Sononym sample management/browser

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sononym

I'm demoing Sononym so pardon me if this is a simple question (I didn't see it in the docs). Does anyone know if there's a way to pause or stop a Similarity Search while continuing to comb through the current results? Or run it for just long enough to get a batch of results?

The search will get slow with >100k samples in a library, so I'd love it to just stop while I listen to the first 100-200 results. I haven't found a way to stop the search without resetting all the filters.

EDIT: I did find a little workaround - as soon as you start applying filters the search starts going much faster. And if you turn off "Reset filters prior to starting a similarity search" it won't lag out before you can apply filters.

Hi oneway,
Cool that you discovered that little option :-)
Keeping the current filters when launching a new similarity search indeed used to be the default option, but user interviews revealed that most people found it strange that so few results would come up. Thus, we decided that it would be better to search "everything" (but still keep the old method around for those who'd prefer it).
Does anyone know if there's a way to pause or stop a Similarity Search while continuing to comb through the current results?
This is a great suggestion. Actually, I was just in touch with someone on our support who had the same idea (was that you?), and promised that we'd do our best to add this functionality in our upcoming release.

Last edited by wvshpr on Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by wvshpr on Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I hope they do something about the performance for large databases. I love Sononym, but it is almost unusable for me.

wvshpr wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:20 am
fuse wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:08 am https://trello.com/b/5CAMhCj1/sononym-roadmap
I should have mentioned that I do know about the roadmap, but it's also not been updated in a while and it's unclear from that what will be in the next update despite Apple Silicon support.
Yep, I pretty much gave up on them. IMO sometimes what happens with companies like them is they make some software they start licensing to other businesses, at premium prices, so their main application starts getting ignored. I mean they make one piece of software, and they're last in line for Apple Silicon.

wvshpr wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:54 am Any insights on what is coming next and when?
Sononym dev here, happy to answer you.
First of all, don't worry about us not spending time on developing the software - we do, it's just that we are a small team consisting only of a couple of devs.

And indeed, the transition to Apple Silicon has delayed the upcoming release a bit longer than expected. For example, we had to re-implement all apple-specific audio codecs - that wasn't part of our plan to begin with. But replacing our legacy audioserver was long overdue anyway and will improve things for all platforms.

And when it comes to the roadmap, it pretty much spills the beans and was last updated a couple of weeks ago: Better approach to organization (as in move/copy/rename files), metadata support and more. All that work is pretty much done, the Apple specific stuff is the last remaining part.

Last edited by wvshpr on Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danoise wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:33 am
wvshpr wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:54 am Any insights on what is coming next and when?
First of all, don't worry about us not spending time on developing the software - we do, it's just that we are a small team consisting only of a couple of devs.

And indeed, the transition to Apple Silicon has delayed the upcoming release a bit longer than expected. For example, we had to re-implement all apple-specific audio codecs - that wasn't part of our plan to begin with. But replacing our legacy audioserver was long overdue anyway and will improve things for all platforms.

And when it comes to the roadmap, it pretty much spills the beans and was last updated a couple of weeks ago: Better approach to organization (as in move/copy/rename files), metadata support and more. All that work is pretty much done, the Apple specific stuff is the last remaining part.
Will custom tags apply to loops as well ? It's the one thing I found disappointing with the program not being able to tag loops, I don't really care if the program doesn't auto detect them, I'd just like the ability to tag them myself

danoise wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:33 am
How's the development going? Been a while since the last update, just wondered if it's still being worked on? Thanks

dunohearno wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:35 am How's the development going? Been a while since the last update
No worries - the next update will drop in a couple of weeks.

And indeed: historically, we have released major updates once or twice a year, and this time it's only "once" :-)

Excellent, happy to see some more life in this product! It rocks, and I'd love for Sononym to grow more and more. Looking forward to the update.

Probably one of my best purchases ever. I have Atlas, XO and Sononym and nothing makes my sample library more accessible in all it's depth than Sononym.

Really looking forward to this update. Sononym is the last thing on my new mac using rosetta.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”