Experiences with Micromonsta 2?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I run my LS DIN MIDI would to the MM2, and power them both from a powered USB hub. It's a wonderful combination.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:54 am
waraukaeru wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:10 am I'm thinking about a Micromonsta 2.

I am assuming you have to connect the LinnStrument through the MIDI IN port though, right? Micromonsta 2 only has USB-B so I assume it doesn't work in Host mode. And you need external power for the LinnStrument?
No, you use the LinnStrument's MIDI OUT port to connect to the MicroMonsta 2's MIDI TRS Type-A port. The MicroMonsta 2's USB-B port is only for external power. . . .
From the MicroMonsta 2 User Manual:
"On the rear panel :
• USB B port for power and USB MIDI
• 3.5mm stereo jack MIDI input (MIDI A Standard)
• 3.5mm stereo output (line out / headphones out)"

You can't connect Linnstrument directly to MM2 via USB midi, they're both USB clients and that's not how USB midi works. But you should be able to connect both to the same USB midi host (e.g., Mac/PC/iPad) and connect Linnstrument to MM2 via USB cables that way. I haven't tested yet myself, but will try next time I'm using both together.

hesitz wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:11 pm You can't connect Linnstrument directly to MM2 via USB midi, they're both USB clients and that's not how USB midi works. But you should be able to connect both to the same USB midi host (e.g., Mac/PC/iPad) and connect Linnstrument to MM2 via USB cables that way. I haven't tested yet myself, but will try next time I'm using both together.
This indeed works just fine; I've been using LS and MM2 together this way since I got the latter. In my case the MIDI Host is a Raspberry Pi, configured to send the MIDI Out of the LS to the MIDI In of the MM2.

hesitz wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:11 pm From the MicroMonsta 2 User Manual:
"On the rear panel :
• USB B port for power and USB MIDI
• 3.5mm stereo jack MIDI input (MIDI A Standard)
• 3.5mm stereo output (line out / headphones out)"

You can't connect Linnstrument directly to MM2 via USB midi, they're both USB clients and that's not how USB midi works. But you should be able to connect both to the same USB midi host (e.g., Mac/PC/iPad) and connect Linnstrument to MM2 via USB cables that way. I haven't tested yet myself, but will try next time I'm using both together.
I understand now, thank you for informing me. If I had realized this sooner I would have not bothered getting the MicroMonsta 2.

It is a great little synth though, if I wanted a compact setup with a USB host filling in the gap then there are standalone little boxes that can act as USB MIDI hosts these days.

Honestly, USB MIDI host for this setup is not that big a deal, and can cause ground loops. With USB power to the MM2 and LS, and a DIN to TRS cable, it's 1 extra cable for a very portable and good sounding setup.

A whole extra cable?

The humanity! :wink:

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:54 am No, you use the LinnStrument's MIDI OUT port to connect to the MicroMonsta 2's MIDI TRS Type-A port. The MicroMonsta 2's USB-B port is only for external power. The LinnStrument also needs external power either by using the USB-B port on both models, or by using the DC barrel jack on the 200.
Thanks! That confirms what I was thinking.

Rimwolf wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:32 pm In my case the MIDI Host is a Raspberry Pi, configured to send the MIDI Out of the LS to the MIDI In of the MM2.
Raspberry Pi as a small and simple USB-MIDI host and router is a great idea. I might copy you there.

Kalee wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm Alright,

I got the MM2 now:
Works beautifully with Linnstrument midi routed through Ableton Live + midi clock works well.

But as soon as I playback recorded midi the problems start, and failed to debug the issue so far. Maybe a bit more modern laptop could help.
Alright!

Maybe there has been an OS update or Ableton Live update that did something. Now when I power Micromonsta 2 from laptop and use USB midi, I do not have any problem sending X/Y/Z note info with multiple fingers, and midi clock stays solid on Micromonsta 2 end too!

Using USB for power and midi introduces lots of unwanted noise. Using Behringer HD400 between Micromonsta 2 and mixer reduces this to zero. I had even full live performance master bus chain at the end that increases loudness quite a bit.

Micromonsta 2 uses CC74 for filter cutoff, and if Linnstrument is not set to send CC74, Micromonsta 2 seems to default to, or receive 0 value for CC74 instead of 64. Ableton Live specific solution to this is to use "MPE Control". This way presets sound the same with MPE mode enabled as without MPE.

System: Macbook Air M1 8gb, Macos Sonoma 14.2.1, Ableton Live 11.3.11
--

None of this is a Linnstrument support issue of anykind, but good info for people wanting to use Linnstrument without problems with other external gear.

I'm really happy to finally being able to use polyphonic pitchbend + aftertouch! :)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”