Bad sounding room

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

o'malley wrote:Cubicle walls make great isolation panels. Sometimes people give them away for free. Like if a company gets new ones or something.
They are magic.
A bitch to move and too damn heavy, but they are the best soundproofing/sound absorbing material I have ever used.

And if you have a pal in the office furniture biz ask them to set some aside, because (here in the US at least), they throw these things away all the time!!

bduffy wrote:What about if you have windows+metal framework on one side and a video editing station on the other?
The windows should act as a sort of bass trap by letting the bass through.

The glass, however, is very reflective and will bounch the highs and mids. You will need to put some drapes or something over them.

PT wrote:
bduffy wrote:What about if you have windows+metal framework on one side and a video editing station on the other?
The windows should act as a sort of bass trap by letting the bass through.

The glass, however, is very reflective and will bounch the highs and mids. You will need to put some drapes or something over them.
Yeah...this I already know. My mixes are crap outta that room. Thought I'd see what you guys think The boss might not like covering up the windows...then again, they won't see me spending all my time here at KVR.

There isn't much I can do about it, which sucks; that's the Nuendo 3 room with Event TR6 monitors. :(

I've been thinking about taking a big cardboard box and cutting a door in it, then sticking accoustic foam to the inside of it. It's not to deaden the reverb as much as it is to keep the neighbors from hearing me.

My voice sounds great for rock music, but only at VERY high volumes. As a result I'm afraid the neigbors will call the cops whenever I do vocals :x

Odds are that my idea isn't very good though. For instance, there will probably be a lot of bass in there, and it will also be completely dark in there. I also won't be able to reach the recording controls, so multiple takes will probably be pretty time consuming,

Why are real isolation booths and psychic DAW controls so damn expensive? :D
Excuse all the blood.

What are cubicle walls?

Zoomby wrote:What are cubicle walls?

Return to “Production Techniques”