FX Pedals Thread: News, Views, Etc.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some Electro Harmonix pedals have Expression Pedal inputs, mostly the Deluxe/Big ones. I think you should be able to use/convert CV for them. I have the basic Big Muff, Double Muff and Bass Big Muff. All sound great. I will get the Deluxe versions soon. The only one that I don't really rate is the Germanium version, but that's just my taste.

The best is my Holy Stain. The expression input controls the Multi-FX side and it's nuts.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

khanyz wrote:Some Electro Harmonix pedals have Expression Pedal inputs, mostly the Deluxe/Big ones.
Yeah, I have a Memory Boy and a Deluxe Memory boy, both of which have Exp inputs which will respond to CV within a range of 0-5v. I can also use the Exp input on my Eventide Pitch Factor but it has a much smaller voltage range, so I need to scale down the CV coming from my modular. I just ordered a Pigtronix Envelope Phaser, which has an EXP and a Trigger input. I'm pretty excited about that.

I'm also looking at some of the WMD pedals, which look pretty rad. I talked to William Mathewson at a modular synth event not long ago, but of course we only talked about synths. :dog:

justin3am wrote:I've used some Devi Ever pedals but haven't been too impressed.
Which ones did you try and not like?

I don't know if this counts for anything but I've been collecting all those old shoe gazer multi-effects lately, such as the Midiverb II and FX500. Also, I've been using a Korg A3 and Rocktron Pro GAP for almost 30 years and those things have a lot of noise potential.

Soda Meiser and Beautiful Disaster. They did some cool stuff, but just didn't have the range I was looking for. A lot of fuzz pedals just seem to blow up when they are part of a feedback loop, like the controls don't do much when the output signal is fed back at high gain. But others will turn into these crazy timbre monsters. Difficult to control but really responsive to small adjustments, if that makes sense.

Interesting that you mention those DSP effects... I have a Boss SE-50 and a couple of the Boss micro rack delay boxes and they are just begging for abuse. I send audio signals to the hold input on the RPS-10 or use my eurorack sequencers to trigger patch changes on the SE-50. I'm gonna sound like a tone quester but there is a specific variety of grit to those old primitive digital delays, that I just love. :love:

justin3am wrote:
khanyz wrote:Some Electro Harmonix pedals have Expression Pedal inputs, mostly the Deluxe/Big ones.
Yeah, I have a Memory Boy and a Deluxe Memory boy, both of which have Exp inputs which will respond to CV within a range of 0-5v. I can also use the Exp input on my Eventide Pitch Factor but it has a much smaller voltage range, so I need to scale down the CV coming from my modular. I just ordered a Pigtronix Envelope Phaser, which has an EXP and a Trigger input. I'm pretty excited about that.

I'm also looking at some of the WMD pedals, which look pretty rad. I talked to William Mathewson at a modular synth event not long ago, but of course we only talked about synths. :dog:
...you remembered me to check if wmd still makes pedals (you know, all the modular explosion) and wow they do.

justin3am wrote:Soda Meiser and Beautiful Disaster. They did some cool stuff, but just didn't have the range I was looking for.
I've had and sold a Truly Beautiful Disaster and a Rocket (combination Soda Meiser and Vintage Fuzz). I wanted to love them both, but over time I found I just didn't. IIRC, the TBD filtered away a bit too much for synth and drum sounds though it probably would have been better for guitar.

I still love my Red Witch Fuzz God II though.

There's a channel on Youtube that makes great demos of a lot of interesting pedals. The channel name is 'knobs'. Lots of 'noisemakers' on that channel.

Picked up a couple of 'NU>X' pedals and they're looking good so far. They sound pretty good, too.

khanyz wrote:Some Electro Harmonix pedals have Expression Pedal inputs,
I'm considering the EH expression pedal, which is a bit pricey, but has (quoting from their description at http://www.ehx.com/products/expression-pedal):

- Expression / CV Pedal
- Exceptional control, plus instantaneous bypass switching that is completely silent
- Increase or decrease the expression sweep range with the Range dial
- Reverse the direction of the pedal's output with the Reverse control

I actually only have one pedal with an exp input (Memory Boy Deluxe), but the CV and range control should make it very useful as a third hand for modular tweaking as well. Any experiences/thoughts on this product?

I believe the EHX has a 10K range. Make sure that's compatible with your modular gear.

Uncle E wrote:I believe the EHX has a 10K range. Make sure that's compatible with your modular gear.
It looks like when you use this pedal with a TS cable, it actually provides a 0-5v CV source (which makes sense, as it has an input for a PSU). You only need to worry about the resistance of the control element when using it as a normal expression pedal (with a TRS cable).

Seems like a pretty nifty pedal. Since it doesn't use a pot or optical sensor, I wonder how it works... have gyroscope chips really gotten that cheap? :lol:

I'm thinking of getting an Orange Micro Dark to replace my Orange Crush as a practise amp. It has an FX Loop so I'm wondering if I should get a Lexicon MX200/TC M350 to use with it, rather than just pedals. I can get a bundle deal as I'm getting a 10" Cab (Celestion Tube 10), Gig Bag etc. too.

A good idea and which one? The Lexicon looks better for me as I like the reverbs in my Digitech and it's cheaper. I could just use my Digitech (RP155) but it's a pain to set up. I need something more twiddly.

I finally completed my TC mini board (thanks uncle e for the corona which was the last piece) all mounted on a pedaltrain nano+. Every pedal, the nano+ and the volto were purchased B stock or used other than the Tumnus. I got a great deal at Gearfest on that. So the board was really affordable.

It's powered by a Volto. And, I put a daisy chain on one of the two outputs of the Volto so I have two 9v feeds at the input end of the board. So I can put the tuner and wah on if I need to. Or anything else as long as it doesn't suck over 250mA. I did a full charge to dry test on the Volto with all pedals on including the tuner, but not the wah (because I forgot). It went almost 4 hours.

It all fits nicely in the nano+ bag. TC doesn't have a mini OD, so the Tumnus gets the nod. It's narrow enough that I can get 8 pedals on the nano+.

If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

oddly, the picture angle makes it look like the Tumnus and Ditto are hanging over the edges. Both are flush to the ends.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Nice, if I did that I'd have 2 rows of 4 with an A/B pedal. Could be worth a try.

Now if they only made a mini mojomojo.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”