FXpansion Spam email ?spam? Turbo

Archive support for: fxpansion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SKoT_FX wrote:Please, read "rat-sniffer" is a good way - that was how it is intended. Bad wordage on my part. We've had a lot of customers and friends putting forward theories, offering white hat hacking advice, giving us leads. I simply meant "the suggested theory isn't one we need to consider in this instance".

In cases like this, to be able to "smell a rat" (ie think up avenues for investigation) is an invaluable service and prized skill. This is the sort of thing the Ohmies would get away with saying, doh..!

We will be making an official announcement early next week. After a lot of extremely thorough trawling of logs and web systems analysis, exchanging information with other companies that were similarly attacked by the same hacker, and putting formal legal pressure on ClickBank to reveal the spammer/hacker's identity and address - all of which take time, and have a due process, some of it has involved lawyers - we are now very confident we know what happened, and what needs to happen next, and that its under control.

It is for our web team to make the formal statement next week; but the fact that you haven't heard from us yet was because we were making sure we could demonstrate full understanding of the situation, and prepare proper, detailed duty of care for the next stage. If anything had come to light requiring urgent attention, you would have heard from us much, much sooner.

This is an excellent response and I look forward to reading your official statement.

Thanks,
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

It's been repeatedly stated that the DubTurbo folks are being cooperative in this investigation. But surely they knew very quickly who the perpetrator was. If it was indeed an affiliate, then they'd be instantly identified as soon as you followed the email link and clicked through them to get to the DubTurbo site. That's how affiliates get paid. So why hasn't this information been shared?

ClickBank holds the real identity details of all "affiliates", not individual vendors, and apparently there is nothing stopping any affiliate from spruiking your stuff. DubTurbo has ceased their arrangements with ClickBank, as the lack of control over affiliates in this arrangement can backfire spectacularly.

More later. We don't want to compromise Things Afoot, and they are getting quite a-footy just now.
SKoT McDonald
BFD | inMusic

GET 'EM!

or should I say.......

We have identified the source of the intrusion, closed the security hole and run a full analysis of the breach. This analysis has determined:

* User names, first names, and email addresses were accessed from our web server without permission.
* No customer passwords were taken, and no other personal details were taken.
* No customer financial details (accounts/credit card numbers etc.) are stored by us and none were accessed.

Information on the identity of the individual responsible has been passed on to the appropriate authorities.

We have reviewed our security and redoubled our efforts to ensure it meets best practice. We apologise for the inconvenience to our customers and assure them that we will do our utmost to prevent any future breach.

Glad to here it's been worked on. If the authorities don't do something, name and shame! :borg:
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

hibidy wrote: or should I say.......

:lol:

Btw, i really hope they are saying the truth by saying only the user name was snooped out. I really can't be arsed to be a victim of data theft due to a company not taking the necessary precautions to story my data safely... if that should happen to me another time, i will have to use a fake name and adress.

That's a reasonable point. This makes me worried with all the addresses and stuff that I've filled out. Internet theft is a hefty business, I have no clue what to do about people who do this kinda thing. I certainly don't trust a company like "lifelock" either, who knows what dirty little hands are at work there.

mikusan wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:...Let's just face it:

You got hacked black and blue, and you are stunned. You don't know what the hell happened to you. You are wide open. And the last thing you are going to do is admit that to your paying customers.

This could have been done in private, but no, just like the governments of the day, you will not admit weakness or vulnerability, and anyone that questions you must be crushed by whatever means.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

The longer your silence, the greater the roar from the paranoid crowd.

Yours, Rat-Sniffer-General...
Ay caramba, this is you giving FXP 'the benefit of the doubt' :lol:

Just a suggestion: maybe the 'paranoid crowd' should drink a little less coffee? :hihi:
Yep, I'm paranoid.
And yep, this is me giving the benefit of the doubt. :hihi:

Many companies got hacked worse.

The trouble with this one is it went a little too high profile.
Probably not intended.

Bit too much trouble to use to its full extent without disproportionate trouble.

I think we are fairly safe for now.

I for one would never feel safe until I know exactly how the gates got breached. And of course, no one is going to tell me. Not even by PM.

Damage done is greater to FXpansion than the gain to crackers. Talk about destroying your host...

Sometimes some of us need a harsh sharp shock of a wake up call.

I miss dub turbo.

hibidy wrote:I miss dub turbo.
How so? You can still get it while it's hot!
I did and I can't stop making all those phat ass hiphop beats anytime!

- Sascha
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Sascha Franck wrote:
hibidy wrote:I miss dub turbo.
How so? You can still get it while it's hot!
I did and I can't stop making all those phat ass hiphop beats anytime!

- Sascha
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear phat-ass-beats self-generating in my head, every-time I even read the NAME "dub-turbo"... it IS that bad-ass-powerful!!!
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I had my info jacked yet again in the recent Ubisoft hacking. Twice in a month; lucky me. I think more may have been taken in the Ubi hack, can't remember. They definitely got encrypted passwords in the Ubi one. Hopefully incidents like this and the Ubisoft one will bring into focus just how shit-hot online sellers have to be when it comes to protecting their customers' details. Hopefully there won't be a third time for me.

this is old news isn't it

The one who bumps this thread in a couple of months will agree with you ;-)
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Return to “FXpansion”