Favorite granular effect?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i am a granular addict, which does not mean i have all the granular synths and/or effects (some can do both...), for granulars i don't get what is interesting about them, even after demoing them, and then i ask, sometimes, what is the attraction? i got a long time ago an answer about Granite (a synth), so now i can get why it is an interesting granular, still not for me, and no doubt; a great granular.

so what is the attraction of Portal, i never get it. (of course this is personal, i make no general statements...)

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:09 pm
parma wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:44 am This thread had me all excited to try Silo but at $179...yeesh
I just saw it on sale on FaceBook for $25, but it seems that sale is off.
SUMMER Sale 🌴 Unfiltered Audio SILO at $24.99
Checkout code: SUMMER22-SILO
Code expires June 13, 11:59pm PST

Harness the possibilities of granular processing to create otherworldly reverb sounds you’ll never forget.
Day late and a dollar short as they say :lol:

WasteLand wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:15 pm i am a granular addict, which does not mean i have all the granular synths and/or effects (some can do both...), for granulars i don't get what is interesting about them, even after demoing them, and then i ask, sometimes, what is the attraction? i got a long time ago an answer about Granite (a synth), so now i can get why it is an interesting granular, still not for me, and no doubt; a great granular.

so what is the attraction of Portal, i never get it. (of course this is personal, i make no general statements...)
Granite sounds rough and unpolished, not my favorite granular synth out there, i think what is so appealing to me is that granular sound is very textured and moving in a way, non static and interesting, for me that is the reason why i love granular.
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Another Puremagnetik btw. - Available together with Small Winters by Taylor Deupree. https://taylordeupree.bandcamp.com/album/small-winters
https://youtu.be/fpptVGq_9Wc
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:18 pm Another Puremagnetik btw. - Available together with Small Winters by Taylor Deupree. https://taylordeupree.bandcamp.com/album/small-winters
https://youtu.be/fpptVGq_9Wc
Their plugins are all the same, I don't understand their portfolio lol

Padshop took me by surprise. I'd heard of it for years but was never interested as my focus back then was rock, pop, reggae and ska. When I became an ambient musician, I still didn't demo Padshop because I had this silly notion that Steinberg would've put all their energy into developing Cubase and Nuendo and their other products would be inferior. When I did decide to give Padshop a looksee, I was floored. It's so full-featured and smooth sounding. Heretofore, some of the granular VST's I'd encountered were much more grainy, but Padshop's delicious textures are just what the doctor ordered.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Delta Sound Labs Stream... is it an effect? is it an instrument? is it both?

viewtopic.php?t=583160

Also, the Puremagnetik effects do not sound all the same to me... they are all quite different, experimental effects. I've been collecting them when they go on sale usually purchasing along with their latest record release. a full album and a plugin for $3!

I personally love this instrument Vectorspace. It runs in Reaktor:

https://reaktortips.com/2015/05/vectorspace.html

killmaster wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:02 am I personally love this instrument Vectorspace. It runs in Reaktor:

I never understood why this didn't blow up...such a fast and intuitive workflow...it's like a mini workstation...if this had of kept being developed with a different synthesis method in every joystick...you already have granular and PM....the way it records gestures from the mouse and replays them,...such a fun an intuitive way to interact with the play-head and deterministically "play" your sound design
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

bermudagold wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:18 am
killmaster wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:02 am I personally love this instrument Vectorspace. It runs in Reaktor:

I never understood why this didn't blow up...such a fast and intuitive workflow...it's like a mini workstation...if this had of kept being developed with a different synthesis method in every joystick...you already have granular and PM....the way it records gestures from the mouse and replays them,...such a fun an intuitive way to interact with the play-head and deterministically "play" your sound design
Yes, totally agree with this! It really feels like a self contained playable instrument in it's own right.

I did this song with it: https://soundcloud.com/ret-sam-llik/sha ... al_sharing

But it's capable of so much variety so I hesitate to send a small example.

plexuss wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:15 pm Delta Sound Labs Stream... is it an effect? is it an instrument? is it both?

viewtopic.php?t=583160

Also, the Puremagnetik effects do not sound all the same to me... they are all quite different, experimental effects. I've been collecting them when they go on sale usually purchasing along with their latest record release. a full album and a plugin for $3!
The new one is actually quite different to the older ones. Can recommend this, as it is pretty smooth and also unique. And like Plexuss said, $3 for an Ambient Album plus the Device, which was also used on that Album.

Imaginando birthday sale, FRMS is available for 80% off for a short time. What think the folk here?

Like it a lot, as same as the other stuff from Imaginando. Just make sure to test it on your system first, if the GUI is big enough to work with.

martiu wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:19 pm
WasteLand wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:15 pm i am a granular addict, which does not mean i have all the granular synths and/or effects (some can do both...), for granulars i don't get what is interesting about them, even after demoing them, and then i ask, sometimes, what is the attraction? i got a long time ago an answer about Granite (a synth), so now i can get why it is an interesting granular, still not for me, and no doubt; a great granular.

Granite sounds rough and unpolished, not my favorite granular synth out there, i think what is so appealing to me is that granular sound is very textured and moving in a way, non static and interesting, for me that is the reason why i love granular.
i had forgotten to post a reaction.... i think you react, add something about Granite, i think i remember that also, that the envelopes?? i don't know, but the main attraction; the 'gestures'.
well. that can be done in other ways. of course personal.

you describe one of the main attractions (...) of granular very well. or is it the main attaction?
granular can do a lot of 'stuff'.. well, i work quite ad hoc, to remember all the things i did with granular synths or effects... and well, not all original, me think, but work 'original'..., do always my own presets.

i don't quite understand how presets can work, especially with granular effects, it does so much depend on the source. but again personal, perhaps...

in a granular synth i can understand it, but, then; well i want to use my own samples (sometimes made with granular synths, and again through another one... well, so many roads... paths, hills, etc...).

El°HYM wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:22 pm Like it a lot, as same as the other stuff from Imaginando. Just make sure to test it on your system first, if the GUI is big enough to work with.
It’s great and the GUI is resizable, so should be big enough for most.

Return to “Effects”