Plastic strip mod

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can get the same polystyrene strips Lars purchased from AK Interactive. They seem to ship internationally.

I still sometimes get a "broken" slide because the LinnStrument triggers a note in between if I don't apply a stronger touch when sliding.
Makes sense. Since your strips are a fraction higher than the surface, they will break the continuity of the touch much easier.
Also not sure if the strips drop out. If you slide vertically (which you should not, I understand), you can accidentally slide them out. I also wonder if it would have been a better compromise to get strips that are slightly less high, as @LarsDaniel pointed out.
I don't understand how you are able to slide them out. They are stopped in both ends by the metal plate, right? So I am thinking, perhaps they do not have the great fit that my strips have. Mine litterally makes a tiny "click" sound when I push them in place. 8)
And yes, what I have learned so far, is that exactly 0.5mm is awesome, and I have gone back to these after trying out 0.3mm. The thing is that still having a little gap, does not feel nearly as good as the zero gap, and the drawback of the 0.5mm as described earlier (the breaking of super soft glides), is simply not something I encounter when I play actual music.

LarsDaniel wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:41 pm Makes sense. Since your strips are a fraction higher than the surface, they will break the continuity of the touch much easier.

Could be, yes. But I also have that problem without the stripes and I hoped that they would improve on it. Probably I just need to develop a better Feel for the LinnStrument in this regard (like you need to with other instruments, too)
LarsDaniel wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:41 pm I don't understand how you are able to slide them out. They are stopped in both ends by the metal plate, right? So I am thinking, perhaps they do not have the great fit that my strips have. Mine litterally makes a tiny "click" sound when I push them in place. 8)
Ok, maybe I should have cut the stripes to end with the metal plate, not with the pads. They do slide out because they bend. Not sure that changes if they are cut to reach the metal plates. But this is actually not a real problem, why should you slide upwards on the stripe itself? This would only be an accident.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Fannon wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:37 pm
LarsDaniel wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:41 pm Makes sense. Since your strips are a fraction higher than the surface, they will break the continuity of the touch much easier.
Could be, yes. But I also have that problem without the stripes and I hoped that they would improve on it. Probably I just need to develop a better Feel for the LinnStrument in this regard (like you need to with other instruments, too)
You can increase the pressure sensitivity or the touch sensor prescale to reduce and/or eliminate that issue. If you are considering the latter, write down the initial factory-calibrated value, in case you change your mind later. Note that increasing the touch sensor prescale value will also scale with velocity sensitivity.

Good point.

So how are the styrene strips after a month? Did any new issues come up while using them?

I've got the Evergreen, mostly the .508mm, and a few of the .380mm. They work great. You can feel the 508 ones just barely above the surface, not enough to impact the feel of sliding, although when sliding with low pressure, it does cause a little bit of a pressure rise when going over them. The 380 ones you can clearly feel the groove, but sliding is definitely still easier than without them. I may in fact switch to 380 at some point if the subtle pressure bumps of the 508 end up being problematic.

Overall, this is a great mod for me, makes sliding around much more elegant to my way of playing anyway.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:56 am So how are the styrene strips after a month? Did any new issues come up while using them?
I love them. I am using the 0.5mm and the fit is just perfect. No problems whatsoever.

This is the product: (This is on a website in Poland) https://www.super-hobby.dk/products/Str ... UNITS.html
One strip fits two vertical column "gaps".

I finally got round to doing this using 0.50x2.00 mm AK strips and they just lift off when I am playing!

Are people sticking them down or something?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:11 am I finally got round to doing this using 0.50x2.00 mm AK strips and they just lift off when I am playing!

Are people sticking them down or something?
Odd. Mine sits completely snug, once I have pushed them into the gaps.
I don’t know it changes anything for you, but note that the strips have slightly sharper edges on one side (likely due to the manufacturing process). So they can be mounted in two ways. I use them “sharp edges down”.

I have had one or two strips that were just a bit narrower, so they could not stay in place. So theoreticly you could have hit a whole batch that was too narrow in width, and I have just been lucky. Or perhaps your silicone could be a bit over-stretched horizontally. (By losening the screws, one can stretch or not stretch the silicone.)
Just thinking out loud here…

Thanks for the reply Lars.

I have tried them up both way, they lift off very easily.

I just measured them and my digital micrometer has them at 0.45 x 1.9.

I have another bag here, I will try them...

Actually the other bag seems to be worse, from 1.75 to 1.85.

I have an old surface somewhere, I will attach that and glue them down to see if I like it...

Damn. So it sounds like I got the lucky batch.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”