PRODUCTS

Ok here is a list of the MPE plugins and if they have this bug:

NOT working
==========

CMI V
CZ V
JUN-6 V
JUP-8 V4
MS-20 V (Cycle and Reassign voice allocation)
Prophet-5 V
Prophet-VS V

Working
======

Augmented Strings (voice steal rotate)
Augmented Voices (voice steal rotate)
Emulator II V
OP-XA V
Pigments
SQ80
CS-80 V4
Last edited by BobDog on Thu May 25, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

@fertilesound I have sent you a private message.

BobDog wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:58 am Ok here is a list of the MPE plugins and if they have this bug:

NOT working
==========

CMI V
CS-80 V4
CZ V
JUN-6 V
JUP-8 V4
Prophet-5 V
Prophet-VS V

Working
======

Emulator II V
OP-XA V
Pigments
SQ80
Hi Andy, thanks again for all your help! I tested all the synths you mentioned and can confirm that the NOT working synths you listed have this same behavior for me except CS-80V4. That one worked for me, as in, it did not exhibit this same-note-off behavior.

Now, for the Working synths, Augmented Voices and Augmented Strings both DID exhibit this behavior, but the others did not.

While I'm disappointed things are not working smoothly, I am relieved to find that it's neither me nor my LS that is the problem.

On the other hand, it's a bit frustrating to find that Arturia isn't doing better testing on these themselves before releasing them. There's only really 5 MPE controllers on the market right now, with LS and Roli being the only 2 major ones. How hard would it be for the developers at Arturia to get these units and test them out while developing? How can they confidently advertise these synths as "MPE Compatible" when they don't even bother getting one of the only major MPE controllers on the market to test with? :roll:

Roger, this may be an opportunity to give/loan Arturia an LS of their own so they can get their implementation more solid before releasing next time. Because it's this kind of half-baked approach to MPE that's going to continue to slow its adoption in the industry, and makes it look like a gimmicky trend, rather than the revolutionary next step in synthesizer expression that it is.

Again, apologies for the soap box, but this issue has sucked up an immense amount of my time over the last few months I've had my LS. Hoping Arturia reads this and sees how important this is and gets this fixed soon!
Last edited by fertilesound on Thu May 25, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

fertilesound wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:07 am There's only really 5 MPE controllers on the market right now, with LS and Roli being the only 2 major ones. How hard would it be for the developers at Arturia to get these units and test them out while developing? How can they confidently advertise these synths as "MPE Compatible" when they don't even bother getting one of the only major MPE controllers on the market to test with? :roll:
Definitely more than 5. I assume your questions are rhetorical, but if you are serious you can ask them to Arturia's Lead Support Tech you were talking to earlier.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:26 am Definitely more than 5. I assume your questions are rhetorical, but if you are serious you can ask them to Arturia's Lead Support Tech you were talking to earlier.
Thanks for the link FranklyFlawless. Good to see more and more MPE controllers getting released. But most of those are obscure, discontinued, or just multiple versions/products from the same developer. So I think my point stands.

Even if not, I don’t think anyone can argue that LS and Roli are the two major ones, aside from the new Push now. So there should be no excuse not to at least test more with those and make sure the compatibility is solid with those at least before releasing.

fertilesound wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:39 am
FranklyFlawless wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:26 am Definitely more than 5. I assume your questions are rhetorical, but if you are serious you can ask them to Arturia's Lead Support Tech you were talking to earlier.
Thanks for the link FranklyFlawless. Good to see more and more MPE controllers getting released. But most of those are obscure, discontinued, or just multiple versions/products from the same developer. So I think my point stands.

Even if not, I don’t think anyone can argue that LS and Roli are the two major ones, aside from the new Push now. So there should be no excuse not to at least test more with those and make sure the compatibility is solid with those at least before releasing.
MPE controllers are obscure in general - your perspective of only 5 is proof of that, which is why I informed you with my comprehensive list. Now that you are aware of the multitude of options available, dismissing them to continue reinforcing your point of only 5 makes no sense.

Over here in British Columbia, Canada, Tom Lee Music stopped listing the LinnStrument (128) and ROLI products. Now the only MPE hardware controller carried by them and Long & McQuade is the Expressive E Osmose. As far as either of them are concerned, that is the only MPE hardware controller that will ever profitably sell to customers.

fertilesound wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:07 am
BobDog wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:58 am Ok here is a list of the MPE plugins and if they have this bug:

NOT working
==========

CMI V
CS-80 V4
CZ V
JUN-6 V
JUP-8 V4
Prophet-5 V
Prophet-VS V

Working
======

Emulator II V
OP-XA V
Pigments
SQ80
Hi Andy, thanks again for all your help! I tested all the synths you mentioned and can confirm that the NOT working synths you listed have this same behavior for me except CS-80V4. That one worked for me, as in, it did not exhibit this same-note-off behavior.

Now, for the Working synths, Augmented Voices and Augmented Strings both DID exhibit this behavior, but the others did not.

While I'm disappointed things are not working smoothly, I am relieved to find that it's neither me nor my LS that is the problem.

On the other hand, it's a bit frustrating to find that Arturia isn't doing better testing on these themselves before releasing them. There's only really 5 MPE controllers on the market right now, with LS and Roli being the only 2 major ones. How hard would it be for the developers at Arturia to get these units and test them out while developing? How can they confidently advertise these synths as "MPE Compatible" when they don't even bother getting one of the only major MPE controllers on the market to test with? :roll:

Roger, this may be an opportunity to give/loan Arturia an LS of their own so they can get their implementation more solid before releasing next time. Because it's this kind of half-baked approach to MPE that's going to continue to slow its adoption in the industry, and makes it look like a gimmicky trend, rather than the revolutionary next step in synthesizer expression that it is.

Again, apologies for the soap box, but this issue has sucked up an immense amount of my time over the last few months I've had my LS. Hoping Arturia reads this and sees how important this is and gets this fixed soon!
I will have another look at CS80.

For the augmented synths set them to "voice steal rotate"

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 14.00.57.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yep CS-80 V4 is working fine, I must have been confused!

I have update the post here and the bug report.

Ok awesome, no worries. Thanks Andy!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”