple of Piotr Grabowski's free organs. One I gave up on for now because the release samples would require a different offset for each sample (doable, but time-consuming), but the newer ones have the releases starting where we need, so that's fine. I got the main keyboard from the Strassburg organ working for all the stops (no noises yet) and there were a few missing round robins that needed a manual alteration of the sample maps, but it... basically works and sounds great, though probably too wet for a lot of other uses.

Using a lot of stops at once, though, does easily hit sforzando's hard limit of 256 polyphony voices and requires upping the disk pre-caching and RAM allocation. So, all in all, probably better to just use these in GrandOrgue and rewire that into your DAW if you need to use it as a plugin. But I've done enough that I might as well also do the positif and the pedals and at least some of the noises and share this.

It also looks like the free Hauptwerk sets have unlocked WAV files with clear naming, though the folder structure is messier and the one I grabbed has multiple mics, which is good (can get much drier) but means even more polyphony voices and RAM use.

I'm getting $macro not defined errors for MTG Trumpet and Sasje Trumpet when trying to load the sfz files. I can't copy paste the error messages which is annoying...

Is anyone still working on this project?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”